Cool Stuff in Other Cities

A few transit notes from our neighbor.

"Tampa Bay's 1st Rapid Transit System, SunRunner, To Debut Oct. 21- The SunRunner will include 30 stations, with buses running every 15 minutes during the day and every 30 minutes in the evening."

I am looking forward to being able to quickly get from beachside to downtown St Pete.

https://patch.com/florida/pinellasbeaches/tampa-bays-1st-rapid-transit-system-sunrunner-debut-oct-21

OTOH, "The Tampa Bay region’s decades long flirtation with commuter train service could be derailed by the private company that owns the tracks." "Seven years after CSX first said it would consider selling two of its freight lines running through Hernando, Pasco, Hillsborough and Pinellas counties, the company has removed the “for sale” sign."

Interesting, at least to me. I wonder if this is somehow related to Brightline...? Maybe I'm reaching.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/2022/07/20/csx-tampa-bay-rail-lines-no-longer-for-sale/

But then, "Tampa commits $1.5M to historic train station refurb, hoping to jumpstart redevelopment"

"The station, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, sits on the east end of downtown Tampa. It was completed in 1912 and to this day serves more than 100,000 Amtrak passengers a year. Proponents think it could be much more, though. Once renovated, they envision a busy coffee shop and event venue. Maybe a restaurant or even workspace for incubator companies and startups looking for a trendy address."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tampa-commits-1-5m-to-historic-train-station-refurb-hoping-to-jumpstart-redevelopment/ar-AAZKWgI?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=fbb214f8ebce408ebc5eab1045a32706

sorry, couldn't find a direct link

Today may be the hottest day ever in much of the US, so what better time to take a look at the ultimate summer food - a Chicago-style dog freshly “dragged through the garden”. @jrs2is quick to remind you though, NO KETCHUP:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/21/dining/chicago-hot-dog.html?referringSource=articleShare

From The New York Times 

Let’s take a tour of old Brunswick with The Jaxson. The old city hall (with pic in the article) has always been one of my favorites:

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/sights-and-scenes-brunswick-old-town-historic-district/

Brunswick is just an hour north of Jax via I-95. There are also great beaches in the area.

Edited by spenser1058

This has likely been mentioned by spenser, but I guess I somehow missed the news Jax Transportation Authority is "planning" a commuter rail from JTA downtown to King St St. Augustine.

https://gis.jtafla.com/portal/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=9813461a3590462892bcd0cc13d26161

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/first-coast-commuter-rail-connecting-jacksonville-st-augustine-works/FYVVU5QQ2JGMBCNSFG25TQKDQI/

• Like 1

Ferg’s may have been a bust in downtown Orlando, but now they’re taking a Gasparilla pirate ship across the bay:

Ferg’s Sports Bar buys Gasparilla pirate ship, will park it in St. Pete

The Bonney-Read Krewe’s former parade float will go on display for photos and parties at Ferg’s next week.

As we move Beyond the Ultimate, I-95 is going to be widened just west of downtown Jacksonville for the first time since.the late ‘90’s:

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/fdot-to-widen-i-95-through-lavilla

From The Jaxson 

Ain’t nobody talking about those dadgum Lexus Lanes, either. Duval County voted overwhelmingly years ago to substitute a sales tax increase for tolls. It drives FDOT crazy, but too bad, so sad.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

As we move Beyond the Ultimate, I-95 is going to be widened just west of downtown Jacksonville for the first time since.the late ‘90’s:

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/fdot-to-widen-i-95-through-lavilla

From The Jaxson 

Ain’t nobody talking about those dadgum Lexus Lanes, either. Duval County voted overwhelmingly years ago to substitute a sales tax increase for tolls. It drives FDOT crazy, but too bad, so sad.

On the Lexus lanes issue ala I-4, who operates them? Is it the TNPK Authority?  B

I thought I read FDOT but they could farm it out to FTE, I guess.

How do we always seem to get screwed in Fla?  I mean, Tampa has the big toll road up to and past Wesley Chappel, and the Crosstown, so it's not just us.  Broward has one; SoFla has the TNPK and Extension; But it looks like Jax doesn't have any toll roads...

17 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

How do we always seem to get screwed in Fla?  I mean, Tampa has the big toll road up to and past Wesley Chappel, and the Crosstown, so it's not just us.  Broward has one; SoFla has the TNPK and Extension; But it looks like Jax doesn't have any toll roads...

It’s because Jax voters actually stood up and said, “to h**l with that.” We need leaders to stand up to the Tallahassee idiots for a change instead of always saying, “please sir, may I have some more?” Unfortunately, the only leaders in the OC with a backbone anymore are folks like Anna Eskamani and Carlos G. Smith and local governments like WG. Meanwhile, up in Seminole, folks like Lee Constantine (yep, a Republican) are actually getting things done.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 2:01 PM, jrs2 said:

Orlando has lower gas prices (6 cents in taxes per gallon) and sales tax (1% on every purchase you make) then Jax. The Orlando method is objectively more fair and less regressive... those who use the toll roads pay for them, those who don't... don't. Orlando doesn't punish those who choose to live close to where they work (or taking public transit) with higher sales tax by making them pay for the roads, but instead charges the users who live out in the sprawl areas more because they use the highways a lot more.

I personally love the express lane concept, free lanes on the outside, premium, traffic free lanes on the inside, ability to choose at will if you value time or money more to avoid traffic. And in South Florida, the express lanes sped up the free lanes by 20mph during rush hour. Not only that, but the express lane users' tolls fund both the express lanes and the free lanes, freeing up money for other projects.

Edited by aent

On 8/2/2022 at 2:01 PM, jrs2 said:

Jax has a dedicated portion of their sales tax that funds transportation (half penny). We do not for now. They have has since the early 2000's. 

I would also add that Jax is a consolidated county so all roads are state or city/county. Easier to negotiate. 

Edited by jack

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The tourists and developers have arrived in Charleston:

‘But it’s impossible to resurrect the soul of a city once it’s been “improved.”’ - Kathleen Parker, WaPo columnist

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/03/kathleen-parker-charleston-boomtown/

I feel like this story is written every 5 years for the last 20 or so with the same complaints. Complaints about the outsiders, especially northern 2nd home owners, too many tourists, etc. 

2 minutes ago, jack said:

I feel like this story is written every 5 years for the last 20 or so with the same complaints. Complaints about the outsiders, especially northern 2nd home owners, too many tourists, etc. 

Kathleen is a former Reagan speechwriter who once lived in Orlando, so make of it what you will. My ex, who first moved there in 1987, echoes the complaints.

Nonetheless, it bodes well for Savannah , which has managed to keep a better check on their historic core even as the city grows apace. Also for newer up and comers like Georgetown, on up US 17, where some of my mama’s kin are from.

“Accessory dwelling units* are the strongest and most immediate way to address our affordable housing crisis and to keep our families together” - Jax City Councilman Rory Diamond

* (like garage apartments)

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/heres-a-new-strategy-for-the-rental-housing-crisis

From The Jaxson

ADUs and smaller, 12-15 unit buildings (generally locally owned and maintained) -think The Columns on South St or Bel Fontaine on Eola Dr or sprinkled all around Delaney Park - are less disruptive to their neighborhoods, tend to have less turnover and generally have less problems with crime (it’s easier to keep “eyes on the street” at this scale) than the oversized projects developers (generally from out of state) favor. Those developers could care less about neighborhoods- just “show them the money”.  What would you rather have ? 

More housing options are the best way to make it affordable for everyone but soul-sucking, neighborhood-destroying units that can be loved only by the pockets of developers and their political enablers are not the answer. 

Edited by spenser1058

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Kathleen is a former Reagan speechwriter who once lived in Orlando, so make of it what you will. My ex, who first moved there in 1987, echoes the complaints.

Nonetheless, it bodes well for Savannah , which has managed to keep a better check on their historic core even as the city grows apace. Also for newer up and comers like Georgetown, on up US 17, where some of my mama’s kin are from.

I know who she is. My point that it has been going on for a long time. Also, much of the growth is not on the peninsula, but rather Mt pleasant and further north. I think the charm is still there but with lots more people hanging out. 

I think Savannah has the same fundamentals just further behind. The flip side is the Charleston economy is stronger. 

“Accessory dwelling units* are the strongest and most immediate way to address our affordable housing crisis and to keep our families together” - Jax City Councilman Rory Diamond

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/heres-a-new-strategy-for-the-rental-housing-crisis

From The Jaxson

ADUs and smaller, 12-15 unit buildings (generally locally owned and maintained) -think The Columns on South St or Bel Fontaine on Eola Dr or sprinkled all around Delaney Park - are less disruptive to their neighborhoods, tend to have less turnover and generally have less problems with crime (it’s easier to keep “eyes on the street” at this scale) than the oversized projects developers (generally from out of state) favor. Those developers could care less about neighborhoods- just “show them the money”.  What would you rather have ? 

More housing options are the best way to make it affordable for everyone but soul-sucking, neighborhood-destroying units that can be loved only by the pockets of developers and their political enablers are not the answer. 

Orlando just recently permitted ADU's and they also modified their townhome regulations. 12-15 unit buildings are difficult to build cost wise and it is difficult to find zoning that would allow it. For example, a unit count between 12-15units would need roughly half of an acre minimum assuming it is a 2 story building. The zoning would need to permit 24-30 units per acre. No neighborhood would allow that kind of density that is currently 2 story homes like Lake Eola Heights or Delaney Park. 

FWIW, Vox has a series on the lack of new housing throughout the country focusing on the regulatory environment and the impact homeowners have on the approval process. 

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

From The Jaxson

Saw this in the sentinel after I read your comment. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/guest-commentary/os-op-affordable-housing-solutions-duplexes-20220805-i3ugzunlvzfpfkaelxlbrplopa-story.html

None of her ideas are bad but making modifications to single family neighborhoods is an uphill battle. Additionally, I am glad she brought up the rules limiting unrelated people from living together. There are so many rules put I place in the past 50 years that had led to crisis for reasonable priced housing. 

A look at some of the projects getting underway around the edges of downtown Jax:

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/6-downtown-projects-now-under-construction

From The Jaxson 

An interesting note on The Four Seasons - unlike the DeVos clan who are choosing to do nothing with their MEC, Jags owner Shad Khan has figured out a way to move incrementally on the entertainment complex initially rejected by the city council.

10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

A look at some of the projects getting underway around the edges of downtown Jax:

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/6-downtown-projects-now-under-construction

From The Jaxson 

An interesting note on The Four Seasons - unlike the DeVos clan who are choosing to do nothing with their MEC, Jags owner Shad Khan has figured out a way to move incrementally on the entertainment complex initially rejected by the city council.

It looks like Shad Kahn's Four Seasons project is in the same phase as the MEC- empty lot with a fence and an unknown scheduled future start date.