Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I think that may be an old rendering.

Possibly depicting the complex as it would appear prior to the addition of a third tower that was part of the original proposal.

If you count the floors on the southernmost tower, you'll find that it is well shy of the current 26 floor height. 

I think that what is depicted there as the northernmost tower, was actually intended to be in the middle of two towers. 

Guess we'll all see in due time. 

Here's what seem to be a more up to date rendering....

277a3d5d-c357-4e06-889b-dd3985170825_Pho

Looks to be sitting to the north of the current pedestal.

I would say Tower 2 would come to the edge, except for the fact that in reality, the pedestal portion for Tower 2 is only 4 window columns wide (as opposed to the 6 depicted above, as with the Tower 1 pedestal).  This means the tower would be skinnier unless it is recessed off of Orange Ave as with the prior rendering.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Looks like that tower goes where the construction trailers are currently located.   I guess that confirms no movement on the 2nd tower yet. It does make me feel better that there's not this weird vacant lot between this and Central Station.

image.thumb.png.51e79845eab452b98a5ba11e23963ebe.png

See i thought i misunderstood what you were saying. Thank you. I didnt even notice that huge gap. Makes me winder how the three tower original would have looked here. 

22 hours ago, codypet said:

Looks like that tower goes where the construction trailers are currently located.   I guess that confirms no movement on the 2nd tower yet. It does make me feel better that there's not this weird vacant lot between this and Central Station.

image.thumb.png.51e79845eab452b98a5ba11e23963ebe.png

Hmmm?  Tower 2 is going to go where the construction trailers are currently at?  Ah...

On 10/3/2022 at 2:36 PM, JFW657 said:

I think that may be an old rendering.

Possibly depicting the complex as it would appear prior to the addition of a third tower that was part of the original proposal.

If you count the floors on the southernmost tower, you'll find that it is well shy of the current 26 floor height. 

I think that what is depicted there as the northernmost tower, was actually intended to be in the middle of two towers. 

Guess we'll all see in due time. 

Here's what seem to be a more up to date rendering....

277a3d5d-c357-4e06-889b-dd3985170825_Pho

Looks to be sitting to the north of the current pedestal.

scratch my last comment on Tower 2.  Now I get it.  The Tower 2 pedestal hasn't even been built yet.  The photos that have been posted match this rendering...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, codypet said:

@jrs2 Yep.  They haven't even remotely started on tower 2 it looks.   

I hope it happens.  Otherwise we'll have this weird wire wall facing Central Station where the garage is supposed to continue to the new tower's pedestal.

Not to mention a lop-sided looking structure that will appear as though it wants to tip over. 

4 hours ago, codypet said:

@jrs2 Yep.  They haven't even remotely started on tower 2 it looks.   

I hope it happens.  Otherwise we'll have this weird wire wall facing Central Station where the garage is supposed to continue to the new tower's pedestal.

I will guaranty you, that since Tower 2 is going where the trailers are, that because the "length" of the pedestal never changed after all the crying done by Crescent and "redesign", that they will petition in the future for a Tower 3 like originally planned (so long as they don't build out pool decks etc where it would otherwise go.

Oh, wait, is this a conspiracy theory?  @JFW657, I may need an intervention!

24 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I will guaranty you, that since Tower 2 is going where the trailers are, that because the "length" of the pedestal never changed after all the crying done by Crescent and "redesign", that they will petition in the future for a Tower 3 like originally planned (so long as they don't build out pool decks etc where it would otherwise go.

After the dreck Crescent inflicted on our downtown’s primary thoroughfare (of course, aided and abetted with a loud “attaboy!” from a certain elected official who shall remain nameless), I wouldn’t call that a conspiracy. I would refer to it as poetic justice.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

After the dreck Crescent inflicted on our downtown’s primary thoroughfare (of course, aided and abetted with a loud “attaboy!” from a certain elected official who shall remain nameless), I wouldn’t call that a conspiracy. I would refer to it as poetic justice.

cut Him some slack, will ya?

remember, Crescent was like the second building built post-bust, right?  Didn't Steelhouse start the post-bust "boom" in like 2013?  And at 4 stories.  Well, Crescent bested them by a floor or two, so they did us a favor.  LOL.

Seriously, though, the audacity of them to complain-- and, of the City to make Society change their plans as a result.  That shocked me.  If this was Chicago...let me tell ya...

18 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Oh I was trying to figure out what you meant.   You're saying they'll build towers 1 & the original 3, and not 2 because Crescent will continue to cry foul?

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Oh I was trying to figure out what you meant.   You're saying they'll build towers 1 & the original 3, and not 2 because Crescent will continue to cry foul?

well, think about it.  Tower 2 is right up against Crescent, right?  At that point, why would they care if a third tower went in between the two?  that's what I was thinking.  I mean, so long as vacancy rates warrant more rooms...  They are still getting Society's rear end right up against them as before, so, nothing has really changed...Tower 1 got a little taller to offset the loss of Tower 3 (which would otherwise go in the middle of the two).

23 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I'm not sure how the length of the pedestal has anything to do with Crescent or their reaction.

The way I look at it, the dimension of the facade of Society's pedestal, which runs along Orange Ave between Livingston and Crescent, would be considered the WIDTH, which is what I believe you were referring to.

I'm thinking the length would be the dimension running from Orange Ave toward the RR tracks.  

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I'm not sure how the length of the pedestal has anything to do with Crescent or their reaction.

The way I look at it, the dimension of the facade of Society's pedestal, which runs along Orange Ave between Livingston and Crescent, would be considered the WIDTH, which is what I believe you were referring to.

I'm thinking the length would be the dimension running from Orange Ave toward the RR tracks.  

yes, that's what I'm referring to.  even though Crescent complained, the "width" still goes right up to the property line...I though it shrunk and ended before the trailers (the base, that is); and, base width not height; the base height did shrink down to "three" levels above the first vs "five" or so above the first level.

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, orange87 said:

In a "normal" city, the 28-story tower would have been the shorter of the two towers. The other one should be around 40 stories.

The problem there is that Orlando has never been a “normal” city. Downtown is not now and never has been the primary economic engine of the region. Central Florida has always been , ummmm, decentralized, a process that  picked up even more steam after WWII, into the aerospace and tourism eras.

Having said that, I’m agnostic on building heights. They may be as tall as we can justify. One bonus of our stubbies is that, unlike some second tier cities that have a trophy tower surrounded by not much, we have managed to achieve a good amount of density.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 4