Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

• sunshine changed the title to Golden Sparrow | Three-tower Residential [Under Construction]

Correct. It is an Auger for cast piles.  Not a crane boom. The superstructure is there around the auger for them to move it around the site and drill holes in the ground and then fill them with concrete. It is a long process that is needed to shore up the land for structural support of such a large structure that will be built  above it. Here is a video of the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziRqVbCEIZw

Edited by dcluley98

11 minutes ago, Tim3167 said:

Earlier on this thread it was posted that after revisions tower 1 would be 251’ and tower 2 would be 368’. Not sure if it looks that in these renderings.

I think it's got to do with the perspective they're showing the front (Orange Av looking SW) from combined with the set back position of tower 2.

Because it's beingbshown from a low angle looking up while at the same time being set back from tower one, makes it appear shorter.

If you look at the views from the back side looking east and from a higher angle, tower 2 looks a bit taller.

Well, at least ours is a bit grander than the one being built in Phoenix. Just a little something to be grateful for, because I'm so used to us getting the short end of the stick. I'd rather have a "Golden Sparrow/Society Orlando" monstrosity than another wasted opportunity like Central Station on Orange (g-d I hate that building so much).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

Well, at least ours is a bit grander than the one being built in Phoenix. Just a little something to be grateful for, because I'm so used to us getting the short end of the stick. I'd rather have a "Golden Sparrow/Society Orlando" monstrosity than another wasted opportunity like Central Station on Orange (g-d I hate that building so much).

I don't know if you hate that building more than I do but I have to reserve my comments about the building because they are not forum appropriate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

The worst building approved under Buddy, by miles. Only going to get worse with age.

Just now, Jernigan said:

You may have outdone yourself with that gem!

lol - I try. In truth, though, I tried to think back to a time he really ever articulated a passionate personal feel about things and I really didn’t come up with anything other than the usual political verbiage.

That’s not necessarily a fatal disease. Poppy Bush’s foreign policy, for example, at the end of the Cold War has been lauded. He pictured himself as ready to meet whatever appeared in his inbox successfully rather than presenting some overarching vision. It was a major difference between him and Reagan.

Both styles are necessary but when one is the only option for 20 or more years you lose balance.

Central Station was an early cycle project off of the heels of the greatest recession we have every seen. The City does not have the mechanisms in place to block it since it met all of the zoning requirements. It is what it is. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I think that we may safely say after 17 years that Buddy, unlike some previous mayors, has no vision. Nor do his appointees on the various boards. Just send cash to his unending mayor for life reelection campaign and all is well.

Poor Buddy.

Destined to live forever in the shadow of those two "visionaries" Glenda Hood and Lou Pearlman. 

:tw_lol:

1 minute ago, jack said:

Central Station was an early cycle project off of the heels of the greatest recession we have every seen. The City does not have the mechanisms in place to block it since it met all of the zoning requirements. It is what it is. 

And there you hit the nail on the head. Initially, we were told the same thing about saving the close-in neighborhoods. Mayor Bill proved that the city had the ability to determine what our downtown would look like.

Buddy’s never done that. He is perfectly content to let any developer do what (s)he he wants. The only time he really veered from that was with the Eola 5. Buddy knew that his re-election could be affected by the activists on that (given the way he has set up elections, there will rarely be a 15% turnout; if he keeps a small active group happy, he’s a lock for four more years). Other than that, if he doesn’t alienate the cops and firefighters and overawes any opposition with dollars from developers, he’s good. Nothing will ever change, and the  local construction industry is content. We have the downtown you’d expect from that arrangement. It has been different in the past, though.

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Poor Buddy.

Destined to live forever in the shadow of those two "visionaries" Glenda Hood and Lou Pearlman. 

:tw_lol:

Not Glenda - Mayor Bill.

• Like 1

@popsiclebrandon and @IAmFloridaBorn what is it that makes this project so loath some. What, specifically, do you not like.

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

Mayor Bill proved that the city had the ability to determine what our downtown would look like.

Sure, let's list all the great projects "Mayor Bill" steered... I can think of 2.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AmIReal said:

@popsiclebrandon and @IAmFloridaBorn what is it that makes this project so loath some. What, specifically, do you not like.

Sure, let's list all the great projects "Mayor Bill" steered... I can think of 2.

It was an overall approach to what downtown could be. Things as little as the swans at Eola. Things like what the arena would look like (the old arena was good looking as a building; the new one looks like a Walmart). The drive to save the close-in neighborhoods, which is one of the unique features of our downtown. The attempt to build density by limiting development in areas adjoining the core. And yes, using the bully pulpit to get the plaza in front of Jaymont II and to vary the corner of Central and Orange by turning the Atlantic Bank building at an angle.

Some of those things needed additional work in subsequent administrations. It didn’t happen in Glenda’s because she got bogged down in trying to save light rail and working on Baldwin Park.

In Buddy’s case, he just abdicated any vision to the highest bidder. Look, if you think this is the best downtown can be, bless your heart. It wasn’t the only option, however.