Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

9 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Redesign for approval this week

IMG_0866.JPG

I just don't get the extremely similar heights or lack thereof of the three towers.

The squattiness in this town is starting to get to me.  Believe me, I'll take this height over Crescent and over 520 Church, but with a vertical opportunity present, why make it so squatty?

Anyway, the shortest "tower" should be adjacent to Crescent, right, for the step down effect?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I just don't get the extremely similar heights or lack thereof of the three towers.

The squattiness in this town is starting to get to me.  Believe me, I'll take this height over Crescent and over 520 Church, but with a vertical opportunity present, why make it so squatty?

Anyway, the shortest "tower" should be adjacent to Crescent, right, for the step down effect?

The shortest tower is supposed to be near Bank of America

• Like 1

He said what "should be" not what is planned. Step down in height from BOA to Crescent would be ideal.

What we get is a stubby tower next to Livingston across from BOA, with a giant parking pedestal fronting Orange in phase one. God knows if we will ever get to phase 2 or 3, and though planned taller in initial renderings, I doubt they ever happen that way. Start tall without the pedestal on Orange first. You can add later if you don't Eff it up, Mr. Developer. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

He said what "should be" not what is planned. Step down in height from BOA to Crescent would be ideal.

What we get is a stubby tower next to Livingston across from BOA, with a giant parking pedestal fronting Orange in phase one. God knows if we will ever get to phase 2 or 3, and though planned taller in initial renderings, I doubt they ever happen that way. Start tall without the pedestal on Orange first. You can add later if you don't Eff it up, Mr. Developer. 

Well, I guess I don't know what that language means then, sorry.

I finally read the full report and I was surprised that the units along Orange were removed because the ARB requested that.  They wanted the drop-off area on Orange to mirror the drop-off area for the Courthouse.  I think it would look better if there were units facing Orange and the garage was hidden.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I keep forgetting that UCF's campus is u/c across I-4 from there.  There is a higher probability that this project will get it's later phases built because of that.  right?

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I don't get the hang up about a "step down" or which direction it should go. I think a staggered height arrangement with the tallest one in the middle looks more interesting and less repetitive than just mimicking and repeating the BOA right next door. Two stepped down buildings right next to each other might be a bit much. 

...just to appease the good folks at Crescent is all...

Crescent was underbuilt and that space underutilized.   Crescent had an opportunity to breakup that mega block and create something of a pedestrian experience.  The W Amelia side is a huge failure. 

I hope Crescent's appeal is denied so that other, more dense developments, can help to correct the situation around this site.

• Like 4

The design appears to have been approved.

The board liked the new light boxes on top. It will require sodding on the Phase 2 & 3 sites (on top of the pedestal??) if those phases are not permitted when Phase 1 obtains its COO.

On the green wall, the developer needs to put up a bond (for possible replacement if the wall is not sustainable).  Makes good sense.

The project looks ready for permitting, pending some minor formalities and resolution of the appeal (if it's still active).

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/08/ARB2018-08agenda.pdf

Edited by I am Reality
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Channel 9 Eye-Missed-It  News tonight reporting that X Orlando has passed ARB.

Phase one to be 17 stories.

Video from earlier this afternoon:

http://www.wftv.com/video?videoId=823982693&videoVersion=1.0

We knew it would be 17 stories, which is fine. But didnt know it passed. Thak you.

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Channel 9 Eye-Missed-It  News tonight reporting that X Orlando has passed ARB.

Phase one to be 17 stories.

Video from earlier this afternoon:

http://www.wftv.com/video?videoId=823982693&videoVersion=1.0

Lol that NIMBY complaining about potential construction next to his apartment in the news segment is wild , imaging living downtown next to the central transit station and wanting it to be a park when Lake Eola is mere blocks away, some people are so selfish, I hope the city does the right thing and approves it, although I wish it had less parking and more transit orientated features.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Exactly. 

I was imagining myself walking by and butting in...

"What are you, nuts???? This is Orange Avenue, smack dab in the middle of the downtown businesses district and one of the most expensive and high profile pieces of commercial real estate in town, and you want them to turn it into a convenient place for your dogs to poop???? If you don't like construction and new buildings, move to the 'burbs!!!!"

Some people.... :huh: :rolleyes:

Given that one of Orlando's biggest strengths is how close really great neighborhoods transition next to the core (Eola Heights, even South Eola), a comment like that guy's is remarkably self-absorbed. There are so many great options east of Rosalind that the city fought to preserve. 

Let Orange Ave. go all in for whatever the highest and best use can possibly be.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Given that one of Orlando's biggest strengths is how close really great neighborhoods transition next to the core (Eola Heights, even South Eola), a comment like that guy's is remarkably self-absorbed. There are so many great options east of Rosalind that the city fought to preserve. 

Let Orange Ave. go all in for whatever the highest and best use can possibly be.

I think that guy (douchebag) is a shill and the landlord put him up to it.  In the alternative, he's a douche just for the fact of what has been stated by all here.  I don't even know where to go from my douche comment...

I just wish Phase 1 would have been the tallest tower adjacent to Crescent.

And for the record, the "green space" went online for the first time EVER when Crescent opened; it was walled off for the past 20-25 years.  It isn't a "thing."  Rather, it's a temporary grassed in area prior to being developed.  Did they expect them to leave it as a dirt heap so that they didn't get the wrong idea about it's permanence?

In the words of Rutger Hauer mocking Buffy:  Puh-leeze!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I think that guy (douchebag) is a shill and the landlord put him up to it.  In the alternative, he's a douche just for the fact of what has been stated by all here.  I don't even know where to go from my douche comment...

I just wish Phase 1 would have been the tallest tower adjacent to Crescent.

And for the record, the "green space" went online for the first time EVER when Crescent opened; it was walled off for the past 20-25 years.  It isn't a "thing."  Rather, it's a temporary grassed in area prior to being developed.  Did they expect them to leave it as a dirt heap so that they didn't get the wrong idea about it's permanence?

In the words of Rutger Hauer mocking Buffy:  Puh-leeze!

Either that or maybe Eye-missed-it News picked him just because he had negative comments to make. They never pass up an opportunity to feature downtrodden victims of something. The old saying in the local news industry is "If it bleeds, it leads". Ch 9 takes it a step further. With them it's also... "If its heart bleeds, it leads".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Either that or maybe Eye-missed-it News picked him just because he had negative comments to make. They never pass up an opportunity to feature downtrodden victims of something. The old saying in the local news industry is "If it bleeds, it leads". Ch 9 takes it a step further. With them it's also... "If its heart bleeds, it leads".

The purpose of journalism was always to "afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted."

Of course, FOX News turned that on its head and seeks to "comfort the comfortable and afflict the afflicted."

• Thanks 1