Cool Stuff in Other Cities

14 hours ago, AmIReal said:

The tradeoff to those great restoration projects you are excited about is the lost 30 years of economic vitality in Jax downtown. The area is preserved in time, but has so much catching up to do. I do believe now is a good time to be developing Jax and I think the end result will be pretty good. OTOH all it takes is for a C Kuhn type person to come along and throw a monkey wrench in the works.

Sifikis specifically mentions Savannah retail- which I admit looks pretty good on the surface. That was "funded" by some land owners in downtown Savannah and the rumors are they are about to bleed tenants.  What SAV and CLT have in common retail wise is tourist. Can downtown Jax pull in visitors?

I have personal ties to downtown Jax so I hope it goes well. 

Charlotte also has one of the larger office markets in the SE and a high concentration of finance jobs because of BOA. 

Wasn't one of the major problems with downtown Jax is that the Baptist Church owns tons of real estate and was restrictive on who they would lease to? 

The first Jacksonville Seafood Festival is coming up in July under the Fuller Warren Bridge. Another great reason to live in the River City… did I mention there will be smoked mullet!?!

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/life/food/first-coast-foodies/jacksonville-seafood-festival-scheduled-for-july/77-6e905bb5-d308-4659-b5b6-3a4c9ca24a40

From First Coast News 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

How St. Pete changed the city’s culture and made something incredibly special:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chaddscott/2021/06/09/culture-continues-fueling-ascension-of-st-petersburg-florida/amp/

From Forbes

The St. Pete transformation is probably my favorite Florida success story.  

• Like 3

Been saying St. Pete has been transforming for the last couple of years. It is a completely different city now than it was 10-15 years ago when I last visited most. 

I may be moving to there eventually (closer to the family than Orlando or Winter Haven) if I can afford the rent. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Been saying St. Pete has been transforming for the last couple of years. It is a completely different city now than it was 10-15 years ago when I last visited most. 

I may be moving to there eventually (closer to the family than Orlando or Winter Haven) if I can afford the rent. 

and they even have smoked mullet!

• Like 1

Yes they do. . .  best smoked over old mangrove root driftwood from the brackish waters in the bayou areas at the mouth of the bay/rivers.  

I would never eat smoked mullet at a restaurant that is more than a mile from a brackish bay/bayou/estuary.  Just not the same if not fresh caught and cleaned and done right. It can be downright terrible if done wrong. 
Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:
Yes they do. . .  best smoked over old mangrove root driftwood from the brackish waters in the bayou areas at the mouth of the bay/rivers.  

I would never eat smoked mullet at a restaurant that is more than a mile from a brackish bay/bayou/estuary.  Just not the same if not fresh caught and cleaned and done right. It can be downright terrible if done wrong. 

Yummy!

A $4 billion tunnel replacement near Baltimore will speed Amtrak trains from 30mph to 100 in a key section between Washington and NYC:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-bp-tunnel-renaming-groundbreaking-20210618-vbz5hboy2rc5dflivrsfpo76je-story.html?outputType=amp

From The Baltimore Sun 

All Aboard America… All Aboard Amtrak 
Edited by spenser1058

Just got back from 5 days in LA and 1 day in San Diego and all I can say is wow. First time in California and both cities absolutely put anything in Florida to shame.

LA is stunning. Very dirty but it’s easy to overlook considering how incredible the city is. San Diego is a lot cleaner but far less unique. Still a great place.

But both are pleasant, vibrant, walkable, and distinct with good public transportation and connectivity. I may have just found my new place to live.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

Just got back from 5 days in LA and 1 day in San Diego and all I can say is wow. First time in California and both cities absolutely put anything in Florida to shame.

LA is stunning. Very dirty but it’s easy to overlook considering how incredible the city is. San Diego is a lot cleaner but far less unique. Still a great place.

But both are pleasant, vibrant, walkable, and distinct with good public transportation and connectivity. I may have just found my new place to live.

It’s all @prahaboheme’s doing. Now we’re just waiting for him to fix Orlando…

2 hours ago, Uncommon said:

It’s not unusual for folks to live a car-free lifestyle in LA, despite the typical conception that it’s a car infested sprawling hell. Save that stereotype for the Valley!

• Like 1

Long before Disney-MGM or Universal bought combination studios/tourist attractions to Florida, there was Marineland (aka Marine Studios):

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/marineland-the-history-of-bringing-the-ocean-ashore/

From The Jaxson

Much of its amazing 1938 deco facilities are gone now, but at one time it presented a stunning appearance on FL A1A right at the St Johns / Flagler County line (in fact, Marineland was once an incorporated city).

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Hey, whatever developments Miami doesn't want, tell them to send 'em on up to Orlando. We're in desperate need of new high-rise (and high dollar) towers. Starting with the Zoi House lot :tw_skull:. And the cantilever would protect your beloved tree... win-win.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 5:50 AM, spenser1058 said:

Andrew Yang has conceded in the NYC mayoral primary - can @dcluley98convince him to run in Orlando next?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/22/nyregion/nyc-mayor.html?referringSource=articleShare

From the New York Times 

I would love that! Yang and Gabbard are my favorite Dem politicians.

• Like 2