Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

On 3/9/2020 at 2:33 AM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I don't know if you hate that building more than I do but I have to reserve my comments about the building because they are not forum appropriate.

my friend, so far on this forum, I have yet to see anything not deemed as forum appropriate.  LOL.  I say spit it out!

Baker Bros seems confident on Facebook, though, I don't understand how it could happen right now.

"Construction has started on Society Orlando, the new mixed-use residential project that will include lounges, communal kitchens, a fitness studio and co-working space. This will be the largest single residential project in Downtown Orlando at 825,000 SF!"

90343994_2780102988692357_8564312062652579840_o.jpg

90042940_2780103152025674_7596287753382264832_o.jpg

On 3/12/2020 at 8:00 PM, AmIReal said:

btw, the article says the developer has made several concessions to the appearance board including "adding ground-level retail facing the SunRail station to activate the space and wrapping the parking garage with living units to avoid a “back of the building” appearance."

I never saw this post, but I find that statement funny. Camden 520 was supposed to wrap their ugly ass garage with living units but decided not to, and nobody knew or stopped them. I'd love to see if they commit to it this time. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, codypet said:

Oh interesting.   So the foundation they're building for Phase2 is the foundation for Tower 3?

At this point, anything is possible.

I had heard (or thought I had heard) back at the beginning that they were going to do two towers in the first phase and the remaining tower in the second phase.

Of course, I could be wrong or they changed their minds or....  the Green Bay Packers.

I'm as confused as anyone. :huh: 

35 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

According to Biz Journal, this project is being scaled back. Originally slated for 889 apartment units, now this project will offer 719 due to decreased demand. Who knows if that will continue to drop as COVID-19 wreaks havoc on the economy.

I hope they pull a 55W and just leave the upper floors unfinished and available to be finished out when the demand increases.

45 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

According to Biz Journal, this project is being scaled back. Originally slated for 889 apartment units, now this project will offer 719 due to decreased demand. Who knows if that will continue to drop as COVID-19 wreaks havoc on the economy.

It's getting Orlando'd...

societyorlo.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I like this quote from Biz Journal

"If you build apartments in the general downtown vicinity, I don't know why they wouldn't do well," Shear said.

A little something called an economic depression perhaps. Good luck with the building Mr. Shear

"A groundbreaking already occurred at the site, but Shear said Property Markets Group will start looking for financing in the next month to fund vertical construction. The developer looks to build the first two towers by summer 2022."

I have already heard of lenders cutting off new construction loans, so, if money is not funded then I don't know what these amateurs are doing. 

Edited by Jvest55
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

All they are doing is underground piles at this point. Could end up with a significantly shored up empty lot for the next 5 years. Haha. 

If that happens, it will be the second time on the same parcel since the mid 80's.

The 18 story hotel William DuPont had planned to compliment BOA across Livingston, was underway and had several piles driven on that very spot when the bottom fell out of the deal

And we all know how long it sat vacant after that.

• Like 1

The jinx along that stretch of Orange goes way back. Somewhere along there was where Jordan Marsh planned to build their first Orlando department store to open about1962.

Everything was moving along and then the owner of the lot (said to be Orange Buick) jacked up the cost  just before it was finalized.

Allied Stores (owner of JM) was ticked and went to Colonial Plaza instead (just a strip center at the time), setting in motion the demise of downtown retail.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1