Jernigan

X Orlando | Three-tower Residential [Proposed]

Recommended Posts

The conversation on retail is kinda intriguing to me, perhaps we need a specific thread for that (unless we already do)

The point I wanted to make on retail - retail downtown is probably unlikely to ever happen at any sort of scale.  Retail is in HUGE trouble and the large retailers that remain are largely in huge debt and face declining numbers every year.  

I’m sure we will get some retail as our downtown population grows but anyone waiting for a return of the 90s is likely to be pretty disappointed. I think the conversation needs to evolve to what a downtown should focus on if retail is unlikely to work going forward. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


54 minutes ago, leondecollao said:

The conversation on retail is kinda intriguing to me, perhaps we need a specific thread for that (unless we already do)

The point I wanted to make on retail - retail downtown is probably unlikely to ever happen at any sort of scale.  Retail is in HUGE trouble and the large retailers that remain are largely in huge debt and face declining numbers every year.  

I’m sure we will get some retail as our downtown population grows but anyone waiting for a return of the 90s is likely to be pretty disappointed. I think the conversation needs to evolve to what a downtown should focus on if retail is unlikely to work going forward. 

Didn't someone just say yesterday that Millenia is one of the highest-grossing malls in the nation?  

Which it is -  due to the tourists.

While I agree that retail is struggling, shoppers will turn out at the right spots. Many downtowns have thriving shopping districts. I recall lines just getting into Apple Stores and Pandora and Burberry and etc.  

Is it possible downtown Orlando is just not that desirable as a shopping area? 

I've said it before...downtown is a total afterthought in the showdown of the atttactions.  That is our city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Retails will only work if it is created en mass. It is not going to open store by store on their own.

For example in a smaller scale, Mary Brickell Village...

We need to have a capable retails director to get them downtown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, it's important to note in the midst of the retail apocalypse that there are bright spots.

While chains like Sears, Kmart, Toys R Us, Bon Ton and Winn Dixie are hemorrhaging (often because of debt overloads and other financial chicanery), others are prospering.

Stores like Dollar General, TJ Maxx and yes Target are expanding (Target's concentrating on its new smaller format especially near college campuses.) Let's not forget that Amazon's Whole Foods and other possible formats will likely expand as well (in talking with folks at UCF, they're particularly interested in that possibility.)

It'S also important to know that someone will fill the vacuum as thousands of downtown residents have moved in and it's reasonable to expect many thousands more.

We're not talking another Millennia but there's definitely a prospect for more general merchandisers and specialty food stores.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Retails will only work if it is created en mass. It is not going to open store by store on their own.

For example in a smaller scale, Mary Brickell Village...

We need to have a capable retails director to get them downtown.

That is an interesting idea.  

I'd prefer boutique-style retail rather than big box.

Like Ivanhoe Village but on a much larger scale. 

People here are far too dependent on national chains. Many areas elsewhere don't allow them at all (or severely restrict them).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

That is an interesting idea.  

I'd prefer boutique-style retail rather than big box.

Like Ivanhoe Village but on a much larger scale. 

People here are far too dependent on national chains. Many areas elsewhere don't allow them at all (or severely restrict them).

You'd like Park Ave in Winter Park - check it out!

(One of the few retail streets in America with a consistently 0% vacancy rate)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A grocer would be a great asset to that area.

Would be great to have some shopping downtown. Every day I have some group of tourists ask where they can shop in the area and I have to tell them we don't really have that here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love a Miller's Hardware downtown (they certainly have successfully catered to college kids for 75 years at Rollins.)

Interestingly, they're opening their second store in Casselberry this year ("Spud! I'm a chain!") - their first venture outside WP.

For years, they really weren't interested in another location but maybe a new generation of the family is more ambitious. I had asked about a location in downtown O-town at one point and was told it was too expensive. Hopefully, the city might mitigate that or as CV veers toward Parramore maybe more options will open up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A market place such as Plant Street market / Milwaukee Public Market would work in the OC history center if the city would do it.  Get rid of all those bars at Wall Street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Actually, it's important to note in the midst of the retail apocalypse that there are bright spots.

While chains like Sears, Kmart, Toys R Us, Bon Ton and Winn Dixie are hemorrhaging (often because of debt overloads and other financial chicanery), others are prospering.

Stores like Dollar General, TJ Maxx and yes Target are expanding (Target's concentrating on its new smaller format especially near college campuses.) Let's not forget that Amazon's Whole Foods and other possible formats will likely expand as well (in talking with folks at UCF, they're particularly interested in that possibility.)

It'S also important to know that someone will fill the vacuum as thousands of downtown residents have moved in and it's reasonable to expect many thousands more.

We're not talking another Millennia but there's definitely a prospect for more general merchandisers and specialty food stores.

Downtown Charlotte is getting a Whole Foods, a Publix and reportedly a Target and something like an Apple store, that kind of stuff is envisioned as prospering.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sunshine said:

A market place such as Plant Street market / Milwaukee Public Market would work in the OC history center if the city would do it.  Get rid of all those bars at Wall Street.

Yes yes yes. 

I agree it would work well.  It fits the demographic and fills a need. 

I was so excited to visit the new food-hall downtown the other day.  I finally got there and it was tiny.  I was so disappointed.  (It really shouldn't be called a food hall.) 

But a market like Plant Street that with specialty shops and a sit-down eating area would be a real draw.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I'd love a Miller's Hardware downtown (they certainly have successfully catered to college kids for 75 years at Rollins.)

Interestingly, they're opening their second store in Casselberry this year ("Spud! I'm a chain!") - their first venture outside WP.

For years, they really weren't interested in another location but maybe a new generation of the family is more ambitious. I had asked about a location in downtown O-town at one point and was told it was too expensive. Hopefully, the city might mitigate that or as CV veers toward Parramore maybe more options will open up.

Toole's have been expanding and seem to have found their niche.  Just far enough from the mega hardware stores and cater to the people who need something quick or don't want to deal with a Home Depot.   FYI Toole's didn't get the old Winn Dixie spot on Bumby so they're taking over the Southern Vacuum spot adjacent to their store.  Southern Vacuum moved to the old Boost Mobile spot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly, Ace Hardware is back with Laura Ingraham again. I'll have to try and ignore the franchise and go with the owner like I do at the Colonial Plaza Chick-Fil-A (whose owners are gay- go figure.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

Sadly, Ace Hardware is back with Laura Ingraham again. I'll have to try and ignore the franchise and go with the owner like I do at the Colonial Plaza Chick-Fil-A (whose owners are gay- go figure.)

Maybe reverse psychology. The Hogg-cott has gun sales and NRA memberships going through the roof.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dale said:

Maybe reverse psychology. The Hogg-cott has gun sales and NRA memberships going through the roof.

Boycotts are indeed often unpredictable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sunshine said:

A market place such as Plant Street market / Milwaukee Public Market would work in the OC history center if the city would do it.  Get rid of all those bars at Wall Street.

What?  Why would we get rid of the most thriving section of bars we have?  Which is host to an event practically every weekend?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AndyPok1 said:

What?  Why would we get rid of the most thriving section of bars we have?  Which is host to an event practically every weekend?

I KNEW that was coming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spenser1058 said:

I KNEW that was coming. 

I've never claimed to not be predictable!  (Full disclosure, I rarely go to Wall Street, but it fills a demographic niche.)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

What?  Why would we get rid of the most thriving section of bars we have?  Which is host to an event practically every weekend?

Agreed.  I didn't see that part of the post.  Love the idea of a Plant Street-style market downtown.  But not the idea of replacing those bars.  Plenty of room elsewhere downtown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had gotten almost to a finished lease for a 15k sqft food hall concept somewhere downtown last year. Couldn't come to terms on a few things that were vital for us and the city wasn't sure what to do with the 2 story fire plan. Sucks because the space would have worked great for it and our architect was coming up with some cool stuff. We expected to have 10-12 vendors, 5 of them were going to be run by us at minimum. Maybe this building will be a good spot for us to bring it back to life.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I had gotten almost to a finished lease for a 15k sqft food hall concept somewhere downtown last year. Couldn't come to terms on a few things that were vital for us and the city wasn't sure what to do with the 2 story fire plan. Sucks because the space would have worked great for it and our architect was coming up with some cool stuff. We expected to have 10-12 vendors, 5 of them were going to be run by us at minimum. Maybe this building will be a good spot for us to bring it back to life.

That makes me SO SAD to hear. I want something like that for Orlando so badly. 

Market on Magnolia - though small - always seems busy. If the vendors are good, the people will come. 

Are there really no good spots DT for something like this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.