Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

Looks like they got that second tower crane others were saying they expect for a project this size. Happy it's actually happening. Hopefully 389 North/Zoi across the street will be next. 

46 minutes ago, opivys85 said:

Good to see some significant movement on this. I hope the final product looks better than I think it will.

Agreed. I liked the original black/white color scheme more compared to the newer renderings with only a solid gray color, but maybe that was only for the rendering's sake. 

Does anyone know how much longer phase II will take to be completed after phase I is completed? 

20 minutes ago, ajc said:

Looks like they got that second tower crane others were saying they expect for a project this size. Happy it's actually happening. Hopefully 389 North/Zoi across the street will be next. 

Agreed. I liked the original black/white color scheme more compared to the newer renderings with only a solid gray color, but maybe that was only for the rendering's sake. 

Does anyone know how much longer phase II will take to be completed after phase I is completed? 

I believe Zoi is dead. It’s no longer listed in their website sadly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

LOL.  I hope so. I still want them to designate it as a "specimen tree" if the current proposed development is dead. That way, any future development plans would have to take it into account for MPB and ARB approval process.  

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see that not be a vacant lot, but I would hope future developer can incorporate the tree into their plans. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

LOL.  I hope so. I still want them to designate it as a "specimen tree" if the current proposed development is dead. That way, any future development plans would have to take it into account for MPB and ARB approval process.  

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see that not be a vacant lot, but I would hope future developer can incorporate the tree into their plans. 

If the right developer came along who could purchase the parcel to the east where the Quizno's used to be, it seems they'd have enough land to put the parking deck there and build the tower around the tree.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

If the right developer came along who could purchase the parcel to the east where the Quizno's used to be, it seems they'd have enough land to put the parking deck there and build the tower around the tree.  

If they wanted to spend the money, they could build the tower ala Citicorp Center in NYC, on three giant stilts, to preserve the tree (or church, in the NYC scenario).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

If they wanted to spend the money, they could build the tower ala Citicorp Center in NYC, on three giant stilts, to preserve the tree (or church, in the NYC scenario).

In NYC there are towers that were built above highways...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7b/6f/23/7b6f2316bde6a31907d846c8dc444b18.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zvpGQfDv/nycviaduct.jpg

So, what you suggest is certainly doable with today's building technology, but probably not necessary in this case. 

It looks like there is plenty of footprint room on the north half of the existing parcel to build a decent sized tower without taking out the tree and even have room for a plaza. 

The only real reason to use the entire parcel would be to build a parking pedestal underneath the tower. 

Edited by JFW657
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ChiDev said:

Lol all of you are delusional if you think a developer will keep that tree and buy that expensive parcel.  If anything winds up happening on that lot, that tree is gonna be moved.

Otherwise it will sit vacant while the land owner cries (or secretly poisons said tree).

Actually, my guess is that when/if the parcel ever gets developed the tree will likely be the last thing the profiteers worry about.

It  will get cut down and the roots bulldozed.

Shame, but that's the way it usually goes.

I think we were (or at least I was) just ruminating on the possibilities. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

Actually, my guess is that when/if the parcel ever gets developed the tree will likely be the last thing the profiteers worry about.

It  will get cut down and the roots bulldozed.

Shame, but that's the way it usually goes.

I think we were (or at least I was) just ruminating on the possibilities. 

My two cents: the tree probably wouldn't be easy to incorporate, anyways. So, what should be done for a (hopefully) future development there, graft the tree or regrow it from an acorn or whatever, and plant that in a plaza/garden area of the development. Win-win.

Its child would be part of the new structure's grounds and will grow with the city lol 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, orlandocity87 said:

Every time someone mentions this tree on these forums, an angel gets its wings ten similar trees are bulldozed on the outskirts of town for a new subdivision...

There are no trees similar to that one on the outskirts of town where new subdivisions are being built. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JFW657 said:

There are no trees similar to that one on the outskirts of town where new subdivisions are being built. 

There are swaths of similar trees along the rapidly developing Innovation Way and Narcoossee corridors. If a Zoi House-type project keeps hundreds of people in the urban core, that's worth it to me. (Or if people were as adamant about an urban growth boundary or environmental protections as they are about single trees.)

That said, I'm not against saving this specific tree. The effort put into tearing down the 7-11 block—two nice examples of art deco / streamline moderne / midcentury modern from 1925 and 1958—would have been better served turning the Zoi lot into a park. Especially if we're serious about saving old trees and having nice parks in this city.

On 6/22/2021 at 6:55 PM, ChiDev said:

Lol all of you are delusional if you think a developer will keep that tree and buy that expensive parcel.  If anything winds up happening on that lot, that tree is gonna be moved.

Otherwise it will sit vacant while the land owner cries (or secretly poisons said tree).

...reminds me of the Toomer's Corner incident at Auburn a few years ago.

On 6/22/2021 at 7:45 PM, ajc said:

My two cents: the tree probably wouldn't be easy to incorporate, anyways. So, what should be done for a (hopefully) future development there, graft the tree or regrow it from an acorn or whatever, and plant that in a plaza/garden area of the development. Win-win.

Its child would be part of the new structure's grounds and will grow with the city lol 

...like baby Groot?  LOL

if they did the acorn route, that would be a huge cop out letdown...

21 hours ago, JFW657 said:

...because they've been bulldozed...LOL

• Like 1

From the southeast shore of Lake Eola, this will fill in a gap between the existing buildings, creating a northern cluster around the Livingston/CV corridor: 

20210624_132911.thumb.jpg.bbf182f568ee1924abbcab6b83cfb65a.jpg

You can see the cranes poking through in the middle of the photo. At 28 stories, it will probably be about the same hight of the BOA and Skyhouse buildings filling in that gap in the middle when viewed from the lake. 

You can also see Radius, which although not the tallest building due to the restrictions imposed, makes a nice profile with the one-floor crown/spire and step-up to the courthouse a block over and filling in another gap. 

Radius looks good from this angle, IMHO. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

From the southeast shore of Lake Eola, this will fill in a gap between the existing buildings, creating a northern cluster around the Livingston/CV corridor: 

20210624_132911.thumb.jpg.bbf182f568ee1924abbcab6b83cfb65a.jpg

You can see the cranes poking through in the middle of the photo. At 28 stories, it will probably be about the same hight of the BOA and Skyhouse buildings filling in that gap in the middle when viewed from the lake. 

You can also see Radius, which although not the tallest building due to the restrictions imposed, makes a nice profile with the one-floor crown/spire and step-up to the courthouse a block over and filling in another gap. 

Radius looks good from this angle, IMHO. 

Great point. Hopefully the infill looks good. We definitely need a tower or two between Vue and Dynetech.

On the other side, something between Dynetech and 55 West would be amazing. Not sure if CSP2 would be there or not.

Edited by Uncommon

That's where the Orange and Robinson recent development is another disappointment

If that lot got built taller it would have connected the "main" downtown buildings to the "Livingston" downtown buildings so much better. . .

As it is, Orange Ave is more dense and street walled, and it went up fast, but that parcel I wish was at least 3-4 stories taller with better street level and overall design/colors. 

The problem is, it was FInFrock Pre-fab/tilt system so the higher stories are harder to do for that type of construction and cost. 

You can just barely see it  poking above the amphitheater in this image. 

20210624_133228.jpg

Sorry for the crap angle on that photo, my phone update is doing this thing now where it makes the "picture" sound before it is done taking pictures, because it is also taking a video at the same time. 

Freaking "app updates" 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1