Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

On 8/21/2021 at 1:45 PM, aent said:

Its actually worse then that. The feeling amongst developers I've spoken to is that downtown Orlando isn't worth the hassle because of the ARB. The ARB has a strong preference for what Baker Barrios does, and they seemingly have control over the board. Why go through the hassle of dealing with them, other cities will welcome them with open arms, or they can just go to a different area of Orlando even.

Interestingly, my opinion is the exact opposite of Spenser: Buddy and the board is executing their strong arm power so much its chasing everyone away, except those who have no problem going with Baker Barrios and the exact designs that they do. If we want better, we need to disband the ARB instead of trying to push out the few developers we have left, because the alternative is the same as what you're saying: we get nothing. Land values plummet. 

Its a small part of the reason why Lake Nona (no doubt in the same overall geographic area) is thriving while downtown is not. Lake Nona, the developers can do what they please, and if Tavistock makes bad decisions, they suffer the financial consequences. If our ARB makes bad decisions, we just all get nothing and they don't care.

and I recall that when The Plaza was being built, Tim Baker of BB was on that Board.  Now, that's good marketing for a firm if you want to get the design contracts of most all buildings built in downtown...dontcha think?

On 8/21/2021 at 2:02 PM, JFW657 said:

Who is this "we" you keep referring to?

And how does this "we" get people to erect buildings that will sit mostly empty and not return their investment?

I and the world would like to know what your secret formula is. 

And again, re: Frederick's wonderfully magical tenure, all those dizzyingly tall skyscrapers that line Orange Avenue is a testament to how right on the money you are. :whistling:

I think Spenser is relaying the concept of "we" as in the developers collectively and their school of thought need to build with vision (if I am getting Sir Spenser right).

Vision  = $$$

On 8/21/2021 at 2:02 PM, prahaboheme said:

Obviously we just completely disagree. 
Why would we not take a critical view to development, especially when it ISNT a net positive, on an urban development forum?

I believe that Crescent Central, such as it is, is a net positive; it's full of residents and has around 8 retailers inside, directly across from the OC CTSE, with a light display, such as it is facing Lynx and I-4, instead of a  fenced in weed field directly across the street from the courthouse.  I've been to Hillsborough County Ctse a few short years ago and it was a no man's land surrounding it.  Granted, caddy-corner it is a no man's land and to the north, but at least out the front right it has that development. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2021 at 11:33 PM, Gtothree2748 said:

On that note, I hope everyone can recognize that Society’s design alone- although  not a breath-taking skyscraper,  is more ideal for that stretch of Orange Ave compared to CC.  Society proves that when we have the right combination of market demand and city incentives we can materialize decent projects.

We can’t keep criticizing one person for their handling of a process that’s interdependent on many complex factors.

Instead of finger-pointing and complaining, we need more support of developments that are pushing us in the right direction as a city, even if they don’t check all the boxes off of our optimal urban-development checklist.

Maybe CC was the stepping stone Society needed to give developers and city officials the confidence to give it the green light.

Additionally, let’s not compare private residential developments to a public courthouse building. As a tax payer funded building with purpose in demand, I assume it was much easier to get off the ground- especially after the population boom of the 80s-90s.  Other than the courthouse that area of downtown was largely unoccupied. Skyhouse had the advantage of its proximity to lake Eola, CC had proximity to a noisy train track, a courthouse and an abandoned building.

CC walked so Society could run. Now let’s focus on what society will open the doors to next, to fly. 

those are some great points.  I say the same about Steelhouse up the road which was the first post-bust development in downtown-and in the North Quarter.  Yeah, it's only 4 stories, but it spurred NORA, The Sevens, and the Residence Inn (ala proximity to a fairly densely developed part of downtown to make it more desirable).  The Steelhouse also improved the sidewalk with lighting, linearly a good distance on two roadways, and filled in what was an abandoned gas station or whatever and weeds on that tract of land (much like CC did).

On 8/21/2021 at 12:34 PM, prahaboheme said:

It is a huge parcel that does a mediocre (at best) job of creating an inviting pedestrian environment.  The parcel alone is the size of all the buildings and businesses on Church Street from Orange Ave to the train tracks.

On any given day it is typically a hot, barren, soulless stretch of DTO where no one would rather waste a minute because there is absolutely no reason to be there unless you actually live in the building.

The architecture (if you want to call it that) was dated from the start and is aging quickly and badly. It says absolutely nothing about Orlando which is even more offensive given that it’s adjacent to Orlando’s intermodal center and across the street from the county courthouse (arguably the nicest addition to the city skyline). 
This building isn’t going anywhere — ever. The only hope now is that development that fills in the parcels around it helps to soften its dismal impact.

What is worse:  it never had to happen. 

I agree with most everything you said except for the fact that CC services the courthouse crowd, as does Skyhouse's two retails at the other corner.

On 8/22/2021 at 12:57 AM, prahaboheme said:

Let’s be clear — I’m not “finger pointing or complaining” about development in downtown Orlando as a whole. I am zeroing in on Crescent Center specifically as a total waste of space - an uninspired POS.

Most here seem to agree. 

not that you're asking, but I agree based on the low height; I think I even stated that no new residential should be shouter that say 12 stories worst case like that tilt wall building two blocks south.  But I think The City realized long ago downtown was a sea of parking lots etc and has probably tried to green light projects to fill in those gaps at all cost- to a point though.  They actually did say no to the Sentinel redevelopment massing proposals a few years ago when they tried to pull a "Steelhouse" on them, right?

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how many floors will be completed by the end of the year?

There are about 16 weeks left in 2021.

Given the length of the building and because they've been working on it for four months now and barely have two floors up, I'm guessing maybe 8 or 10 floors by years end. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 11:57 PM, JFW657 said:

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how many floors will be completed by the end of the year?

There are about 16 weeks left in 2021.

Given the length of the building and because they've been working on it for four months now and barely have two floors up, I'm guessing maybe 8 or 10 floors by years end. 

I would agree...it's a rather long building...

what, 1.5 to 2  floor levels/month?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

^^

yeah, only one of those shots is any good.  I actually u-turned on Livingston to take a shot looking west but it was raining and the darn light at Orange would not turn red no matter how slow I drove with an asshole tailgating me.

The shots are fine.

They show all there is to show, which is not much. 

• Like 4

You also captured an interesting aspect of the construction technique, which is movable deck forming for the concrete slabs. Basically, those modular steel forms are moved in and out by crane for each floor pour and then moved up to the next level once complete/cured.

Kinda interesting to see the different means/methods on these projects. The FinFrock modular stuff was super cool with them trucking in fully formed beams and panels and the pace of that type of work. 

46 minutes ago, orange87 said:

The reason it's taking so long is because of that ginormous base. Once the base is complete, the tower part will go up much faster. Hopefully the second tower won't be far behind.

That second tower is critical to creating some density and balance. I worry that the phase I does not warrant the construction of phase 2 if the units don’t lease or ground floor retail.

24 minutes ago, orlandouprise said:

which is precisely why i don't care for this or CS T1 and T2 . They are too massive and wide and will overpower and hide the entire skyline from both sides!!

I agree with this statement, apparently all new skyscrapers in Orlando are too massive.