Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

I don't know what to say other than this has got to be the most comprehensive photographic essay of a project that I have yet seen on UP.  IAmFloridaBorn, I salute you.  This makes everything that I have ever posted look like child's play.  You just raised the stakes, my friend!  Wow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I don't know what to say other than this has got to be the most comprehensive photographic essay of a project that I have yet seen on UP.  IAmFloridaBorn, I salute you.  This makes everything that I have ever posted look like child's play.  You just raised the stakes, my friend!  Wow.

What bothers me is I don't have access to anything vertical. I am forced to get all my shots from the ground so I have to find angles. Thank you for your words. I don't so anything special but I know when I was younger I wish someone had some construction photos of the high-rises I saw built! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

You need a license as sancitoned by the FAA, and after that, you may need to do flight plans depending on area and height. 

I suppose if one were to just send it straight up in the air, take a cople of pics then bring it back down, nobody would ever know. 

Especially if it were done on a Sunday morning when nobody was around. 

13 hours ago, JFW657 said:

That was my initial reaction too, but I think maybe you have to get some kind of special permit or something to flay a drone downtown. 

Not sure but I think I heard that somewhere.

To fly a drone as a hobbyist in the state of Florida (i.e. for fun / pleasure) you are required by the FAA to take The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST). You are also required to follow the FAA’s recreational model aircraft rules. One of those rules is that if your drone weighs more than 0.55 lbs (250g), you’ll need to pay $5 to get it registered. There are additional rules when it comes to airspace and altitude, keeping your drone within line-of-sight while you’re flying, and more.

I know plenty of people who do not do the requirements and never heard of anyone getting in trouble, as long as you stay away from no fly zones (anything near an airport) and stay far away from any plane or helicopter.

• Thanks 1

It is much more strict for commercial purposes or for profit. Trust me, I have seen them prepare flight plans where I work. 

You are correct that hobby only and not for profit is less strict, but you still do need to follow FAA rules. I thought the registration/class applied to all. I guess it is only the larger size.  Not sure how big a drone <.55 lbs actually is for practical purposes. 

1 hour ago, aent said:

I know plenty of people who do not do the requirements and never heard of anyone getting in trouble, as long as you stay away from no fly zones (anything near an airport) and stay far away from any plane or helicopter.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured....

13 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I suppose if one were to just send it straight up in the air, take a cople of pics then bring it back down, nobody would ever know. 

Especially if it were done on a Sunday morning when nobody was around. 

Just gotta use a little common sense.

30 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

It is much more strict for commercial purposes or for profit. Trust me, I have seen them prepare flight plans where I work. 

You are correct that hobby only and not for profit is less strict, but you still do need to follow FAA rules. I thought the registration/class applied to all. I guess it is only the larger size.  Not sure how big a drone <.55 lbs actually is for practical purposes. 

Its very small. The Mavic Mini is designed to meet that requirement:

https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Mini-Fly-More-Combo-dp-B08JGX61H7/dp/B08JGX61H7/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

Its 0.549 lbs.

Of course if your doing it as a course of business, you have to follow the business rules which are much more stringent. Actually the business rules I believe were for everyone when they were passed under Obama, but Trump deregulated it down to what we got now, and pretty much ended all enforcement for personal use. As it is, as far as I've heard, there has never been any sort of drone causing an actual crash with a plane or helicopter. All of the civilian accidents causing injury are from the drone falling out of the sky.

The Mavics are nice too because they are pretty good at warning you about the restricted air spaces, which is where you will really get in trouble.

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2021 at 4:37 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

What bothers me is I don't have access to anything vertical. I am forced to get all my shots from the ground so I have to find angles. Thank you for your words. I don't so anything special but I know when I was younger I wish someone had some construction photos of the high-rises I saw built! 

well, if you go into one of those former Orland Magic garages at CV and go to the roof, with a zoom, you can get a good shot.  I just don't know if they're open and the roof level open if they are.

we need somebody at City National Bank with a north side office...

or, somebody on jury duty

15 hours ago, jrs2 said:

well, if you go into one of those former Orland Magic garages at CV and go to the roof, with a zoom, you can get a good shot.  I just don't know if they're open and the roof level open if they are.

we need somebody at City National Bank with a north side office...

or, somebody on jury duty

They are, but the flyovers for I-4 pretty much block your view.  Ask me how I know.

• Like 1

^^

Again, this is better than the last one (photo essay).  Truly amazing and unique perspective shots, IamFloridaborn.  And the contrast is great from the building foreground to the bright blue background sky.

This building insomuch as how it is linear and across the street adjacent to another large building (rather close) reminds me of (here comes yet another Chicago reference) the interplay between Prudential and Millenium Park Plaza (minus the pedestal, of course).

151-155-n-michigan-ave-chicago-photo-1-of-16.jpg

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 3:18 PM, Musikprince said:

How do you know? You told us to ask..

So years ago I got this really cool slow shutter shot of downtown from on top of that garage (actually the best view is from one of the stairs).  This year I went to recreate that shot only to get basically no buildings and a view of the WB lanes and the retaining wall and the flyovers.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, codypet said:

So years ago I got this really cool slow shutter shot of downtown from on top of that garage (actually the best view is from one of the stairs).  This year I went to recreate that shot only to get basically no buildings and a view of the WB lanes and the retaining wall and the flyovers.

A couple more really good views, are from the top floor, SE corner of the Zora Neal Hurston state office building....

znhbldg.jpg

And the south facing side of the Marriott Hotel in that vertical outcropping that runs up the side of the building...

dtomarriott.jpg

Both places are in publicly accessable areas that serve as lobby areas for the elevators.

• Like 2