Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

21 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

It’s certainly an improvement over the abysmal Central Station next door which almost immediately showed its age. 

I agree that the proposals continually downsized (some in height and others in ambition) since the Pizzuti proposal years ago.

What could make this project exciting bought be an announcement of a major retailer. 

I’ve always wondered why Ron Pizzuti abandoned ship. He was an up and comer among Orlando developers, not corporate like Lincoln and some others but not as mercurial as Cameron Kuhn and a lot of the independents.

I know The Great Recession sidetracked some of his plans, but then as things improved he decided to take his marbles back to Columbus* and concentrate on it.

I’d love someone like @AndyPok1, who’s a fellow Ohioan and is quite good when he puts his journalism hat on, to find out what happened to Ron. He wasn’t afraid to dream but you never got the feeling he was all hat and no cattle like some of these guys (and, of course, Ms. Ponte).

* Columbus is growing but not like Orlando.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 3:14 PM, prahaboheme said:

It’s certainly an improvement over the abysmal Central Station next door which almost immediately showed its age. 

I agree that the proposals continually downsized (some in height and others in ambition) since the Pizzuti proposal years ago.

What could make this project exciting bought be an announcement of a major retailer. 

They definitely have lots of retail space available:

https://retailproperties.cbre.us/p/retail-real-estate-listings/Orlando-FL-32801/societyorlando#plans

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Funny... because that's exactly what they DID do according to Tim3167's above post from Saturday morning. :dontknow: 

They modified their plans before they went vertical. Adding or subtracting floors are not easy when you start work. Subtracting is easier but a waste of money since the foundation is built for a larger tower. On top of that, you have material change that may lead you back to MPB and ARB. Get you stuff right before you break ground. Making changes after the fact is expensive. 

20 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’ve always wondered why Ron Pizzuti abandoned ship. He was an up and comer among Orlando developers, not corporate like Lincoln and some others but not as mercurial as Cameron Kuhn and a lot of the independents.

I know The Great Recession sidetracked some of his plans, but then as things improved he decided to take his marbles back to Columbus* and concentrate on it.

I’d love someone like @AndyPok1, who’s a fellow Ohioan and is quite good when he puts his journalism hat on, to find out what happened to Ron. He wasn’t afraid to dream but you never got the feeling he was all hat and no cattle like some of these guys (and, of course, Ms. Ponte).

* Columbus is growing but not like Orlando.

His son runs the company and he wants to focus on the midwest. They have done some cool stuff in Nashville and other cities in the midwest. But yes, they are mostly in Columbus. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What stores are 14000 sqft?  

Ohhhhh Aldi.  I forgot about that when I sent them that email about wanting them to move into the Walgreen's on Curry Ford.
Given that, CVS would go well there too.

Or a Trader Joe’s (the other Aldi). I somehow ended up in both area locations over the holidays, and could see they could certainly use more locations. Especially as an alternative to that frightful Winter Park one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

If we get an Aldi downtown, we might even get @JFW657 to move back downtown and be a party animal again!

They just opened up one on Colonial which pretty much covers the downtown demo (I'd imagine) - so I don't think we'll be getting one downtown. 

How big is the Publix in Paramount? I could see Publix wanting to be in that area (it's closer to UCF Downtown, which currently has a shuttle that goes to the Paramount one). There was this article back in '19 as well: https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/04/05/publix-reportedly-seeking-another-downtown-orlando.html

...and we all know Publix doesn't mind building stores right next to each other. 

5 minutes ago, bqknight said:

They just opened up one on Colonial which pretty much covers the downtown demo (I'd imagine) - so I don't think we'll be getting one downtown. 

How big is the Publix in Paramount? I could see Publix wanting to be in that area (it's closer to UCF Downtown, which currently has a shuttle that goes to the Paramount one). There was this article back in '19 as well: https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/04/05/publix-reportedly-seeking-another-downtown-orlando.html

...and we all know Publix doesn't mind building stores right next to each other. 

“Market” Publii are roughly 25k. The Paramount store is slightly larger than Shine or College Park. An average “normal” Publix is about 45k.

21 hours ago, CFL4Transit said:

Downtown needs a small format Target since it already has a grocery store and pharmacy, but no general merchandise retail like Target. One aimed at students would do well.

I hated that there we lost the Alley when this happened, but I think you're talking about something like this.  However I think the available square footage is too small even for a small format Target.

NC State Target

• Like 2

They’re actually going as small as 6000sf now:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/target-smaller-stores-transformation

From FOX Business 

Given how close SoDo and Maguire are, it might be an ideal compromise.

Importantly, if they come, others will follow. Given the ineptitude of our erstwhile downtown leader when it comes to retail, it may be our only prayer.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, codypet said:

I hated that there we lost the Alley when this happened, but I think you're talking about something like this.  However I think the available square footage is too small even for a small format Target.

NC State Target

Yes that's exactly what i'm talking, I love these! Also small format Targets can be as small as 15,000 sq. ft, especially ones aimed at students, with some even as small as 12k S sq. ft.!

I just wrote a paper for a planning class that proposed using the façade of Church Street Station for a small format Target and learned that they're the most profitable segment of Target., so they're doubling down on them as a strategy which feels great for urban residents. I've become obsessed with them as a great example of modern urbanism.

The urban Targets are big on adaptive reuse and creating iconic places, like the bowling alley reuse you posted. These two in Chicago and Minneapolis are some of my favorites. Idk how feasible reusing Church Street Station is with all the historical protections or from an engineering standpoint, but I know the owners did the Walgreens adaptive reuse project on Orange which I love. Even if it was not feasible to use Church Street Station,  a small format target around 15,000 SF like this space  in Society would be perfect for downtown!

Minneapolis Small Format target.png

State st Chicago Target.jpg

Edited by CFL4Transit
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, CFL4Transit said:

The urban Targets are big on adaptive reuse and creating iconic places, like the bowling alley reuse you posted. 

Unfortunately the bowling Alley example was a great quirky old school alley that was very very popular and it came out that Target was throwing crazy money at it for the real estate.  The exterior wasn't much to look at but it was a loved Big Lebowski style alley that was lost.   There was a huge backlash when it was announced just because places like that don't exist anymore.

image.png.6c8732c260019d6d6ff3e2778bcc9629.pngimage.png.7a5d12ea549c1d644b88ebc51f90ffad.png

The mural in the new Target did keep the old signage in one part of the store.

image.png.79816845b090b1d23981bb072c17b5ff.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, codypet said:

Unfortunately the bowling Alley example was a great quirky old school alley that was very very popular and it came out that Target was throwing crazy money at it for the real estate.  The exterior wasn't much to look at but it was a loved Big Lebowski style alley that was lost.   There was a huge backlash when it was announced just because places like that don't exist anymore.

Not to derail the thread too much, but any news on Colonial Lanes? I drove by and there were dumpsters being filled like they were gutting the inside. But I haven't seen any designs or advertising like new projects seem to get. 

2 minutes ago, orlandocity87 said:

Not to derail the thread too much, but any news on Colonial Lanes? I drove by and there were dumpsters being filled like they were gutting the inside. But I haven't seen any designs or advertising like new projects seem to get. 

Funny you mention that because I was driving by and my memory was jogged that they've bought Cleo's and prioritized bringing that concept operational, and have left Colonial Lanes on the back burner until they get Cleo's done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Funny you mention that because I was driving by and my memory was jogged that they've bought Cleo's and prioritized bringing that concept operational, and have left Colonial Lanes on the back burner until they get Cleo's done.

Yup!  Work is ongoing but slow. I've seen some Colonial Lanes renderings from dap design, and some of the same curb appeal from Barton Malow will continue north to this project.

• Like 3