Cool Stuff in Other Cities

Hyperloop is a go.

Hyperloop Transportation Technology struck a deal today to build the world's first commercial Hyperloop system.  It will be built between Abu Dhabi, UAE and Dubai.  It will eventually be expanded to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. 

The first segment will be completed by 2020.  That is 2 years away! 

Hyperloop TT has been rapidly developing its technology.  Prototyping and testing has already been completed.  They were successful.  A full-scale prototype is currently under construction in France. 

The Pittsburgh Intl. Airport and Carnegie Mellon University agreed to partner today.  Together, they will create an Airport Innovation Laboratory to develop new technologies to make air travel easier.

I think the idea is totally out-of-the-box.  

It uses one of Pittsburgh's greatest assets and attempts to expand upon it. 

I don't see why OIA and UCF couldn't have thought of this idea first. 

It's a missed opportunity.

Are there other innovative ideas that Orlando can use to build-upon its strengths?  

Just because I know the tall crowd will drool all over themselves when they see this, here's a look at the 50-plus story Riverwalk Place in Tampa which is about to get under way:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/realestate/Here-s-your-first-look-at-what-will-be-Riverwalk-Place-Tampa-s-tallest-tower_167475609

From the St Pete Times

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Just because I know the tall crowd will drool all over themselves when they see this, here's a look at the 50-plus story Riverwalk Place in Tampa which is about to get under way:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/realestate/Here-s-your-first-look-at-what-will-be-Riverwalk-Place-Tampa-s-tallest-tower_167475609

From the St Pete Times

This is one of the better looking highrise proposals in the state (Gensler is responsible for many of the buildings u/c DTLA; this seems to follow that design aesthetic) and it seems like they are making a genuine effort to patch together the Riverwalk. That said, the giant parking podium is disappointing. 

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

More on what Jeff Vinik has underway in downtown Tampa/Channelside from the St Pete Times:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/realestate/Work-starting-on-JW-Marriott-but-Water-Street-Tampa-expects-to-have-10-buildings-under-way-within-a-year_167592624

With the ready supply of resources, perhaps this is what finally makes downtown Tampa click.

If you notice, however, they're currently behind us when it comes to living there. Key example: it notes the Channelside theaters closed while our Plaza Cinema Cafe has thrived (despite the parking garage from Hades!) It's interesting to ponder why that is and whether all the new development will remedy it.

31 minutes ago, orlandouprise said:

This thread is depressing. Lol   I hate seeing what we are NOT getting. its like going to a candy shop as a kid...pressing your face against the window...drooling at all the candy and you not being able to go in. lol

Whatever you do, don't watch this video.

:cry:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Other than Grand Central, not much about Miami is appealing to me.  Sure they have big buildings, but having been to Miami many times, I would much rather live in Orlando. 

I'd rather live here too, but in terms of big city amenities, Orlando really does lag far behind Miami. 

Their cruise port is within eyeball distance of downtown, their beach is just a short hop across the causeway and when you get there, it's a cool place with amazing architecture and a ton of things to do.

17 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I'd rather live here too, but in terms of big city amenities, Orlando really does lag far behind Miami. 

Their cruise port is within eyeball distance of downtown, their beach is just a short hop across the causeway and when you get there, it's a cool place with amazing architecture and a ton of things to do.

Born & raised in Miami, there is a reason a rarely go back. The building are cool but other than that, meh. There's some cool areas popping up now of course, Wynwood, Midtown, Brickell is nice if you have $$. I like the Grove. 

I never got the appeal of Miami. The people are rude and think they're hot stuff and everything is overly expensive. Just doesn't do it for me. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Born & raised in Miami, there is a reason a rarely go back. The building are cool but other than that, meh. There's some cool areas popping up now of course, Wynwood, Midtown, Brickell is nice if you have $$. I like the Grove. 

I never got the appeal of Miami. The people are rude and think they're hot stuff and everything is overly expensive. Just doesn't do it for me. 

Hence the old adage "Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there". ;)

Pretty much like most big cities. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orlandouprise said:

apples to apples boys...yes the people generally suck and Orlandoans are MUCH nicer, but we are talking urban fabric. Day and night, no comparison IMO

This video has me on the ledge...ready to jump...lol

I'd honestly rather walk around S. Eola and DT Orlando than anywhere in Miami. Not anywhere in the US by any means but definitely more than Miami. 

On 4/27/2018 at 9:53 PM, bqknight said:

I'd honestly rather walk around S. Eola and DT Orlando than anywhere in Miami. Not anywhere in the US by any means but definitely more than Miami. 

I'd like to be able to hop on a Miami-style Metro Rail out by UCF or down on I-DRIVE and ride it into downtown Orlando in order to walk around Lake Eola.

I'd also like to have something like Brickell City Center where Central Station is rather than a five story building next to an empty lot.

6 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I'd like to be able to hop on a Miami-style Metro Rail out by UCF or down on I-DRIVE and ride it into downtown Orlando in order to walk around Lake Eola.

I'd also like to have something like Brickell City Center where Central Station is rather than a five story building next to an empty lot.

The thing is Metrorail actually doesn't go to a lot of the city either. The nearest station was 15-20 minutes from my house in a car. I used it maybe once a year for a NYE event. 

3 hours ago, bqknight said:

The thing is Metrorail actually doesn't go to a lot of the city either. The nearest station was 15-20 minutes from my house in a car. I used it maybe once a year for a NYE event. 

This.  It's most convenient for University students, but even then that's a stretch.  It only really goes to Dadeland Mall, Brickel, UMiami Gables campus, UMiami medical campus, and the airport.  It doesn't go to the Grove, the Beach, the museums, Wynwood, the Design District, etc.  Sure its better than nothing, but you shouldn't try to compare it to cities of comparable size and hope to succeed.

• 3 weeks later...

Innovative art installation at the top of the Salesforce Tower - 1,100 feet high.   For nightly display starting tonight. 

At dusk, 11k LED lights will display soft, sunset-colored graphics.  From dusk to midnight, they will display "Day for Night" (a show featuring silhouetted dancers).  After midnight, they will display constellations of stars.  

The art installation can be seen from 30 miles away and was designed by an "electronic artist."  

• Like 3

A pretty comprehensive update on urban projects happening in the older core areas from our friends at Metro Jacksonville. 

I particularly like the idea of a pedestrian/cyclist bridge crossing the St Johns from San Marco to Riverside. Riverside was one of the earliest historic neighborhoods in the South to begin the long process of restoration and redevelopment.

https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2018-may-urban-construction-update-may-2018

5 hours ago, tennis32801 said:

Visiting Austin for memorial wknd, and all I can say is WOW!. The energy, cool districts, architecture, downtown, and skyline (esp at night) blew me away. It really looked like a world class city. Orlando really needs to step up their game.

Surely you took pictures...