Cool Stuff in Other Cities

Austin was selected for the new Army Futures Command.  The Command will serve as the Army's first-ever tech & innovation center.  The Command will employ 500 engineers and analysts.  They will work on artificial-intelligence, robotics, machine learning, autonomous vehicles/weaponry, and drone warfare. 

Austin also expects the Command will add thousands of related, private-sector jobs.  

This was a big, big deal.  

Edited by I am Reality

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:13 PM, JFW657 said:

The one in Los Angeles is going where the L.A. River is. Ever see the L.A. River? It's a giant concrete ditch that rarely has any water in it. People use it to drag race in. The others are also expanding into unused land or derelict industrial areas. Some are the similar to what Orlando has planned for beneath I-4.

I find this comparison especially ironic.  LA is a city vastly underserved by public park space per its population density.  And no, fellow forumer who I wish to not name, do not casually throw out there that Griffith Park and Runyon Canyon serve the residents of LA  - it doesn't do anymore for LA than Moss Park and Wekiva Springs do for Orlando.  In fact, residents of the Hollywood Hills have been very successful in making it even more difficult to access these areas with the recent closure of the Beachwood Canyon access point .  There are well documented socioeconomic issues in LA that have created major issues with large parts of LA getting to any acceptable park space.

Any "google" search on the subject would have helped to educate him.

Further, the LA River project is moving at a snails pace.  The money the Feds are "throwing in" is for the 6th Street bridge replacement and necessary infrastructure repairs.  It'll be a concrete hell for years to come (but hey, its still pretty cool to look at).

Edited by prahaboheme

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, spenser1058 said:

For the last few months, I've watched one of the more pleasant online oases become the "I Hate Orlando" room. Since I am rather fond of The City Beautiful, and yes Central Florida, this is obviously no longer the venue for me.

That seems especially true since our Moderator's only suggestion when it was noted a room previously given to celebrating our successes and constructively proposing ways to improve was being torn to pieces was to point out there are other places to post. 

Accordingly, I am taking Neo's advice and leaving. Perhaps I can wake up the dead at SSC or follow in the footsteps of metrojacksonville.com. When its founder found himself unwelcome on another forum, he started his own. I have to say I love the wide variety of topics and there is much to emulate. I don't have the web experience to do it, but perhaps those are skills it might be fun to acquire.

For now, let me say I've enjoyed posting back and forth with all of you these last twelve years with the exception of one who spurs my desire to leave. Whether we've agreed or not, I've learned much. Let me just say "Oh, Thank Heaven!" one last time and I hope to see all of you (except one) elsewhere on the web.

It's truly a shame.  I sent the moderator a private email requesting that this be handled.  I did not receive a response.  Perhaps it is time for those of us with an investment in Orlando, a fondness for it, and in interest in civil discourse, to finally create our own metrojackonsville and leave this behind.  I remember when the founder of metrojacksonville was banned from this site - he was then and continues to be one of the most knowledgeable forumers on Florida across the web.  His contributions to metrojacksonville, many of which are dedicated to Orlando, continue to impress me today.

• Like 1

Primark, the latest European retailer to head Stateside, has arrived in NYC. It has H&M's sense of fast fashion but at lower prices.

It would seem to be a good match for Orlando's demographics. Where might be a good place for them to locate?

https://amp.businessinsider.com/hm-competitor-primark-opens-store-in-brooklyn-photos-2018-7

From Business Insider

On 7/3/2018 at 5:13 PM, Dale said:

Marvelous setting. Orlando could use some mountains and a harbor. But at least it has sunshine.

Disney has been working to correct those issues lots of mountains under construction now. And Orlando did get its first volcano last year as well.

:tw_joy::tw_lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cool idea for mall space:

A New Jersey mall is adding a large tech accelerator.

The odd part . .. the mall is already successful.  It already has a Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor, Urban Outfitters, Hugo Boss, and North Face. 

If it can be done in there, it can be done here. Cheaper.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/c3b3e623-3f14-4267-9212-e44c65cdb767

Nationwide study re: housing/rental prices in urban cores v. suburbs.  

Orlando seems to be middle-of-the-pack, meaning its urban core is not too expensive compared to its suburbs.  Some cities have more expensive suburbs than their urban cores. 

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/boston-and-seattle-top-zillows-list-of-places-where-it-pays-to-move-farther-out-300685284.html

Channelside Bay Plaza in Tampa is getting a do-over as Sparkman Wharf. It's interesting that, whereas our downtown movie theaters have prospered (despite the bizarre parking garage!), Tampa's throwing in the towel and trying something else. With megamoguls Jeff Vinik and Bill Gates on the case, perhaps this time will be the charm.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/realestate/Channelside-Bay-Plaza-to-be-remade-as-Sparkman-Wharf-with-waterfront-lawn-beer-garden-outdoor-dining-and-loft-style-offices_170322184?template=amp

From the St. Pete Times

Ever wonder how elevators are tested? 

Thyssenkrupp is building a new Innovation Center in Atlanta.  The main building is 423 feet tall.  It will have 18 elevator shafts to test new designs.

Elevator designs are rapidly changing, driven by taller, state-of-the-art buildings in Asia.

The new North American HQ will also employ 900 workers.

IMG_0847.JPG

Edited by I am Reality
  • Like 2

After Dillard's bought Ivey's department stores from BATUS Retail in 1990, they promptly closed the flagship store in Uptown Charlotte. I knew some of the great 1920's building had been converted to condos but I did not know some floors have now become the Ivey's Hotel.

The link for us is that Ivey's was also downtown Orlando's flagship department store since 1944 (when they took over from previous owner Yowell-Drew) until the chain closed it in 1976.

The building still stands at 1 S. Orange Ave., and is woefully underutilized. If only our Ivey's could become a hotel/condo as well one day. (One of my first jobs after high school was at Ivey's.)

http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article141556759.html

From the Charlotte Observer

Proposed supertall development in Miami - SkyRise Miami, a "Vertical Entertainment Center" on Biscayne Bay

1k feet

Observation decks

Family attractions 

Extreme sports, including a 650 feet free-fall ride

Nightclub 

Luxury restaurant 

After some delay, construction expected soon. 

http://skyrisemiami.com/

Skyrise .jpg

Skyrise 3.jpg

Developers have secured financing to begin One Manhattan West, the largest of proposed buildings at the Manhattan West project.

E&Y has already pre-leased a large portion of the building.  

When complete, the entire project will have   7 million square feet of space, parkland, and a large events plaza.  It is located at the foot of the High Line.

http://www.manhattanwestnyc.com/

IMG_0856.JPG

Edited by I am Reality

• 2 weeks later...