Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

14 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Don't doubt The VMC

Never! It’s the most stable, well-thought out project ever conceived by humankind.

Once it's built, Mayor De Blasio will genuflect when Orlando eclipses Manhattan as the true first city of these United States.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, aent said:

Yeah, there's typically 3-4 phases to the land deals (simplified): 

0) LOI - no deposit where you are negotiating and starting to look at things, either party can walk away as they please so not much money is spent on too much research

1) Refundable Deposit - price is agreed to, land is secured for buyer but buyer can walk away without losing anything, buyer can do research such as borings/soil testing and get plans drawn up (typically conceptally) to make sure the county approves the concept, typically like 30-90 days

2) Non-refundable deposit - buyers deposit now belongs to the seller, much more detailed work is done such as pulling permits, getting more final approval for more details, gets their financing in order, etc, often another 30 days to a year depending on what the deal is

3) Closing - seller gets fully paid for the land and buyer now owns it

VMC is likely at stage 0 or 1, this was at stage 2, and just went to stage 3

Essentially after stage 3, they can move forward with project pending approval of city board?

18 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Aent, but they said they were going to try to do a lease deal. I am not too familiar on how that would work. 

Land leases are not that unusual in commercial real estate (often out parcels), but for a project of this size that would be unique. Tons of condo buildings in NYC are this arrangement. It makes them cheaper to get into, but generally harder to sell as the lease period rolls on (usually 40-99 years).

In the case of VMC, this is another indication they have no cash or financing.

9 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Essentially after stage 3, they can move forward with project pending approval of city board?

I assume yes, as you said pending all approvals from the City.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Land leases are not that unusual in commercial real estate (often out parcels), but for a project of this size that would be unique. Tons of condo buildings in NYC are this arrangement. It makes them cheaper to get into, but generally harder to sell as the lease period rolls on (usually 40-99 years).

In the case of VMC, this is another indication they have no cash or financing.

Agreed. 

20 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

One of the main skeptical points on VMC is they don't have the financing TO buy the land. I agree with your assessment of the cycle, Aent, but they said they were going to try to do a lease deal. I am not too familiar on how that would work. 

wow.  they don't have the funding, huh...I'm shocked that a bank wouldn't jump at the opportunity to finance THIS of all types of projects...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Yeah, my experience with land leases is they're usually done when the land value far exceeds the value of the building that will likely be constructed on said land, which is often the case for, say, a fast food restaurant. Never on the largest building in a city lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aent said:

Yeah, my experience with land leases is they're usually done when the land value far exceeds the value of the building that will likely be constructed on said land, which is often the case for, say, a fast food restaurant. Never on the largest building in a city lol

NYC may be the exception to the rule (e.g. Chrysler building).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

NYC may be the exception to the rule (e.g. Chrysler building).

Haha, maybe, but the land there is sooooo insanely valuable that I don't even know how common that part is lol... my experience is mostly not in downtowns as well to be fair.

14 hours ago, aent said:

Haha, maybe, but the land there is sooooo insanely valuable that I don't even know how common that part is lol... my experience is mostly not in downtowns as well to be fair.

Hey, we have some insanely valuable land too! When FUMCO fleeced the city on the sale of the DPAC lot, I remember it being mentioned in the Sentinel that we paid more for that lot than comparable property in Manhattan.

My memory is a little fuzzy on this, but isn't the land in CV still technically owned by the city? I think I recall some kind of creative brainstorming to make the whole thing come to fruition due to the $90M loan...

• 4 weeks later...