Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

17 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

As long as TowerI is built first, at 28 stories, by the time it's done, demand might go up again and they may upscale Tower II and make it taller.

And if they decide to not build tower 2 or postpone it indefinitely, as is known to happen in Orlando, at least we'll have one 28 story tower instead of one 17 story stump.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like the dimensions of this a lot.  The smaller mid-rise does a nice job of breaking up the monotony. 

This reminds me of a recently completed project in Boston - the HUB at Causeway:

C0-D8-C3-E1-2534-4-D13-B18-F-45-BAD8-BC6

It shares some similarities:

- Transit oriented (North Station at TD Garden)

- Mixed-used - residential, office, hotel, retail

- Somewhat similar design features (although Orlando could learn a thing or two from this example)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jack said:

UBS sued and they settled when PMG agreed to shorten that tower. 

Who did they sue? the city?  on what grounds?

There are no protected view rights in Orlando, it would have to be a suit regarding zoning approval, in which case they could only sue the city correct?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jack said:

UBS sued and they settled when PMG agreed to shorten that tower. 

WTF?  I remember when they first wrote about that.  Their theory was something about how the Society project would somehow interfere with their project's viability b/c it was too big or something like that; some bogus theory...

Sun being blocked from hitting their pool deck perhaps?  If that's the case then 55W should sue itself.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChiDev said:

Who did they sue? the city?  on what grounds?

There are no protected view rights in Orlando, it would have to be a suit regarding zoning approval, in which case they could only sue the city correct?

I don't know the details but read it in Growthspotter a while back. 

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-x-orlando-developer-eliminates-green-wall-reduces-height-to-appease-neighbor-20190117-story.html

UBS Realty Investors, which owns Central Station, dropped its appeal of the city approvals as part of the stipulated, three-way settlement with PMG and the city.

9 hours ago, jrs2 said:

WTF?  I remember when they first wrote about that.  Their theory was something about how the Society project would somehow interfere with their project's viability b/c it was too big or something like that; some bogus theory...

Sun being blocked from hitting their pool deck perhaps?  If that's the case then 55W should sue itself.

Not sure but the pool deck for central station is in the courtyard. It does not get sun anyways. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 10:25 AM, codypet said:

I'm still annoyed how they blocked off that sidewalk.  You can't cross the street at the trail unless you go a half block back to Garland.

To add to the convolutedness of the sidewalk debacle, now the sidewalk on the NE quadrant of Garland and Livingston is blocked as part of I-4 Ultimate so now pedestrian MOT has the two construction sites detouring at each other, at arguably one of the busiest pedestrian intersections in the city.

1 hour ago, ucfpatriot18 said:

Workers, rebar, and other construction materials onsite today.  I thought this wasn’t supposed to start again until March?

Yup. I sat at the sun rail station  and saw the activity. Couldn’t get the best picture but there was much happening. Glad I wasn’t the only one