Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

A couple shots from July 4.  First during the daytime Roe protest, then across the lake pre-fireworks.

IMG_1650.thumb.jpg.f0bcdfc269a7f55f0db3801339bbf1ff.jpg

Off topic... speaking of fireworks, were you in the crowd during the stampede? I watched it unfold from my balcony... I saw a wave of thousands of people start running for their lives. My heart sank as I thought Orlando was experiencing another mass shooting. The fireworks continued throughout so initially I couldn't pinpoint any noise that would be considered out of the ordinary, but I wasn't taking any chances and ducked back inside for a while. It was interesting to see the juxtaposition of emotions down below... some people were intent on finishing watching the fireworks until the end after they determined it was a false alarm, other people still screaming in fear, families calling out for loved ones, old people being carried away, OPD patrolling and giving instructions over the intercom, a group of little kids playing on the muse, a few bicyclists popping wheelies in the street, and then at the very end the clean team picking up trash amidst the bystanders as if nothing happened. A scary and surreal night that I will never forget.

Edited by nite owℓ

On 7/12/2022 at 2:10 PM, nite owℓ said:

Off topic... speaking of fireworks, were you in the crowd during the stampede? I watched it unfold from my balcony... I saw a wave of thousands of people start running for their lives. My heart sank as I thought Orlando was experiencing another mass shooting. The fireworks continued throughout so initially I couldn't pinpoint any noise that would be considered out of the ordinary, but I wasn't taking any chances and ducked back inside for a while. It was interesting to see the juxtaposition of emotions down below... some people were intent on finishing watching the fireworks until the end after they determined it was a false alarm, other people still screaming in fear, families calling out for loved ones, old people being carried away, OPD patrolling and giving instructions over the intercom, a group of little kids playing on the muse, a few bicyclists popping wheelies in the street, and then at the very end the clean team picking up trash amidst the bystanders as if nothing happened. A scary and surreal night that I will never forget.

I was there - right on the terraces next to Central Blvd.  I've done the fireworks plenty of times,  but joined a new-to-Orlando friend from China who hadn't been to ours before and didn't want to go alone. 

I heard a set of firecrackers go off closer to Publix and thought "that's a stupid idea" then another set a couple minutes later that sounded like it was between Waverly and Capital Plaza 2.  It was very loud and reverberated a lot.  I was 90% sure it was fireworks, but it didn't sound like everything else.  With folks on edge from the Highland Park parade shooting (and the general state of things) they started running toward the lake from Central, jumping off the wall to lower ground. 

I tried to jump down, and my leg got pinned between the wall and the bench, resulting in a pretty nasty scrape on my thigh.  Because it took me a couple of seconds to get down, the wall itself was packed with people hiding, so I ended up looking back up the hill.  My friend and I agreed on a meeting place if we got separated, and when I figured it was safe to move, we ended up heading out of the park past Publix.  We were probably in the first 5% to leave the terrace area.  There were all kinds of camp chairs and personal items left behind, and I tried to throw them into the bushes as I could as we went to hopefully make it safer for those who would be leaving behind us.  We passed Publix, where the vestibule was packed, and took Pine around and ended up at a different friend's place at 1 S Eola. We stayed there for 20-30 minutes as I patched up my leg and had some BBQ and a drink before hopping on scooters and making a wide circle east and north of the park back to my friend's apartment at Central Station before I headed home. 

I'm honestly surprised more people weren't seriously injured in the chaos.  Running events myself, we always look to control access with barricade in the name of safety, but if there had been bike rack up, I think it would have been worse as people looked for exits or injured themselves going over the barricade.  

I was sitting on the wall behind the bench where this person is sitting, and my friend was on the wall where the bike is. 
image.thumb.png.94dbdb18f2879012eea02007fc47df24.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

The Grand Rapids concrete pumping crew says the 2nd tower, blocking the judicial powerhouse from the clermont skyline view, should start soon.

Shadow cast will help with your tax dollars ACing it 247.      Is the 13th built out or still moth balled?

that's great news.  but I don't understand the second line of your post about ACing and the 13th being moth balled.  what does that mean?  thx.

33 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

that's great news.  but I don't understand the second line of your post about ACing and the 13th being moth balled.  what does that mean?  thx.

The shadow of the taller tower will help keep the shorter one cool and the a/c costs down.

Not sure where/how tax dollars come into the picture.

13th maybe 13th floor? 

Some buildings skip 13.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

The shadow of the taller tower will help keep the shorter one cool and the a/c costs down.

Not sure where/how tax dollars come into the picture.

13th maybe 13th floor? 

Some buildings skip 13.

got it. yep.    maybe they were going to build out the 13th floor with something...

4 hours ago, eq1974 said:

And add yet another month of progress. Compare the building’s top between the pics. In taking this just now I thought of what it must be like working on interior features in the August heat without air conditioning. Yikes! 

0FED662A-6E41-45F9-B0E6-E88808FA8F46.thumb.jpeg.7e38331d998664899c95c14c970474d0.jpeg

you brought out the hardware for that shot!

21 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Anyone know how tall this is supposed to be? Looks close to 400.

don't think so (depending on your definition of close).  DuPont/BOA/City National I believe is like 410' or 404' at the top of the spires, so, the roofline is like 25' or so shorter...

7 minutes ago, GregoryMCSE said:

I believe it is 391.  

interesting.  then my numbers may be wrong on City National's height to the spires...

24 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

don't think so (depending on your definition of close).  DuPont/BOA/City National I believe is like 410' or 404' at the top of the spires, so, the roofline is like 25' or so shorter...

interesting.  then my numbers may be wrong on City National's height to the spires...

391 (if true) would make it one of the tallest buildings in downtown. Top 5. 

• Like 1