Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

51 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The purpose of journalism was always to "afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted."

Of course, FOX News turned that on its head and seeks to "comfort the comfortable and afflict the afflicted."

I'm all for defending the underdog and I certainly agree about Faux News. But as for the purpose of journalism, I always assumed it was to report the unbiased facts.

IMO, channel 9 seems to always be trying to create drama and portray victims. Just like the NIMBY in the X Orlando segment. Poor lil' fella has to move away from his happy home because of a big, mean building going up nextdoor to his. <_<

Or maybe like us, they just don't like the design.... :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

I'm all for defending the underdog and I certainly agree about Faux News. But as for the purpose of journalism, I always assumed it was to report the unbiased facts.

IMO, channel 9 seems to always be trying to create drama and portray victims. Just like the NIMBY in the X Orlando segment. Poor lil' fella has to move away from his happy home because of a big, mean building going up nextdoor to his. <_<

Or maybe like us, they just don't like the design.... :D

Local TV News long ago sold its soul for ratings. I long ago gave up on it. I must say, however, that WUCF has been doing some really cool shows focusing on local topics since they took over Channel 24 from WMFE.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Local TV News long ago sold its soul for ratings. I long ago gave up on it. I must say, however, that WUCF has been doing some really cool shows focusing on local topics since they took over Channel 24 from WMFE.

Definitely. :thumbsup:

Metro Center Outlook, Florida Crossroads and Central Florida Road Trip, to name a few.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

If my memory serves me, there were plans that never panned out for this block that included a public plaza. Crescent effectively  killed any chance of that when they built that mid rise blockbuster.  If Crescent wants some greenery I suggest they tear down half of their own building and create it.

I'm gonna start using that term, "block-buster."  I like that.  Because it actually is a city block buster like many other projects in downtown are...

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The purpose of journalism was always to "afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted."

Of course, FOX News turned that on its head and seeks to "comfort the comfortable and afflict the afflicted."

where did you get that mantra from?  that's genius.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I'm gonna start using that term, "block-buster."  I like that.  Because it actually is a city block buster like many other projects in downtown are...

where did you get that mantra from?  that's genius.

He lifted the mantra from the Reformers. I'm guessing he's a lapsed Presbyterian.

On the FOX thing, liberals hate it because it doesn't savage Trump non-stop, single sustained note via circular breathing, demonstration below ...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=saxophone+cycle+breathing&view=detail&mid=80C8E911BF4CD173F7C180C8E911BF4CD173F7C1&FORM=VIRE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dale said:

He lifted the mantra from the Reformers. I'm guessing he's a lapsed Presbyterian.

On the FOX thing, liberals hate it because it doesn't savage Trump non-stop, single sustained note via circular breathing, demonstration below ...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=saxophone+cycle+breathing&view=detail&mid=80C8E911BF4CD173F7C180C8E911BF4CD173F7C1&FORM=VIRE

Actually it's a quote from Finley Peter Dunne, a political humorist in the US in the late 1800s- early 1900s.

It's pretty much quoted in any journalism class I ever took. I am most definitely NOT a Presbyterian (First Pres of Orlando is part of the FOX News crowd.) Instead, I'm a proud progressive at FUMCO.

https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Finley_Peter_Dunne

• Like 3

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Actually it's a quote from Finley Peter Dunne, a political humorist in the US in the late 1800s- early 1900s.

It's pretty much quoted in any journalism class I ever took. I am most definitely NOT a Presbyterian (First Pres of Orlando is part of the FOX News crowd.) Instead, I'm a proud progressive at FUMCO.

Actually, a buddy of mine works for the Presb church at 50 and Lake Highland.  He defected from the main church b/c they were too strict on who could become a priest or reverend or minister, I.e., not gay friendly.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2018 at 8:00 PM, spenser1058 said:

GO TEAM FUMCO! 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 7:56 AM, jrs2 said:

The Brady Bunch Building as I like to call it.

JRS, just for you: a look at the Roadside Modern architecture of the former Davis Park Motel

http://artbornemagazine.com/homage-to-roadside-modern/

From Artborne

Also, more on Faith Arts Village:

http://faithartsvillage.com/contact

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

It’s been about a decade - I wish they’d figure out a way to make their frontage on 50 a little more...artsy 

8DF19AC0-69BD-4407-87FD-EF4A60DE09AA.png

My guess is it's being run on a wing and a prayer with very little cushion for capital improvements. I sure wish they'd undo that horrible '80's style facade (it's the architectural equivalent of big hair and shoulder pads.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

JRS, just for you: a look at the Roadside Modern architecture of the former Davis Park Motel

http://artbornemagazine.com/homage-to-roadside-modern/

From Artborne

Also, more on Faith Arts Village:

http://faithartsvillage.com/contact

that original design was pretty cool.  you can still see some of that in Daytona off of US-1 and A1A...

59 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

It’s been about a decade - I wish they’d figure out a way to make their frontage on 50 a little more...artsy 

8DF19AC0-69BD-4407-87FD-EF4A60DE09AA.png

It is my understanding that while they have the tenants inside FAVO (reminds me of Hannibal Lecter's "fava beans" remark...) the Church hasn't decided on how to handle the hotel fronting 50; costs for refurbishing the interiors being one major issue, etc.  

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 1:10 AM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Phase 1 is 17 stories with 262 Units.  251 ft.

Phase 2 is 25 stories with 266 Units.  331 ft.

Phase 3 is 24 stories with 361 Units.  310ft.

All on top of 9 level garage.

Central Station Crescent is 6 stories 276 Units for comparison.

As with many projects in Orlando. I Dont have any trust all 3 phases happen. Would be nice though.

In the renderings phase 1 looks dwarfed but at 251ft it’s actually a bit taller than skyhouse which is at 249. Hopefully we can at least get the first 2 phases off the ground. With the lack of apartments in Orlando (based on vacancy rates) and UCF coming and growing the campus this project should work. They promote co-living which is more suitable for college students anyway. I like that we’re diversifying the options you have downtown. Creative Village is probably going to be a college town there’s also south eola which is becoming more and more urban and you also have CBD. I guess we just have to wait and see how the market plays out but with the shortage in new homes being built apartments should thrive.

Also here’s the ARB report from 8/30

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/08/ARB2018-10011reportR.pdf

• Like 3

I think IAmFloridaBorn is wise to note that it's probably best not to hold our breaths regarding Phases 2 & 3. Developers of several downtown towers suggested that there would be additional phases - it's almost as if they can't help themselves.

As it happens, almost none of them were built. Landmark did and the clone is certainly nothing I am excited about having. For that matter, would four of The Refrigerator (now Fairwinds) really have improved downtown? 

Perhaps it's ok to have just one of each.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:28 PM, spenser1058 said:

I think IAmFloridaBorn is wise to note that it's probably best not to hold our breaths regarding Phases 2 & 3. Developers of several downtown towers suggested that there would be additional phases - it's almost as if they can't help themselves.

As it happens, almost none of them were built. Landmark did and the clone is certainly nothing I am excited about having. For that matter, would four of The Refrigerator (now Fairwinds) really have improved downtown? 

Perhaps it's ok to have just one of each.

"The Refrigerator!"  I love it.  We've got the Copper Whopper and The Refrigerator downtown.  IMO, I think The Refrigerator could've been more iconic had it been a minimum of 24 stories tall and floor plates at least 50% larger, maybe even rectangular instead of square floor plates.  

Yeah, true about not holding our breaths for future phases... Olympia Tower comes to mind... DuPont, of course... 101 Eola Drive...

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

"The Refrigerator!"  I love it.  We've got the Copper Whopper and The Refrigerator downtown.  IMO, I think The Refrigerator could've been more iconic had it been a minimum of 24 stories tall and floor plates at least 50% larger, maybe even rectangular instead of square floor plates.  

Yeah, true about not holding our breaths for future phases... Olympia Tower comes to mind... DuPont, of course... 101 Eola Drive...

I'm thinking maybe it's about time they re-skinned that building.

Maybe take that silver cladding material off that's in between the horizontal strips of windows and replace it with glass.

Then go back and put in new matching glass in the windows.

Just make the entire building glass.

Or just change the color from silver to something else. Use a very tough wearing paint of some kind that will both adhere to that material and also withstand the sun and the elements for a long time. If something like that exists.

Maybe do something interesting on the roof.

• Like 2