Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

14 minutes ago, codypet said:

Noone seems to think of Orlando as a normal city.  Or even a nice city it seems.

I saw that on Saturday.

That's not even the first time SNL has poked fun at Orlando.

In one episode from 1987,  Steve Martin was the host and Sting was the musical guest.

They did a skit called "Bullets Aren't Cheap",  a James Bond parody in which Bond was a penny pinching tightwad with his own money. 

They mention our fair city at just past the 6:00 mark.

It's funny enough to watch the entire thing, though.

:shades: 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, codypet said:

Noone seems to think of Orlando as a normal city.  Or even a nice city it seems.

It doesn’t help we let our downtown turn into a pit. Nevertheless, given the number of folks who think I-Drive IS our downtown, it’s not surprising (and Darth Crotty, Harris Rosen, et al did their darndest to make it so).

Neverheless, WP did make it in to the Preppy Handbook and Andres Duany noted the city in his book on New Urbanism. WG also has gotten great press lately. In the Mayor Bill era Orlando was all the rage for Reinventing Government and restoring downtown, then in the Mayor Glenda era we got noticed for our brief foray in the music scene. Now we’re known for… the highest number of AARP members on the city council. It’s back to the Carl Langford days when he made 60 Minutes for declaring Orlando a “distressed” area to nab federal grants. Stagnation will never be a good look for us.

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It doesn’t help we let our downtown turn into a pit. Nevertheless, given the number of folks who think I-Drive IS our downtown, it’s not surprising (and Darth Crotty, Harris Rosen, et al did their darndest to make it so).

Neverheless, WP did make it in to the Preppy Handbook and Andres Duany noted the city in his book on New Urbanism. WG also has gotten great press lately. In the Mayor Bill era Orlando was all the rage for Reinventing Government and restoring downtown, then in the Mayor Glenda era we got noticed for our brief foray in the music scene. Now we’re known for… the highest number of AARP members on the city council. It’s back to the Carl Langford days when he made 60 Minutes for declaring Orlando a “distressed” area to nab federal grants. Stagnation will never be a good look for us.

And yet, in 1987, at the height of the St. Frederick era, as amazing and hip as Orlando supposedly was, Steve Martin still saw fit to make a joke out of us on the most popular late night comedy show in history.

I seem to recall how in the St. Frederick era, one could walk down Orange Ave on a Friday night and actually, no exaggeration, hear crickets chirping.

Maybe we weren't as "all that" under St. Frederick as some like to suggest we were.  

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Should at least give them credit for using a photo of the actual downtown from the last 5 years.  Unfortunately that was the middle of the I-4 ultimate project and that new shot had the new Suntrust building going up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, codypet said:

Should at least give them credit for using a photo of the actual downtown from the last 5 years.  Unfortunately that was the middle of the I-4 ultimate project and that new shot had the new Suntrust building going up.

The writers probably told someone in the graphics dept... "Find us the scruffiest, shabbiest looking picture of Orlando that you can!!!!"    

Screenshot-20221102-170148-2.jpg

On 11/2/2022 at 1:51 PM, JFW657 said:

I saw that on Saturday.

That's not even the first time SNL has poked fun at Orlando.

In one episode from 1987,  Steve Martin was the host and Sting was the musical guest.

They did a skit called "Bullets Aren't Cheap",  a James Bond parody in which Bond was a penny pinching tightwad with his own money. 

They mention our fair city at just past the 6:00 mark.

It's funny enough to watch the entire thing, though.

:shades: 

they show footage of BART and they make like it's the Orient Express.  Classic.  SNL is and always has been awesome.

LOL.  Sting/ Goldfinger/Dr. No is holding his white bunny rabbit.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:48 AM, orange87 said:

In a "normal" city, the 28-story tower would have been the shorter of the two towers. The other one should be around 40 stories.

Ding ding ding!  I agreed with you on something!

18 hours ago, F-L-A said:

If you want to find a bad photo of Orlando, you could certainly do a better job than that. What does any of this have to do with Society though? :huh:

"normal city" reference...

18 hours ago, F-L-A said:

If you want to find a bad photo of Orlando, you could certainly do a better job than that. 

That one probably had certain elements they liked better than some others they might have found.

Those cranes sticking up off of an unfinished building, the interstate in a semi complete, torn up looking state.

And of course, our snaggled, gap-toothed, unimpressive skyline made the visual effect complete. 

13 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

That one probably had certain elements they liked better than some others they might have found.

Those cranes sticking up off of an unfinished building, the interstate in a semi complete, torn up looking state.

And of course, our snaggled, gap-toothed, unimpressive skyline made the visual effect complete. 

snaggletooth-1210.jpg

I was telling a friend about the Basquiat scandal, and he snidely quipped, “Orlando has an arts museum?” If your only experience with Orlando is the “hellscape” of travelling from the airport to any of the convention hotels, you’d probably feel the same. It’s a common sentiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jliv said:

I was telling a friend about the Basquiat scandal, and he snidely quipped, “Orlando has an arts museum?” If your only experience with Orlando is the “hellscape” of travelling from the airport to any of the convention hotels, you’d probably feel the same. It’s a common sentiment.

Typical of the way people always look at towns known for things like tourism and entertainment, etc.

Los Angeles used to have jokes made about it back in the 60's, 70's and even into the 80's.

The nickname "Tinsel Town" was not originally coined as a term of endearment or respect.

It was dismissive.

Orlando has a long way to go before it starts to gain respect from the rest of the country.  

Doesn't mean we cant't enjoy living here. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2022 at 7:10 PM, jliv said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is OMA part of any museum "network" around the country or world?  I assume it must be, right?

On 11/11/2022 at 4:51 PM, smileguy said:

OMA is member of SERM, NARM and ROAM reciprocal agreements, allowing members access to over a thousand other institutions.  That's why I keep my membership.

that's huge.  and this is what gives them the traveling exhibits, right?

21 hours ago, jrs2 said:

that's huge.  and this is what gives them the traveling exhibits, right?

It's not -- its what allows me to go to other museums in other cities for free. 

It's really a smaller budget institution trying to hit above its weight.  They had to cancel a large exhibition of Spanish art a few years ago, with works by Goya and El Greco - valued at $1 billion - because they couldn't afford to underwrite the insurance needed to present the show.   It takes a lot of money and visitation to keep a museum going,  and they struggle with that.  Just the maintenance of the aging facilities and collection are expensive, and get due priority over bigger shows.

I don't know if this article from January was ever posted, but it has a bunch of aerial shots that give a good perspective of the project and the tract where Phase Two is supposed to go.  Check it out.

https://floridayimby.com/2022/01/society-orlandos-concrete-superstructure-continues-vertical-ascent-in-downtown-orlando.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...