Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

27 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm just hoping it never gets a big TRUMP sign across the top of it...  <_< 

i-am-going-5be779.jpg

LOL>  do you remember or did you know about the drama in Chi-town when Trump Tower was finished and Trump slapped a giant "TRUMP" sign on it facing the Chicago River?  That was awesome.  Not even Sears had it's sign or even Standard Oil or John Hancock on their supertalls, and Trump goes and upsets the architectural design board, where the likes of SOM and Wright hailed from, with his Atlantic City-esque sign, to woo weary travelers sailing into port on the rivers. LOL.  It's so funny... Of all places to slap that kind of a sign onto... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

LOL>  do you remember or did you know about the drama in Chi-town when Trump Tower was finished and Trump slapped a giant "TRUMP" sign on it facing the Chicago River?  That was awesome.  Not even Sears had it's sign or even Standard Oil or John Hancock on their supertalls, and Trump goes and upsets the architectural design board, where the likes of SOM and Wright hailed from, with his Atlantic City-esque sign, to woo weary travelers sailing into port on the rivers. LOL.  It's so funny... Of all places to slap that kind of a sign onto... 

I actually do remember hearing about that.

Don't remember if it was here or on the news.

I did see the picture of it, though....

chicago-river-walk-trump-tower-signage-v

I understand it wasn't there very long before being removed. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Nashville is another city that has regarded signage on talls  as gauche. Dunno if that’s still the case now.

Here in Orlando, we have to use the logos to keep your mind off how homely most of our talls are…

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Oh, it's still there and horrifying as ever (for plenty more reasons than it was initially back in 2014). Part of the shock came from the fact that the building was finished in 2009, and the sign came 5 years after the fact. 

After the public backlash, Rahm Emmanuel looked into codifying restrictions on signage, but I don't think it actually went anywhere - although I doubt the City Council would authorize a similar scenario again (and nobody understands why they approved it in the first place, although this being Chicago + Trump we can probably assume there were bribes involved).

It's really incredible that there is basically no other signage along the riverfront not because of coding restrictions but rather purely out of elective respect for Chicago's incredible architectural tradition. Except for this monstrosity. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Nashville is another city that has regarded signage on talls  as gauche. Dunno if that’s still the case now.

Here in Orlando, we have to use the logos to keep your mind off how homely most of our talls are…

But then Nashville (or Naiyshville as they pronounce it) has that hideous looking "Batman" building, so the horse is already out of the barn as far as gaucheness is concerned. 

PXY64.jpg 

No matter how crappy our downtown buildings might be, at least we didn't get stuck with that thing.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JFW657 said:

But then Nashville (or Naiyshville as they pronounce it) has that hideous looking "Batman" building, so the horse is already out of the barn as far as gaucheness is concerned. 

PXY64.jpg 

No matter how crappy our downtown buildings might be, at least we didn't get stuck with that thing.

The Nashville Batman building is the ugliest skyscraper in the USA to my eyes at least.  Horrible. 

• Thanks 1

Oh well, the French like it (of course, they like Jerry Lewis movies so…). Anyway, the logo’s up there (or at least it was) so I guess Nashville has gotten in the mud with us:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Building_(Nashville)

I think y’all are just jealous it’s 617’ tall…

It’s also become such a symbol of Nashville  - the state even put it on the license plates one year ( we should note TN runs circles around FL when it comes to making their basic tags attractive).

Edited by spenser1058

16 hours ago, JFW657 said:

no...it's still there...he probably greased the right people to approve it...maybe it coincides when he gave $$$ to Hillary...

13 hours ago, uncreativeusername said:

Oh, it's still there and horrifying as ever (for plenty more reasons than it was initially back in 2014). Part of the shock came from the fact that the building was finished in 2009, and the sign came 5 years after the fact. 

After the public backlash, Rahm Emmanuel looked into codifying restrictions on signage, but I don't think it actually went anywhere - although I doubt the City Council would authorize a similar scenario again (and nobody understands why they approved it in the first place, although this being Chicago + Trump we can probably assume there were bribes involved).

It's really incredible that there is basically no other signage along the riverfront not because of coding restrictions but rather purely out of elective respect for Chicago's incredible architectural tradition. Except for this monstrosity. 

Equitable Insurance, United Insurance, for example, both had huge signage on their towers along Michigan Ave and Wacker Drive.  There's a lot more than that too over the years.  Prudential...which was the tallest in the city at the time when it was built.  A lot more buildings.  I actually forgot about these until I thought about it for a minute.  There was even more from way before then...Playboy at the north end next to JHC.  Oh yeah, signage on the talls stems back to the 1920's in Chicago.

So, the more I think about it, he may not have had to grease anyone...maybe the concession was to have the sign low to the ground.

31 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Equitable Insurance, United Insurance, for example, both had huge signage on their towers along Michigan Ave and Wacker Drive.  There's a lot more than that too over the years.  Prudential...which was the tallest in the city at the time when it was built.  A lot more buildings.  I actually forgot about these until I thought about it for a minute.  There was even more from way before then...Playboy at the north end next to JHC.  Oh yeah, signage on the talls stems back to the 1920's in Chicago.

So, the more I think about it, he may not have had to grease anyone...maybe the concession was to have the sign low to the ground.

At that height and overlooking the river, it's not that bad looking.

The most objectionable thing about it is the name itself and who it belongs to.  ;) 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

At that height and overlooking the river, it's not that bad looking.

The most objectionable thing about it is the name itself and who it belongs to.  ;) 

LOL.  maybe he can get some street cred with you if he agrees to let them film a movie where either a car bursts out of the side of it and onto an unsuspecting tour boat below (that would be cool) or even maybe a helicopter scene like in The Matrix where they pummel an entire floor with.50 cal rds... or

maybe have him (Him) in the car (convertible) yelling "Geronimo!" as he crashes into the Chicago River below. LOL.  Is yelling "Geronimo"" even considered PC? LOL.  He then gets fined by The City for yelling "Geronimo" as a result, and they slap him with the fine (hand delivered) as he's laid up in the ER at Rush Memorial a couple of miles away. 

LOL.  He's also firing an Uzi (without a Class III) as he's bursting out of the side of the building.  SO now, he get slapped with Federal charges.  So when he gets out of the hospital, they just drive him down to JC Kluzcinski and prosecute him for that charge as Blago happens to be there for an appeal of his case.  While there, they exchange favorable glances and signal approval of each others' hair helmets.

3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

LOL.  maybe he can get some street cred with you if he agrees to let them film a movie where either a car bursts out of the side of it and onto an unsuspecting tour boat below (that would be cool) or even maybe a helicopter scene like in The Matrix where they pummel an entire floor with.50 cal rds... or

maybe have him (Him) in the car (convertible) yelling "Geronimo!" as he crashes into the Chicago River below. LOL.  Is yelling "Geronimo"" even considered PC? LOL.  He then gets fined by The City for yelling "Geronimo" as a result, and they slap him with the fine (hand delivered) as he's laid up in the ER at Rush Memorial a couple of miles away. 

LOL.  He's also firing an Uzi (without a Class III) as he's bursting out of the side of the building.  SO now, he get slapped with Federal charges.  So when he gets out of the hospital, they just drive him down to JC Kluzcinski and prosecute him for that charge as Blago happens to be there for an appeal of his case.  While there, they exchange favorable glances and signal approval of each others' hair helmets.

Remember, even Aaaaahnold wants nothing to do with The Donald.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jrs2 said:

That would all work better in an animated or CGI film.

They could make anything happen that way. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Not saying there aren't signs on buildings in Chicago - just, not along the river.

12 hours ago, uncreativeusername said:

Not saying there aren't signs on buildings in Chicago - just, not along the river.

United Insurance, Executive House, Equitable, and Sun Times were from the 1950's all the way to the 2000's.  It was a thing.  Including Kemper Insurance (Civic Opera House) farther down river near Sears...