Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

On 6/30/2022 at 3:48 PM, bqknight said:

Aldi just opened their store at Colonial, so I doubt they'd move in there. Not sure I see Trader Joe's either - their current locations are Dr. Phillips and Winter Park (more upscale neighborhoods). 

We do really need more than 2 TJ in a city this size.

2 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

One on the East side and one down near Lake Nona would be nice, too.

Charlotte, whose MSA is almost the same size as ours, has three. Downtown’s median income isn’t likely high enough (although if we had someone in charge of downtown actively recruiting chains like TJs we could very likely push above our weight).

I agree Oviedo/Winter Springs or Lake Nona will likely be next.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

OMG.  how depressing.  it looks like a barren wasteland.

True, but those Google Maps Street View images always tend to look that way.

The perception of depth is different. 

Everything appears closer and more pulled toward the viewer in the top photo and the farther buildings appear larger.

Maybe if the Google Image had the same telephoto lens type effect that the top picture has it might not look so barren.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JFW657 said:

True, but those Google Maps Street View images always tend to look that way.

The perception of depth is different. 

Everything appears closer and more pulled toward the viewer in the top photo and the farther buildings appear larger.

Maybe if the Google Image had the same telephoto lens type effect that the top picture has it might not look so barren.  

I used some zoom on that shot.  but if I took it again right next to the church without zoom, I think it would do that same fish eye lens effect on the edge like Google.  I'll try it.  I noticed my phone does that on other shots.

23 hours ago, JFW657 said:

20220706_145033.jpg.8792b9eab529569ff0d4

orangerobinsonbldg2.jpg

I think this is from 2008.

Question from the 2008 picture (and you have to zoom in for this): Does anyone know what the green building on the left after the Landmark parking garage housed? At the time of the pic some sort of office I guess because of the sign out front. Thank you.

I was wondering what once was there where now my doggie goes poo, the Radius dog walk with a waste baggie station is in that area presently. And if any Radius people are reading this, just to let you know, I pick up every time. 

Radius people will appreciate the significance of that statement. :tw_smile:

8 minutes ago, eq1974 said:

Question from the 2008 picture (and you have to zoom in for this): Does anyone know what the green building on the left after the Landmark parking garage housed? At the time of the pic some sort of office I guess because of the sign out front. Thank you.

I was wondering what once was there where now my doggie goes poo, the Radius dog walk with a waste baggie station is in that area presently. And if any Radius people are reading this, just to let you know, I pick up every time. 

It was a craftsman home turned law office.

048CBC60-18E8-4AB6-B245-DB7E7B1C2429.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eq1974 said:

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

It was a craftsman home turned law office.

048CBC60-18E8-4AB6-B245-DB7E7B1C2429.png

I seem to recall reading somewhere, that many years ago, before it became a law office, an older guy who designed houses or something lived there and I think the story was that he either died or was killed inside of it.

Maybe someone else here knows the story, if there is in fact, such a story. 

10 hours ago, codypet said:

@nite owℓ had the background on that a while back.

Thanks @codypet, yes I did a write up on that story a few years ago. 1) Had those two parcels not merged and 2) had the city not granted approval for the N Rosalind Ave ROW to be abandoned, Radius would never have been built and we'd have been stuck with two smaller lots with no real density on that corner.