Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

3 hours ago, F-L-A said:

I'm confused. If these are the same angles, how does the taller tower (the only one u/c so far) suddenly become the shorter tower? I'm also seeing less floors in the pedestal, which makes me wonder what they've done to the rest of the building.

I’ve noticed this in the newer renderings as well. That’s what prompted me to capture the structure from the angles of the renderings. I used the neighboring buildings in the renderings as context (hence the lynx station pavilion corner in the left foreground of the 3rd picture). 

Noted, It seems like there’s a drop off at the back of the “tall” tower that makes it look shorter when viewing it from behind. Similar design with the 2nd tower dropping off in the front, giving it a shorter looking height when viewed from Orange Ave.

Can anyone share more updated renderings for this project if there are any? The ones from my comparison are from the Society Orlando website, these below are what are currently on Baker Barrios website:

535473A7-EAF0-4934-85BD-D96D4BB93ED5.jpeg

D768A8A1-70FC-4940-90AB-B026B0B910F4.jpeg

Edited by Gtothree2748
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Tim3167 said:

Yimby is now reporting the developer has updated information to them that current tower is 26 floors and 330’. 

https://floridayimby.com/2022/01/society-orlandos-concrete-superstructure-continues-vertical-ascent-in-downtown-orlando.html

It got Orlando'd at the last second. Unfortunate but not surprising.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Tim3167 said:

Yimby is now reporting the developer has updated information to them that current tower is 26 floors and 330’. 

https://floridayimby.com/2022/01/society-orlandos-concrete-superstructure-continues-vertical-ascent-in-downtown-orlando.html

"The remaining 245 units will be constructed in phase two during the development of the smaller 16-story north tower." 

28-story to 26-story and 17-story to 16-story. Both towers were revised last minute 

Edited by ajc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GregoryMCSE said:

The towed are so wide.  I am kind of glad they cut the height down a bit.   For me, this project is about infill.  It gets a big bulk project on a lot that had been empty forever (2 decades?).  

Why would you be glad? Buildings being wide but lacking height is not a good thing.

See: Literally every other building in Orlando. 

Edited by F-L-A
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, F-L-A said:

Why would you be glad? Buildings being wide but lacking height is not a good thing.

I think the idea is that a building with such a massive floor plate, twice to three times as large as Orlando’s “skyscrapers” will have a negative impact on the appearance of the skyline being a mid rise plotted down at such a visible location.

A floor here or there likely isn’t going to make a difference in that appearance so I think the net loss of residential units is a negative for achieving  critical mass to support downtown retail.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, F-L-A said:

I just don’t like the way it is juxtaposed against to City National Bank Building.  If Society was nearly as tall as that building it would illustrate that the City building really is not that tall at all.

I am glad  that this lot is getting built on finally, but it is not my favorite project.  

At one point we were going to get a 493 ft pizzuti (cube) building. Another proposal was for the Ajax soccer stadium to built on top of a large parking deck with storefront shops.  There was another project proposed for a campus of some sort with beautiful buildings and tons of greenery.  Long story short.  This project is ok but when I think of what could have been… well it kind of sucks.  

Edited by GregoryMCSE

14 minutes ago, GregoryMCSE said:

I just don’t like the way it is juxtaposed against to City National Bank Building.  If Society was nearly as tall as that building it would illustrate that the City really is not that tall at all.

I am glad  that this lot is getting built on finally, but it is not my favorite project.  

At one point we were going to get a 493 ft pizzuti (cube) building. Another proposal was for Alex soccer stadium built on top of a large parking deck with storefront shops.  There was another project proposed for a campus of some sort with beautiful buildings and tons of greenery.  Long story short.  This project is ok but when I think of what could have been… well it kind of sucks.  

It’s certainly an improvement over the abysmal Central Station next door which almost immediately showed its age. 

I agree that the proposals continually downsized (some in height and others in ambition) since the Pizzuti proposal years ago.

What could make this project exciting bought be an announcement of a major retailer. 

• Like 1