Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

13 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

they've got no rendering of the actual tower.

But, there's another thing they don't have:  "no gross carpets."

Great real estate pitch.  I wonder who they're catering to...

Having come of age in the '60's, I watched the madness of covering often beautiful terrazzo and hardwood floors covered wall to wall with carpet, usually cheap and generally hideous as soon as the first spill hit.

The madness went so far as carpeted walls at Mark Inns and shag so long you had to rake it to have any prayer of capturing the creepy-crawlys that lived therein.

The height of the madness was carpeting hospitals, who were then shocked (shocked! I tell you) that outbreaks of supergerms exploded in their facilities.

Anytime you do something solely for fashion or to keep up with the Joneses (see also, Hummers), expect the worst.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Having come of age in the '60's, I watched the madness of covering often beautiful terrazzo and hardwood floors covered wall to wall with carpet, usually cheap and generally hideous as soon as the first spill hit.

The madness went so far as carpeted walls at Mark Inns and shag so long you had to rake it to have any prayer of capturing the creepy-crawlys that lived therein.

The height of the madness was carpeting hospitals, who were then shocked (shocked! I tell you) that outbreaks of supergerms exploded in their facilities.

Anytime you do something solely for fashion or to keep up with the Joneses (see also, Hummers), expect the worst.

OMG.  carpeted hospitals?

23 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

There are still carpeted areas in hospitals, albeit in limited areas. Next up on the ban list: carpeted hotel rooms, carpeted restaurants and cloth seats in public areas! :sick:

I say remove all carpet from OIA (sans the Hyatt).

that being said, not to sound redundant, but Golden Sparrow has got to be the worst name for a project that I have ever heard in my life.  It is so irritating, I feel that the only way to not be irritated with it, is if I can no longer think coherently enough to realize that the name even exists.  Short of a lobotomy, how does one achieve this?  Get drunk, do acid, get high, or a combination of each.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I say remove all carpet from OIA (sans the Hyatt).

that being said, not to sound redundant, but Golden Sparrow has got to be the worst name for a project that I have ever heard in my life.  It is so irritating, I feel that the only way to not be irritated with it, is if I can no longer think coherently enough to realize that the name even exists.  Short of a lobotomy, how does one achieve this?  Get drunk, do acid, get high, or a combination of each.

Sounds like the name of a Tom Clancy novel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I agree. the name itself isn't that bad but it doesn't fit for a project like this. when I think of "Golden Sparrow" I think of a tall, massive building that gradually forms a triangular shape pointing to the sky  like the Empire State or the Burj Khalifa, not 3 Playstations on top of a VCR covered in moss 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JFW657 said:

This building more closely resembles something a Sparrow would leave behind.

yep.  You know, I was just looking at the 409 Magnolia thread and that aerial shot looking west SW with the rendering in the photo.  It looked so awesome b/c of the density it will give to that intersection.  It's like when you compare DT Orlando to other DT's like Nashville, for example, where there seems to be way more "bulk" in their skyline with buildings at least 5 stories or taller or even 10 stories or taller.  At worst, Golden Sparrow will add to that density.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I have been waiting for this, since they canceled the last one. I think it looks better, but still don't like the pedestal and phases. I have a feeling the final build-out won't be done the same as in renderings, and the end result could have an awkward blocky pedestal that doesn't match well with the surroundings or the final vertical towers. 

I hope I am wrong and it turns out better than planned. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gibby said:

I still can't believe that the Developer wanted to hide the parking garage with units along Orange Avenue and the City had them remove most of the units and now we'll have an exposed parking garage to look at.

55W is like that, right, for like floors 4 through 12 facing Church St?

3 hours ago, gibby said:

I still can't believe that the Developer wanted to hide the parking garage with units along Orange Avenue and the City had them remove most of the units and now we'll have an exposed parking garage to look at.

Thats the problem with having an ARB. Developers can't propose something nice.

The rationale was that the pedestal was way too "Blocky" (true) and needed some setback for variation along the streetwall. Would have been much better served having the developer re-design the whole thing with a smaller pedestal, taller towers in two phases only, and green space incorporated into the design to connect Lynx Central with the Courthouse. 

Our ARB is pretty obsequious and accommodating, however, and lacking in real ability to force better real design, so we got a freaking compromise, as usual. 

I do like the Dichronic Glass, though, and learned what that was from this. I hope they go that route with some trees on the top level and the amenity deck, and not the ugly cascading green walls. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1