Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

On 3/23/2020 at 4:00 PM, Jvest55 said:

If the project fails  - I vote for some kind of hybrid mall concept to compete with Millenia, have a place for people to go to when it's hot as heck outside, spend some money and boost local economy. Make it a retail/shopping destination.  :)

Please see: The Exchange

• 4 weeks later...
Not Vertically yet. 

All I have seen is drilling piles, but I hope they can finish that and go vertical  soon. 

Thanks, I am not in Orlando now and I was surprised there's little activity in this thread since is the only project currently going on in the city, I thought with this virus thing maybe they stopped it.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Flotex said:

Thanks, I am not in Orlando now and I was surprised there's little activity in this thread since is the only project currently going on in the city, I thought with this virus thing maybe they stopped it.

??
There’s a ton of construction going on in the city and central Florida. 

39 minutes ago, Flotex said:

I meant high rise

Well, the apartment building at Orange Ave and Robinson or 336 N. Orange, at 10 stories, is technically a high rise and it's well underway.

F764A8B0-F420-4567-B6AF-3892E39EC2DF.png

And of course, there's the halfway finished Radius tower going up at Rosalind and Livingston...

1359026053_ScreenShot2018-05-15at1_21_02

Certainly qualifies as a high rise even though it's only a  13 story building.

And that's not even counting whatever is still under construction at Creative Village.

• Like 2

Construtction of what is already started is definitely still occuring. 

New projects are a bit delayed, but  any hospitality/entertainment projects I have seen are on hold and many horizontal/road projects have been accelerated. 

They are not shutting down current work and if they are bidding upcoming work with great finance and real projects/plans, I would expect they would get great numbers currently from subcontractors. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

... They are not shutting down current work and if they are bidding upcoming work with great finance and real projects/plans, I would expect they would get great numbers currently from subcontractors. 

It also seems like a great time to take out a low interest loan, if you can get one.

Drove by the Society Orlando site this morning and they are still actively drilling piles. In fact, they were moving the drill rig as I was at the stoplight, and it appears they are installing piles on the north end of the site where Phase 3 would eventually be occurring as well. This is a good sign as it shows that they are still planning for all 3 phases at this time. 

• Like 3

On 4/18/2020 at 8:52 PM, Flotex said:

I meant high rise

I think it's b/c it hasn't gone vertical yet. And/or b/c Orlando projects have a track record of always downsizing, which is a real "boner killer" as they say.

Orlando as a market is allergic to high rises.  It's an allergy that many of us including myself try to control with a couple of Claritin mixed in with new proposals we hope are as tall or taller than what was built during the last boom, like Vue, 55W, Solaire, Hyatt Orlando, etc.

At this point, based on how awesome the Radius parcel is filling out with that project and the neighboring Hampton Inn across the street that's around 10 stories itself, a one-two punch you typically do not see in downtown, I'm thinking if they can continue to infill in that manner, we'll (Orlando) be ok.  There's been so many parking lots and empty lots scarring the urban landscape over the years that converting those abandoned lots to even a 12 story project is a huge win for downtown.  Skyhouse, across the street from Radius, is a great example.  Steelhouse, albeit only 4 stories is another great example.  Solaire and 55W are not good examples, but Vue and Aspire are good examples.  NORA is not a good example b/c it was built on a nice green grass parcel.  The Sevens is probably a good example b/c it's parcel at Park Lake was eh.  By no means am I diminishing the importance of the improvements to utilities ala street lights and sidewalks fronting those projects; I'm merely talking about the parcels themselves.

Society Orlando is a good project, but that Pizzuti block has been "cursed" for so long that I feel like I would be jinxing it just by expecting things to go right there.  besides, although an empty lot, the parcel was a green grass parcel next to the new Crescent building with thriving retail on one side, with Sunrail around the back.  It wasn't that unsightly compared to where Radius is going, where the Hampton Inn is going, and where the Orange & Magnolia project is going. 

If there was an "improvement quotient" that ranks which projects improved their respective parcels the most, those projects I mentioned and Church Street Plaza would rank higher than Society Orlando in my book.  Using the drive-by test, the Society Orlando parcel wasn't that bad.  Man, I mentioned Skyhouse earlier- if you recall what was there before...wow.  Skyhouse and Radius and Hampton Inn...what a transformation to that neighborhood...

Location per se is a different story altogether and Society Orlando would rank higher because it would be sandwiched between the OC Cthse, DuPont, and Crescent and make the development contiguous. For years the OC Cthse was on an island with only BOA nearby...  Right now, the OC Cthe is getting some incredible transformative density to it's east and west sides.  Society Orlando is just a piece to that puzzle- a big piece...but a piece nonetheless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I think it's b/c it hasn't gone vertical yet. And/or b/c Orlando projects have a track record of always downsizing, which is a real "boner killer" as they say.

Orlando as a market is allergic to high rises.  It's an allergy that many of us including myself try to control with a couple of Claritin mixed in with new proposals we hope are as tall or taller than what was built during the last boom, like Vue, 55W, Solaire, Hyatt Orlando, etc.

At this point, based on how awesome the Radius parcel is filling out with that project and the neighboring Hampton Inn across the street that's around 10 stories itself, a one-two punch you typically do not see in downtown, I'm thinking if they can continue to infill in that manner, we'll (Orlando) be ok.  There's been so many parking lots and empty lots scarring the urban landscape over the years that converting those abandoned lots to even a 12 story project is a huge win for downtown.  Skyhouse, across the street from Radius, is a great example.  Steelhouse, albeit only 4 stories is another great example.  Solaire and 55W are not good examples, but Vue and Aspire are good examples.  NORA is not a good example b/c it was built on a nice green grass parcel.  The Sevens is probably a good example b/c it's parcel at Park Lake was eh.  By no means am I diminishing the importance of the improvements to utilities ala street lights and sidewalks fronting those projects; I'm merely talking about the parcels themselves.

Society Orlando is a good project, but that Pizzuti block has been "cursed" for so long that I feel like I would be jinxing it just by expecting things to go right there.  besides, although an empty lot, the parcel was a green grass parcel next to the new Crescent building with thriving retail on one side, with Sunrail around the back.  It wasn't that unsightly compared to where Radius is going, where the Hampton Inn is going, and where the Orange & Magnolia project is going. 

If there was an "improvement quotient" that ranks which projects improved their respective parcels the most, those projects I mentioned and Church Street Plaza would rank higher than Society Orlando in my book.  Using the drive-by test, the Society Orlando parcel wasn't that bad.  Man, I mentioned Skyhouse earlier- if you recall what was there before...wow.  Skyhouse and Radius and Hampton Inn...what a transformation to that neighborhood...

Location per se is a different story altogether and Society Orlando would rank higher because it would be sandwiched between the OC Cthse, DuPont, and Crescent and make the development contiguous. For years the OC Cthse was on an island with only BOA nearby...  Right now, the OC Cthe is getting some incredible transformative density to it's east and west sides.  Society Orlando is just a piece to that puzzle- a big piece...but a piece nonetheless.

Did you notice in covering the whole downtown area (quite admirably btw!) there was not a peep about how to market and improve the historic core as an asset for our central city?

Has Buddy got a job for you!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Did you notice in covering the whole downtown area (quite admirably btw!) there was not a peep about how to market and improve the historic core as an asset for our central city?

Has Buddy got a job for you!

LOL.  I was just trying to focus on why not so much excitement for Society Orlando.  But, I think the best way to market the downtown core would be for successful businesses to be located within those buildings...and the art thing...Third Thursdays...and other events...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

LOL.  I was just trying to focus on why not so much excitement for Society Orlando.  But, I think the best way to market the downtown core would be for successful businesses to be located within those buildings...and the art thing...Third Thursdays...and other events...

Or maybe if they used a promotional gimmick, like installing a bunch of these things....

36ffaf15b3d1091d9d3ba5628df17223.jpg

...all over downtown.

Maybe accompanied by a catchy slogan like.... "We  Orlando to its (HISTORIC) CORE!!!!"

Or not. :dontknow: 

I still think we are a bit misguided with the cookie-cutter formula of mixed use apartment building with GF retail all over downtown. Honestly, much of the GF retail is either vacant or a revolving door in many areas. I would much rather see some corporate office infusion and I liked the hotel/office of CSP very much. EA Orlando Studio is another big office building that doesn't get talked about a lot but that is more of what we need. 

I think with this whole thing going on currently you are going to see a lot more of GF retail going away.  It was a bit troubled before, but it will be even more troubled now.  I have mentioned it before on these boards that I think it is a very misguided model, especially with over-saturation in South Eola (or is it west Thortnon Park now?  What's the hip-vibe nomenclature currently?)

We talk a lot about "vibrant street level design" but there is not vibrancy without people living and working there and going out to frequent these  storefronts. 

Perhaps Covid-19 can cause developers and designers to re-think the standard formula for the better. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I still think we are a bit misguided with the cookie-cutter formula of mixed use apartment building with GF retail all over downtown. Honestly, much of the GF retail is either vacant or a revolving door in many areas. I would much rather see some corporate office infusion and I liked the hotel/office of CSP very much. EA Orlando Studio is another big office building that doesn't get talked about a lot but that is more of what we need. 

I think with this whole thing going on currently you are going to see a lot more of GF retail going away.  It was a bit troubled before, but it will be even more troubled now.  I have mentioned it before on these boards that I think it is a very misguided model, especially with over-saturation in South Eola (or is it west Thortnon Park now?  What's the hip-vibe nomenclature currently?)

We talk a lot about "vibrant street level design" but there is not vibrancy without people living and working there and going out to frequent these  storefronts. 

Perhaps Covid-19 can cause developers and designers to re-think the standard formula for the better. 

We have long known shopping works best in a cluster but the well-intentioned mixed-use idea is as out of sync with life today as “acres of free parking”.

We need a cluster of retail downtown (the stores probably a good bit smaller - Macy’s, Nordstrom and, of course, Target have all had success by downsizing). 

Because our most successful downtown anchor so far is Publix and there’s plenty of retail space available, South Eola (I REFUSE to call it Thornton Park!) might be a good place to concentrate.

Otherwise, the Sentinel lot might be a good alternative if they reach a critical mass of retail.

Segregating uses is NOT the problem - it just needs the retail to be within easy walking, cycling or Lymmo distance.

Given the relatively young demographic in the downtown apartments, I can’t for the life of me understand why a bike shop won’t work. When Orange Cycle opened on Edgewater in 1969*, the Drive was losing ground to the malls fast and it seemed like a folly. Instead, they were one of the things that helped CP come back.

* In those days, I was a devotee of the Schwinn Cyclery on Mills, which was arranged more like a car dealership than a bike shop. My Apple Krate was groovy!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1