Cool Stuff in Other Cities

A look at Hyde Park Village, Tampa’s latter-day answer to WP’s Park Avenue (HPV was conceived in the 1980’s, whereas Park Ave, as the main downtown street, dates back to WP’s founding in the late 1800’s).

One thing I especially like about about HPV is that it has retained more retail, while Park Ave. is increasingly becoming a restaurant row. The Ave, however, wins points for having Rollins College at one end and the Morse Gallery at the other.

http://www.tampabay.com/life-culture/entertainment/shopping/2022/12/03/tampas-hyde-park-village-brings-charm-holiday-shopping/

From The Tampa Bay Times 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

A look at Hyde Park Village, Tampa’s latter-day answer to WP’s Park Avenue (HPV was conceived in the 1980’s, whereas Park Ave, as the main downtown street, dates back to WP’s founding in the late 1800’s).

One thing I especially like about about HPV is that it has retained more retail, while Park Ave. is increasingly becoming a restaurant row. The Ave, however, wins points for having Rollins College at one end and the Morse Gallery at the other.

http://www.tampabay.com/life-culture/entertainment/shopping/2022/12/03/tampas-hyde-park-village-brings-charm-holiday-shopping/

From The Tampa Bay Times 

Hyde Park is great but what sets Park Ave apart from it is access to transit. The Sunrail stop combined with the park tips the scales in WP's favor pretty easily imo.

• Like 2

My favorite sentence of the day :

”Beaufort is subdued in the best possible way. She has the same deep history and stunning architecture that her nearby sisters, Charleston and Savannah, are celebrated for, but she’s fine staying slightly out of the limelight. Wise and mature, Beaufort wears her age like the badge of honor it is. Her Lowcountry aura feels elemental, with more patina and less pomp. 

From Southern Living 

https://apple.news/AdAXMQyEhTiG3TQWUMRejJA

Beaufort is probably my favorite small town in the country. Were it not for SC’s politics, it would be #1 on my list of places to retire.

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

The Jaxson looks at five waterfront parks that Jax might serve as models for what the city could accomplish along the St Johns River downtown:

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/waterfront-parks-5-models-for-jacksonville/

Included are Daytona’s Riverfront Esplanade and @prahaboheme’s favorite, the St Petersburg Pier.

Let’s take a loooong stroll along Tampa’s Bayshore Boulevard and the nation’s longest continuous sidewalk with The Jaxson:

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/urban-trails-tampas-bayshore-boulevard

Along the way, we’ll take a detour just a few blocks north to Hyde Park, Cigar City’s answer to WP’s Park Ave.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

I was visiting the Connecticut State Veterans Cemetery today and I noticed a vast array of large buildings nearby. I found out that it's the Connecticut Hospital for the Insane built in 1868 in Middletown, CT. In it's heyday, it was one of the largest mental institutions in the country. It's still operational today, although now it's simply called the Connecticut Valley Hospital. Some of the buildings on the site are abandoned but most are still occupied.

CVH09.JPG

MiddletownConnecticutHospitalInsane.jpg

1.jpg.webp

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 6.54.11 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, angela1117 said:

This was an interesting read. I think I was drawn to it because a high school friend lived down the road from the Trenton (NJ) Psychiatric Hospital. Sometimes at night we could hear shrieking.

image.jpeg.82ace30660235220942bfe57e097b33c.jpeg

I both understand why we need more psychiatric institutions around this country and why we don't have them.  It would certainly help the tens of thousands of people who now just wander around (often homeless) without access to care.  It was also a massive inhumane mess how these facilities were once run.  

On a funnier note, my middle school friend lived next to an adult drive-in.  What an eye-opener that was for a 12-13 year old!  All you had to do was walk through the woods a few hundred feet and there were things happening on a giant screen.  You just needed a radio to hear it all even if you didn't make the physical trip.

A funnier note on that is that his house was really close to the AM radio transmitter the drive-in used.  Sometimes a random speaker in his house would catch the signal without any warning and you could hear the sound from whatever movie was playing.  

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, orange87 said:

I was visiting the Connecticut State Veterans Cemetery today and I noticed a vast array of large buildings nearby. I found out that it's the Connecticut Hospital for the Insane built in 1868 in Middletown, CT. In it's heyday, it was one of the largest mental institutions in the country. It's still operational today, although now it's simply called the Connecticut Valley Hospital. Some of the buildings on the site are abandoned but most are still occupied.

CVH09.JPG

MiddletownConnecticutHospitalInsane.jpg

1.jpg.webp

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 6.54.11 PM.png

A grew up in MA near the Tewksbury psychiatric hospital, still operational for mental health related indications. Even in the 80s the place was incredibly outdated. I can’t imagine the state it is in today.

And closer to Orlando, I once played “hide and seek” in the abandoned and very creepy Pine Hills insane asylum — long demolished now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/26/2023 at 9:08 PM, dcluley98 said:

https://www.costar.com/article/899472246/new-costco-design-with-apartments-overhead-has-property-brokers-buzzing

Costco going mixed-use residential?  Wow! 

Please can we make this happen for the blighted Sentinel block? 

Gainesville's got that Target at University & 13th that's under a 12-14 story apartment building...

• 1 month later...

Logan’s Terminal E architect explains the new ‘Boston Red’ building and fourth-generation airports

The distinctive Terminal E not only looks futuristic from the outside, its architect describes the interior as the next generation in airport design.

https://www.boston.com/news/the-boston-globe/2023/04/14/new-red-terminal-e-logan-airport/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 7:29 PM, prahaboheme said:

Logan’s Terminal E architect explains the new ‘Boston Red’ building and fourth-generation airports

The distinctive Terminal E not only looks futuristic from the outside, its architect describes the interior as the next generation in airport design.

https://www.boston.com/news/the-boston-globe/2023/04/14/new-red-terminal-e-logan-airport/

that's cool as hec.  Looks like something you'd see in Europe.

6 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

you should see it on Google satellite view of Logan...

It's very...ahem....Spanish (that's not a dig at it).   Weird to see it in the context of a place like Boston; seems like something more fitting for Barcelona or Madrid!

• Thanks 1