Society | 28- & 17-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

15 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I would imagine that if it gets built, they'll be changing the flag throughout the year, based on which sports season it is.

Football season would bring a flag with the Texans' team logo. Basketball season would see the Rockets' logo. Baseball season - the Astros. The 'Murican flag would probably be reserved for the 4th of July, Veteran's Day, Memorial Day etc. 

as big as that flag is, I think that video screen in Jerry's World is bigger.  But the fact that it's in Texas is intriguing; because of Texas' history of being The Lone Star...  

I type too much.  I'm burning out...

• 1 month later...

To the best of my knowledge nothing is currently happening.  I have a friend that is way down the sub-chain on this project and he said last week that everything they were told was happening on day XX hasn't started yet.

Typical pre-construction stuff.  He said the dates seemed to be pushing further back at this time. 

I have no idea if that has anything to do with the Crescent Station stuff mentioned earlier in this thread.

In other words, I don't think ANYTHING is happening at this time.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

To the best of my knowledge nothing is currently happening.  I have a friend that is way down the sub-chain on this project and he said last week that everything they were told was happening on day XX hasn't started yet.

Typical pre-construction stuff.  He said the dates seemed to be pushing further back at this time. 

I have no idea if that has anything to do with the Crescent Station stuff mentioned earlier in this thread.

In other words, I don't think ANYTHING is happening at this time.

Yeah, I guess that was what I was getting at, the legal hassle or something else.

I do know that for all the developer's "can do" reputation ... they've had hiccups in Miami and FTL.

Edited by Dale
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think Livingston (from Rosalind to Paramore) will be the bomb.  Radiius, Hampton Inn, X-Orlando, UCF Commons, UCF Student Housing (with Prism and Mill Creek) within a half block.  Then there's the existing Courthouse, Sky Tower, BOA and Marriott.  IMO, Livingston is the natural front face for this one.  Not sure if there is a way for x-Orlando to do something with SunRail similar to CSP,  but some welcoming face to the station is warranted .

Regarding UCF and night life, I can envision more main-campus students making the trek to this area.  Lynx bus 13 should expand hours .... and not just for students using the main-campus library.  Ace Cafe should get on the ball with phase II, including Oklahoma Joe's BBQ 

Edited by cwetteland
  • Like 3

Agree about Livingston!  Also connected by bus lanes and green bike lanes.

UCF will be running shuttles - not sure how late but they’ll be taking 408 so Link 13/104 that take an hour each are non-starters.   “Hey I wanted to go downtown, why are we getting a tour of the VA?!”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cwetteland said:

... Slightly off topic but close by:  What's everyone's opinion regarding Southeast Steel?  Almost time? Treasured Landmark?

Don't be messin' with Southeast Steel - they rock! Not only are they and LaBelle Furs the retailers that stuck it out downtown when everyone else abandoned ship, it's also a great place to buy appliances.

Along with Palmer Feed Store on W. Church St., those are the places that help downtown keep its authenticity. Orlando is always accused of being a plasticky, ersatz, Stepford/Truman Show kind of place. This is where we get back to our roots.

And, I'll get in trouble for going afield here, but it's also why I think Enzian is so great right where it is. Although Jordan's Grove, the restaurant in the old house on the property, is long gone, I adored the idea of a great dinner, a unique movie and a stroll around the tree-lined grounds when I first moved back to Orlando in the  '80's. That was something unique to us and it was just a few minutes out of town.

There is not a single model that has to be followed to be successful as a city. Atlanta's High Museum, for example, is not downtown but up in midtown  (along with the symphony,botanical gardens and local theater); Nashville's art museums include installations at the Parthenon (on the West End by Vandy) and, even further out past Belle Meade, Cheekwood, on the grounds of the Maxwell House fortune estate.

Florida's arguably greatest art museum, the Ringling, is not in downtown Sarasota but out of town on the Ringling Estate.

There's certainly room for another indy cinema downtown (especially now that Enzian's not expanding: btw, they toyed with a second location a few years back), I think, and I'd welcome it, but I have to admit I'm not sure where the rule is that everything HAS to be Downtown. Back to Southeast Steel, I also don't know why we can't keep our quirky icons after they've gotten a bit tattered. Like the crazy aunt in the attic, they make life interesting.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Most cities have been getting better about requiring the garages to be hidden behind some kind of useful space, Modera Midtown Atlanta for example.  If there's some kind of use like apartment units hiding the garage on at least two sides of the building, then I don't really mind the pedestals too much.  Disappointed that the ARB didn't require that for this project, especially since their initial submittal included the units facing Orange.

• Like 1

Phase 1 is 17 stories with 262 Units.  251 ft.

Phase 2 is 25 stories with 266 Units.  331 ft.

Phase 3 is 24 stories with 361 Units.  310ft.

All on top of 9 level garage.

Central Station Crescent is 6 stories 276 Units for comparison.

As with many projects in Orlando. I Dont have any trust all 3 phases happen. Would be nice though.

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
  • Like 1