Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

On 1/12/2022 at 5:05 PM, spenser1058 said:

They’re actually going as small as 6000sf now:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/target-smaller-stores-transformation

From FOX Business 

Given how close SoDo and Maguire are, it might be an ideal compromise.

Importantly, if they come, others will follow. Given the ineptitude of our erstwhile downtown leader when it comes to retail, it may be our only prayer.

...ya crack meh up... cut Buddee some slack!  He is  Gator, ya know...

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

...ya crack meh up... cut Buddee some slack!  He is  Gator, ya know...

Actually, I had someone else in mind but God help us if you have the courage in this room to call out who’s delivering poor performance. Part of Orlando’s problem is that, unlike Tier 1 cities, every single person ever hired here is deemed Practically Perfect In Every Way. Had Joel Greenberg been the tax collector in Orange County, many of our posters would still be defending his massive frauds as “just picking on him.”

It’s why so much of Orlando is so mediocre compared to our peer cities. Thank God for great weather! The sad part is we were once admired and cutting edge, not unlike our state government. Entropy rules in Orlando and too much of the Sunshine State these days

We should constantly evaluate those in the public sector and promote those who are improving things and sending the deadwood elsewhere. I know, what a concept.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Actually, I had someone else in mind but God help us if you have the courage in this room to call out who’s delivering poor performance. Part of Orlando’s problem is that, unlike Tier 1 cities, every single person ever hired here is deemed Practically Perfect In Every Way. Had Joel Greenberg been the tax collector in Orange County, many of our posters would still be defending his massive frauds as “just picking on him.”

It’s why so much of Orlando is so mediocre compared to our peer cities. Thank God for great weather! The sad part is we were once admired and cutting edge, not unlike our state government. Entropy rules in Orlando and too much of the Sunshine State these days

We should constantly evaluate those in the public sector and promote those who are improving things and sending the deadwood elsewhere. I know, what a concept.

Could you provide some specifics on evaluating Orlando vs other peer cities...? I keep seeing Orlando winning various innovation awards (such as the Harvard City award) and I know that pales in comparison to the opinions of old, ex-City workers sitting around talking about the good old days, but it does generate press releases. Maybe you and your chums should start a newswire to get the word out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I rubbed elbows with a lot of these guys downtown.  Socially they seemed pretty cool.  it's like a club of sorts.  If it's like that here, imagine how it is in DC...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Just driving around doing the drive-by shooting today. The Arctic Air is not my favorite to walk in.

PXL_20220123_145227933.jpg

PXL_20220123_145009795.jpg

PXL_20220123_144958384.jpg

PXL_20220123_144931571.jpg

PXL_20220123_144925454.jpg

PXL_20220123_144906517.jpg

PXL_20220123_144915605.jpg

PXL_20220123_144704714.jpg

PXL_20220123_144700164.jpg

PXL_20220123_144437249.jpg

PXL_20220123_144434445.jpg

PXL_20220123_145409221.jpg

I was shocked by all the apparently former Yankees walking around TP today. Publix was also crowded. I, of course, was bundled up in LL Bean’s toastiest and had the heater on full blast in the car. Make it stop!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, jrs2 said:

the height of Phase 1 presently, looks roughly like what the height of Phase 2 will be- unless they go back and get a variance or whatever to make it taller because of demand...

I'm no engineer, but I don't think it would be so easy to get a variance to build taller/add more units. If Phase II's foundation & pedestal are only rated to handle the load of "x height/units" then that may be what we're stuck with. Maybe one of the engineers here might know more if the Phase II is being built with potential to scale up if needed.

Changes from original building plans is one of the reasons why the Millenium Tower in San Francisco has already tilted 2 ft and settled more than 16 in-- it was originally planned as a lighter steel structure but they switched to concrete which ended up putting more pressure on the friction pile foundation than what it was rated for (vs upgrading the original design with a foundation with piles that go down to bedrock).

Just saying any variations in building Society taller or adding more units to the current design will have to be compatible with what the existing foundation & pedestal are meant to handle.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I'm no engineer, but I don't think it would be so easy to get a variance to build taller/add more units. If Phase II's foundation & pedestal are only rated to handle the load of "x height/units" then that may be what we're stuck with. Maybe one of the engineers here might know more if the Phase II is being built with potential to scale up if needed.

Just saying any variations in building Society taller or adding more units to the current design will have to be compatible with what the existing foundation & pedestal are meant to handle.

I heard from one of them, that structural engineers over design by a factor of 5.  

I remember also, that the old JCPenney store in DTO, was doubled in height by building on top of the old building that had been there for several decades. 

I don't know how long you've been around here, but the original JCPenney is the red brick part on the bottom. 

4e6c2027f480fd8afb6931f6113dcad3.jpg

I would think it's likely they built the foundation and pedestal uniformly all the way across, so the other side could probably support more floors.

I would THINK anyway.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

You can see new Mast Style traffic signals they just finally installed on the Colonial and Orange intersection.  Took like 5 years for that project, lol. 

They're just about wrapped up and they still haven't cleaned the mess they made at Mills with that temp detour they have along South and Anderson.