Cool Stuff in Other Cities

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, orlandouprise said:

ANY chance Orlando swoops in and steals the Rays from Tampa Bay?

It is theoretically possible but unlikely because:

(1) MLB has already got other cities in line ahead of us;

(2) Orlando currently has no viable plan for baseball and it takes time to develop one (look at how long it’s been discussed in Tampa/St. Pete;)

(3) There’s also the question of funding and that would take a huge effort to get the tourist corridor in sync with the downtown crowd again just as both groups are transitioning leaders.

It’s definitely a “stay tuned” at this point - I look for one side of the Bay or the other to figure something out. Keep in mind Tampa has a mayoral election coming up in a couple of months and the incumbent is not running.

Edited by spenser1058

The Tampa Bay Partnership released their 2018 Regional Competitiveness report, comparing the region to other similar regions, of which Orlando is one. Some fascinating stuff in there from Tampa's perspective, but also with respect to Orlando/Central Florida. 

Of note, Orlando ranks highest in job growth and business starts among the compared regions, but dead last in wages and household net worth. 

https://www.tampabay.org/research/regional-competitiveness-report

There is a ton of good stuff in this report! 

Theme park/hospitality/entertainment/service based economy instead of higher paying industries like technology, engineering, and finance. 

Additionally, article came out today showing that Orlando has the fastest rising rents in the country at 4.4%, far outpacing inflation and wage growth. https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-rising-rents-orlando-20181219-story.html

Not a good combination. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Theme park/hospitality/entertainment/service based economy instead of higher paying industries like technology, engineering, and finance. 

Additionally, article came out today showing that Orlando has the fastest rising rents in the country at 4.4%, far outpacing inflation and wage growth. https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-rising-rents-orlando-20181219-story.html

Not a good combination. 

Recipe for a crisis. 

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, Mr_Bond said:

From the Nashville UP community, a very merry Christmas to all of you Orlando UP-ers!

super random, but I just went on my first road trip last wekk, stepping to another state out of FL for the first time and had the time to visit Chattanooga and Nashville and I'm in love with TN now . Merry Xmax to yall as well !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, W7edwin said:

super random, but I just went on my first road trip last wekk, stepping to another state out of FL for the first time and had the time to visit Chattanooga and Nashville and I'm in love with TN now . Merry Xmax to yall as well !

And I was in Orlando and Tampa last week!  Next time you're headed to Nashville, say hello on one of our threads and the gang will roll out the red carpet for you.  Merry Christmas!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Stayed overnight in Chattanooga once. 

Saw a Jackson Browne concert at the UTC Roundhouse.

Were it not for Tennessee’s politics lurching to the right in the last 10-15 years, I had always envisioned retiring there. For a small city, they’re punching way above their league with accomplishments. The fact that Shopping Is Now A Pleasure there only added to the appeal.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Were it not for Tennessee’s politics lurching to the right in the last 10-15 years, I had always envisioned retiring there. For a small city, they’re punching way above their league with accomplishments. The fact that Shopping Is Now A Pleasure There only added to the appeal.

It wasn't much to write home about back in '83 when I was there. Typical gritty-looking little southern city. I'm sure it's vastly improved over the years. 

I assume your last reference was to Publix? ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

It wasn't much to write home about back in '83 when I was there. Typical gritty-looking little southern city. I'm sure it's vastly improved over the years. 

I assume your last reference was to Publix? ;)

Indeed - Knoxville, ‘Nooga and Nashville all have Publii now and they’re working their way up toward the Tri-Cities.

In ‘83 one of the tallest buildings in town would have been Krystal headquarters (“maybe it’s them little cooked onions”).

Edited by spenser1058

22 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Chattanooga was also listed as one of the top cities for outdoor activities, although having been there recently, I would say Asheville/Hendersonvilla/Greenville areas would be higher on my list. Of course, your cost of living is way higher there too. 

Higher cost of living in Hendersonville ? Scant few years ago it was derided (I believe on this site) as a haven for old trogoladyte conservatives. Maybe it’s caught fire of late.

47 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Chattanooga was also listed as one of the top cities for outdoor activities, although having been there recently, I would say Asheville/Hendersonvilla/Greenville areas would be higher on my list. Of course, your cost of living is way higher there too. 

Asheville is another of my favorite cities. The thing about ‘Nooga over Asheville is that the Chat has a more well-rounded economy. Asheville mostly only works if you’re retired or can be self-employed. TN also has the bonus of no state income tax (at least not for wage earners) for all the ax the tax folks.

Edited by spenser1058