Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

434 North Orange Avenue

AKA Golden Sparrow

X Orlando will be a mixed use project located at 434 N. Orange Avenue, the remaining undeveloped parcels of the Central Station project. The project will be built in three phases. Phase 1 includes 290 residential units in a 16-story tower. The Phase 1 units also wrap the Orange Avenue and Livingston Street facades of the garage podium. Additionally, Phase 1 includes 41,000 square feet of retail/commercial space on the ground floor, and approximately 498 parking spaces in a 7-level podium garage.

April 2018 ARB Staff Report:  ARB2017-00022report.pdf

Edited by bic
Edited Title

They changed quite a bit, and got a lot of "nice try, but" from the ARB. 

Some highlights include: Comments on the massive bulk of the podium, comments on ill-conceived "green walls", comments on some downright horrific mural art renderings on the podium, comments on lack of distinctive architecture and cohesiveness including: "Skyline Architecture – The proposed “wings” on the top of each tower are becoming an overused element in the Orlando skyline. Currently there are two new projects in close vicinity to the X Orlando project that have been approved with the rooftop wings and several existing buildings, such as The Vue and Florida Hospital in the skyline that already utilize them. Staff encourages the design team to continue to exam their skyline architecture and to develop a distinctive treatment that will make the X Orlando project a uique skyline feature. The skyline architecture should include decorative lighting and also address the views from the west as strongly as it addresses the views from the east."

ARB is doing their job and making them redesign it significantly. We will see a better design for this in the future. 

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/04/ARB2018-10011report.pdf

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

Unfortunately, the early renderings weren't placeholders. Also, the tallest building now appears to be phase III.

If this thing goes and they build it in three phases, better get used to the idea of seeing this for probably a few years...

xorl1.png

xorl2.png

And if the economy or the local housing market takes a dive, we could be looking at it for a decade. Or two. :wacko:

• Like 1

They can do any number of things to make the towers look better. I am more concerned about the giant podium with awful human scale (and even worse initial art) and the phased nature of the design. It seems like they went at this from a money standpoint as in we can do this much at first, this much if that works, and then finally, finish with this, hence the 3 towers of successively taller towers and giant base, without a lot of variety. 

Developer is driving this based upon money available and grandiose plans. Needs to be driven by a design team in order to be successful.  I don't think they have the money to do the whole thing from what I have seen so far. 

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I noticed that with one of your prior posts in another thread...

It’s automatically embedding the PDF on mobile...which looks great when it works.  Unfortunately I couldn’t even paste the link otherwise.     Will have to try to get to a PC next time 

53 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

They can do any number of things to make the towers look better. I am more concerned about the giant podium with awful human scale (and even worse initial art) and the phased nature of the design. It seems like they went at this from a money standpoint as in we can do this much at first, this much if that works, and then finally, finish with this, hence the 3 towers of successively taller towers and giant base, without a lot of variety. 

Developer is driving this based upon money available and grandiose plans. Needs to be driven by a design team in order to be successful.  I don't think they have the money to do the whole thing from what I have seen so far. 

They're  building X Las Olas all at once. But I think they downsized a bit. BTW, even the initial design of X Las Olas looked better than this.

10 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Perhaps because they are building X Las Olas at once, their balance sheet has diminished and they are relying upon success of other projects and goodwill to try to get financing for new projects. 

And they've shelved their supertall in Miami. They're not even going to activate their spectacular sales center when it's completed. Funny, when that project was announced, Miami forumers were lauding PMG has an outfit who knew how to get things done.

No, they can't. Access to garages is along that street. If this developer were smart, they would keep more greenspace/pedestrian space and/or a plaza that lines up to the Central Station and the courthouse instead of filling all of the ground with a giant absolutely unapproachable parking garage. (as Alex has adeptly shown above). This is a very poor design. Better to go taller and tie into the local traffic creators of the future for a property this important next to our supposed central transit station. I would hope that they can see this and the ARB can force them into more meaningful design to think about multi-transit, pedestrian, bike, and street-level design as opposed to a giant, ugly, parking garage, car-oriented monstrosity.  Also, they are designing to Orange and Livingston, but completely ignoring the west side that abuts our Central Station and I-4, which are two gateways of our city. They should be designing toward that perspective as well and toward the future as opposed to designing with an over-emphasis on Orange. Open it up and look at the future possibilities of transit and of the Creative Village on the other side. 

I would actually prefer a pedestrian collonade and plaza next to the street and bus-loop along Livingston for the connection of the transit, Creative Village, and recently proposed Radius and perhaps redeveloped Travelodge. Would do wonders for the area and really be a connector to our CBD with actual transit options and walkable areas in close proximity to Lake Eola. And put another Grocery store or a Drugstore or an Urban Target/Walmart there!  So much Win available. 

This site has some of the most important alternative transportation factors in all of downtown, given its proximity to SunRail, Gertrude's walk/OUT, Creative Village, Lymmo, the Under-I and Lynx Central itself. I am hoping for a complete redesign with taller towers, 2 phases, less parking garage, and a plaza around either the central alley that connects Lynx Central to the Courthouse or along Livingston to tie into the Creative Village via Under-I and the bike lanes to the east.  This is a very important site and I hope they do it right eventually!

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 4

the whole entire thing is hideous. throw it away  :(

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:23 PM, tc01 said:

They should go with a design similar to Brickell City Center in Miami.

7cw59gx411wk2b4x.jpg

this is much better. just copy this design with the building on the right that says "east" on the top and call it a day

• Like 1