I am Reality

Cool Stuff in Other Cities

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

Agree with most of the points in this article. Bringing this back to Orlando, with an opportunity to create a world class “underline” beneath I-4 through downtown, I’ve seen nothing but mediocre ideas about how this area can be used.

There’s that word again. It was said about the Magic and I was chastised for bringing “politics” into it. I’m not sure how it’s political to note almost everything about downtown these days is mediocre and that all flows from a political source in a strong-mayor town. This is exactly what a solid majority of  the 9% of Orlando voters asked for last November, to continue the mediocrity.

Let us revel in it, shall we?

Edited by spenser1058

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

There’s that word again. It was said about the Magic and I was chastised for bringing “politics” into it. I’m not sure how it’s political to note almost everything about downtown these days is mediocre and that all flows from a political source in a strong-mayor town. This is exactly what a solid majority of  the 9% of Orlando voters asked for last November, to continue the mediocrity.

Let us revel in it, shall we?

BUDDY DYER HE'S OUR MAN!!!

animated-cheerleader-image-0031.gif

IF HE CAN'T DO IT, NO ONE CAN!!!

source.gif

Go Buddy - Go Buddy - Go Buddy - Go Buddy..... 

Fans of mid-century modern architecture will love these shots from Jacksonville. There’s even a brise or two for @HankStrong!

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/ten-examples-of-mid-century-modern-in-jacksonville

From The Jaxson

The former Gulf Life tower on the Southbank is still my favorite highrise. Interestingly, architects Welton Becket & Associates also designed Disney’s Contemporary Resort just afterward.

It’s also interesting to compare the very different approaches taken between the former Haydon Burns library in downtown Jax and the brutalist Orlando Public Library (just the section on the southeast corner was included in the initial building). Both were built about the same time.

Edited by spenser1058

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Looking to other cities to see how restoring Parramore might work a lot better from the bottom up than it has from the top down:

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/gentrification-vs-withintrification-in-jacksonville

From The Jaxson 

Good read. How do you see that playing out in Parramore? I see one of the big problems is that there is currently only about 8% owner occupied houses in the neighborhood. As I previously mentioned, the City is building new homes and basically paying qualified buyers with ties to Parramore to buy them. I know they also have a lot of locals working on the Parramore vision plan. What else do you think would be useful?

Jacksonville, probably the major Florida city most resistant to change in the past, truly is living up to its nickname “The Bold New City of the South” (interestingly, that post-consolidation moniker itself has more recently become, “Where Florida Begins”, as the city left some of its Southern heritage behind as it chooses to associate instead with the hipster folks further south).

Anyway, the city’s major downtown public space, Hemming Park, which had been named after a Confederate, is being renamed for James Weldon Johnson.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/357206-confederate-no-more-jacksonville-renames-parks-amid-calls-for-chang

From Florida Politics 

Let’s hear it for Jax!

Edited by spenser1058