Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

At least they have the funding.

"In addition to the two Chicago locations, PMG opened X Miami in 2018. To date, PMG and Raven have secured capital for $1 billion in X projects, planning more than 10,000 units for the XSC portfolio over the next five years in cities including Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Oakland, Orlando and Phoenix. "

https://www.rejournals.com/pmg-secures-30-7-million-refi-for-co-living-project,-x-chicago-social-20190313

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

But here in Orlando we will build no building before its time (hopefully before climate change sinks us all).

Here in Charlotte we’re scrambling to get everything built, before 2031, when humankind, all 58 genders, are slated for extinction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Permits indicate project is renamed to SOCIETY ORLANDO.  

Permits include for the installation of trailers, fence, piles for Tower 2 (18 story tower that will be submitted at a later date), foundation for Tower 1 (22 story), and offsite sanitary improvements 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

How many different name incarnations has this thing gone through now?

At this rate, before it's finished, it might eclipse both Puff Daddy (aka P. Diddy – Diddy – Sean “Diddy” Combs) and Snoop Doggy Dogg (aka Snoop Dogg – Snoop Lion – Snoop Zilla) put together in the name change dept. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, gibby said:

Wow, we'll have Orange/Robinson, Radius, 520 Church and this thing all under construction at the same time.  That's probably 1,000 to 1,500 units.

Does downtown Orlando still have the highest downtown resedential population in Florida? 

Went to Tampa the other day and their downtown is booming. 

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Permits include for the installation of trailers, fence, piles for Tower 2 (18 story tower that will be submitted at a later date), foundation for Tower 1 (22 story), and offsite sanitary improvements 

This similar to the X Las Olas project which is now being reported as Society Las Olas. Wonder if other existing properties will be renamed.

44 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Does downtown Orlando still have the highest downtown resedential population in Florida? 

Went to Tampa the other day and their downtown is booming. 

I think downtown Orlando and Tampa each have about 15,000 and downtown Miami has about 90,000.  It's hard to find a very good source for the info though.

6 minutes ago, gibby said:

I think downtown Orlando and Tampa each have about 15,000 and downtown Miami has about 90,000.  It's hard to find a very good source for the info though.

My info was misguided.

The last thing I saw said :

Miami 80,000

Orlando 40,000

Tampa 8,000

Jacksonville 3,000

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn

6 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

pretty sure the number for downtown orlando is 20-25K. But nobody has provided actual data so we won't ever know. 

Now I know where I got my 25K number from, the house hold number, which is more important in my view. 

http://www.downtownorlando.com/newsroom/facts-statistics/#.XidOgFNKhE8

Curious to know their boundaries.  That seems high for the CRA

14 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Curious to know their boundaries.  That seems high for the CRA

http://www.downtownorlando.com/business/maps/#.XieqI8jYovc

Using their maps and their list of multi-family developments, I'm coming up with 12,500 units.  That excludes all housing under 20 units.  They're showing a downtown area of about 1,700 acres.  Miami shows a downtown area of about 2,400 acres.

29 minutes ago, Jvest55 said:

The reason why household is more important is because that's who is writing the check for rent or on the hook for the mortgage. Anything else is pretty meaningless as far as important economic stats. *edited*

I think this goes back to our discussion on ownership a few months ago. I guess I don't agree. I tend to think 2 single people are going to be spending more money at bars/restaurants/etc than a couple. They're going out more often because they don't have a significant other to stay in with. They are more likely to have separate groups of friends, so there will be more random weekday events. Then on weekends they'll both be out.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

My info was misguided.

The last thing I saw said :

Miami 80,000

Orlando 40,000

Tampa 8,000

Jacksonville 3,000

Depends on your boundaries, Tampa's CBD has basically no residents but adjacent  neighborhoods  which could possibly be considered downtown like Chanelside, Hyde Park, Harbor island, ect, are dense populated and have relatively high populations. I used SocialExplorer.com, which gives pop. density and total pop. for each census tract to compare downtowns. Orlando's CBD actually has residents interspersed with office buildings, but no adjacent neighborhood as dense as Channelside or Harbor Island, but Orlando's downtown flows naturally to the connecting neighborhoods like Thorton Park unlike Tampa which has water and freeways separating the central business district from surround neighborhoods. Although with Tampa's free streetcar Ybor could be thrown in with Downtown which really tips the scale in Tampa's favor, and however Water Street turns out. Check out the website for yourself tho if interested, it uses Census data with the 2018 the most recent data.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dale said:

If Orlando isn’t close to 40k, is Miami’s 80k also an exaggeration ?

That 80K estimate probably includes the highly populated Brickell which is a quick and free Metromover trip away from the CBD, 40k is definitely an exaggeration for Orlando unless you include neighborhoods like College Park, Ivanhoe, SODO in addition to directly adjacent neighborhoods like Thorton & Paramore. The phrase Downtown is nebulous as this classic Seinfeld scene makes clear. Comparing specific neighborhoods is more precise imo but not as fun

• Haha 1

The Jaxson took a great look at this a while back:

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/floridas-major-downtowns-how-does-jax-compare/

What sets Orlando apart is that its downtown was never completely cut off by highways and other forms of urban renewal so it’s easily accessible from nearby neighborhoods. In fact, that’s one of our most attractive features for urban analysts who study the area.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2