Cool Stuff in Other Cities

18 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Nice, I’ll be there for work the first week of March.

Make sure to stop by The Jug, a little juke joint made famous by Lynrd Synyrd in the song Gimme Three Steps

thejug.jpg

Around 1982, my college roommate and  I drove up there to hang out with a buddy of his who was in the Navy stationed at Mayport and he took us there.

It was a pretty intense little bar. Really great local band was playing. The lead guitarist and lead singer was a little Japanese guy about 5' tall who had a wireless mic attached to his guitar so he could leave the stage while he was playing. We were sitting in a double row of  booths with a divider between them and he did a balance beam walk along the divider while he was cranking out a lead solo.

And the characters in the place were like that bar in the original Star Wars. Strange Jacksonville type people.

As soon as it was closing time, the lights came on and about a half dozen big, huge, not so friendly looking Jacksonville cops came in with night sticks telling everyone it was time to go.

Like I said, it was an intense little place.

I think at that time it was called The Post and Cue or something like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/23/2021 at 9:47 AM, spenser1058 said:

The Jaxson takes a look at the new Buc-ees up near St. Augustine. The Daytona store is coming soon:

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/a-look-inside-floridas-first-buc-ees/

@spenser1058 I believe you mentioned you're moving to Springfield in Jacksonville. Well I'll be heading up there as well to the Riverside area. A small migration from the Orlando forum is occurring. :lol:

Sadly, it looks like the Jacksonville section is extremely inactive on UrbanPlanet. Do you know of a local forum for the area?

6 hours ago, WAJAS said:

@spenser1058 I believe you mentioned you're moving to Springfield in Jacksonville. Well I'll be heading up there as well to the Riverside area. A small migration from the Orlando forum is occurring. :lol:

Sadly, it looks like the Jacksonville section is extremely inactive on UrbanPlanet. Do you know of a local forum for the area?

Welcome to The Bold New City Of the South! The Jaxson has a pretty active forum section in addition to its daily articles.

• Like 1

I know this will be an uphill battle to be successful but I’m going to try and get the Jacksonville forum in UP going again.

Although The Jaxson has incredible articles, I find the forum terribly clunky and not very user-friendly compared to what @Neo has done so well here at UP.

I posted the first new thread in years today, so I hope you’ll stop in and take a look.

• 2 weeks later...

3,500 Target employees leaving downtown Minneapolis City Center as the company switches to a partial work at home model: 

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03/12/business/stock-market-today/target-gives-up-minneapolis-office-space-moving-to-partial-work-from-home-model

From The New York Times 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A long vacant cigar factory near Tampa’s Ybor City has been purchased. The new owner seeks historic status and will renovate the building into an event space:

https://www.tampabay.com/life-culture/history/2021/03/29/developer-restoring-a-tampa-cigar-factory-seeks-historic-landmark-status/

From The Tampa Bay Times 
  • Like 2

The American Jobs Act includes billions of dollars for rail and may lead Amtrak to increase service in Florida.

Jacksonville’s historic downtown station hasn’t been an Amtrak stop since 1974. Instead, an uninspired station was completed in the northwest section of town that’s not particularly convenient. As a result, what was once the busiest rail station in the South is now #4 just in Florida.

There has long been talk of returning things downtown and, with revenue from both the local and federal level a possibility, a significant increase in rail use may return to The Bokd New City of the South.
https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/

From The Jaxson

The article also includes some great stats about Amtrak boardings around Florida.

Edited by spenser1058

Long before Jeff Bezos was even a gleam in his daddy’s eye, Sears truly was “The Everything Store”. Its reach dwarfed Amazon’s and they literally sold just about anything (as late as the 1960’s, my dad bought a Sears motorcycle on clearance at the much-missed E. Colonial store).

Perhaps most amazing, you could buy houses from Sears and the components came to you on the train.

Public station WJCT has looked around in Jacksonville and found three still standing and there may be more.

https://news.wjct.org/post/3-sears-kit-homes-known-still-exist-jacksonville-might-you-have-4th

Edited by spenser1058

Amtrak proposes rail service to restart from Savannah to Atlanta (and on to Nashville) as part of President Biden’s American Jobs Plan but Georgia legislators have something bigger on their mind - high speed rail between the coast and the state’s capital:

https://amp.savannahnow.com/amp/7138126002

From The Savannah Morning News

Either way, one could access the line from Orlando via Jacksonville (with Amtrak existing service from downtown Orlando and Winter Park - who needs MCO?)

”There’s something about a train...”

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

Anticipated ‘car-free’ development moves forward

Culdesac in Tempe, Arizona, a model community that combines urbanism with technology, is demonstrating an untapped demand for car-free living. Opticos Design won a merit award in the Emerging Projects category of CNU's 2021 Charter Awards.

link:

Anticipated ‘car-free’ development moves forward | CNU

Apple will be establishing a large North Carolina campus in the Raleigh-Durham area:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/apple-establish-north-carolina-campus-increase-us-spending-targets-2021-04-26/

From Reuters 

Interesting they seemed to avoid the intensity of the beauty contest folderol Amazon put everyone through (although it took three years for the Tarheel State to reel them in).

Edited by spenser1058