Cool Stuff in Other Cities

1 hour ago, jliv said:

It's very...ahem....Spanish (that's not a dig at it).   Weird to see it in the context of a place like Boston; seems like something more fitting for Barcelona or Madrid!

you're right.  

Red is the ultimate power color.

Not to be outdone by SF and the GG Bridge, developers in Chi-Town in like '72 built the 600+' CNA Building identical to the RJD Plaza, IBM, Federal Center, Illinois Center, Equitable, etc., towers except that instead of it being clad in black anodized aluminum (as also with Sears and JHC), they made it... red.  Very red and very vibrant.

Look how prominent this building it in the skyline.  It has a wow factor to it just because of its color.  It's one of the reasons Chicago is Chicago with the Arts... and I think this terminal at Logan will do similarly for BOS.

333-south-wabash_1200xx3465-1949-57-0.jpg

41583882910_78e76e935f_b.jpg

chicago-cna-and-sears-tower-richard-christensen.jpg

City-Chopper.jpg

CNA_Center.webp

download.jpeg

istockphoto-92248302-612x612.jpg

1 hour ago, jliv said:

It's very...ahem....Spanish (that's not a dig at it).   Weird to see it in the context of a place like Boston; seems like something more fitting for Barcelona or Madrid!

Now check it out again..it's so iconic, it puts Logan on the "map."  O'Hare has been on the "map" twice, first in '63 with the original black buildings and then in the '80's with the United Terminal.  DFW is uneventful other than its sheer size.  Miami Intl has a relatively new terminal that's really cool.

1958.jpg

boston-logan-international-airport-terminal-e-expansion-v0-2hntpm2xhxta1.webp

HID36NYRQ7NE22JLSF537DP73U-6437d5670bf52-scaled.webp

ODB_Miami-Dade-Aviation_MIA-SouthTerminal_-17.jpg

2020_04_14_aecom_terminale_view02_landside_prefinal-phase-1-onlyl.jpg

I don't remember Krispy Kreme being a thing in the northeast when I was growing up in NJ but I left in 1979 so I'm sure there's lots I've missed. These photos did however remind me that it's been too long since a trip to Donuts To Go in Sanford. They are located on First Street in the plaza next to the hospital....right next door to a Quest lab. When I would be inspecting the lab for medical waste disposal compliance I could smell the delightful sugar aroma from next door. Best glazed donut ever. Also lots of fun fancy shmancy donuts. And a glazed cronut.....starts looking for keys....road trip!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cool stuff in other cities?  Put this in your pipes and smoke it:

Waldorf Tower in Miami.  1,049' and broke ground already... It will make Panorama look dinky.  It's adjacent to Everglades on the Bay.  Actually, it's a little out of scale; Everglades is like 538' in height so this should be shown to be less that twice that height, not more than twice.

300Biscayne_Rendering-Full_(c)ArX__Solutions211117-081110.jpg

waldorf-1.jpg

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

A neat infill project in St. Pete:

https://stpeterising.com/home/2023/5/16/orange-station-revises-development-plan-adds-office-space-and-announces-a-boutique-hotel-in-downtown-st-pete

I think something like this would work very well on one of those empty DPAC parcels — the classical elements would play nicely off the Bohemian, City Hall, and even the post modern Suntrust (or what it’s called these days) tower.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, orange87 said:

Miami has 82 buildings that are taller than Orlando's tallest.

this is a real city and having Brightline connect it to Orlando is the best thing that could of happened to Orlando.  Two styles; two economies; two separate tourism bases...

On 7/20/2023 at 2:51 PM, orange87 said:

Miami has 82 buildings that are taller than Orlando's tallest.

so I surfed the Miami subforum for a minute on SkyscraperCity.  I keep forgetting that they have the 3rd tallest skyline in the US, behind NYC and Chicago.  This was the deal 15 years ago and even more so today.  It's pretty insane.  I mean, just think if maybe 5% of those towers came here instead...like, what, 4 building, right, taller than Suntrust?  That would completely change the skyline.  This is why I always say DTO is on life support.  There is no major CC to attract convention-class hotel towers.  There is no major coastline to attract desirable oceanfront or bayfront towers.  There is no other attraction downtown.  All that being said, DTO is managing to get some projects here.  But I think it will hit a certain point where they will be coming en masse. 

But Miami is Miami...Scarface, Miami Vice, Ricky Ricardo...the connection to Cuba, etc.   It's all good.  I think Brightline will open up Orlando to the typical Miami tourist that wouldn't otherwise give Orlando a second thought, and that could benefit the city a lot.  Think about it.  Already, we've had proposals from Architectonica, and The Wave is one of theirs.  I keep hoping the Latino connection brings something.  THink of this...MCO has become a bit of a gateway city into the US and Florida as of late with many of these flights and air carriers.

But The City of Orlando needs to change some of their BS.  They need to do what St. Pete did to clean up their downtown.  They also need to look at how Sarasota had a master plan downtown and how thirty years later it has paid dividends and made it unlike most any other Florida town of similar size.  The metro has a lot of pockets of cool places to go to- no denying that.  But they need to clean up DTO to make it a desirable place to live.  It kind of already is, but how many times can you get panhandled in a single day before you start getting sick of it?

11 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Miami is still in Florida and suffers from a lot of the same draconian laws that prevent it from reaching its potential. The fact that there is no train to South Beach is indefensible.

Miami Beach is a separate city from Miami, much like Marietta is from Atlanta.  The only difference with Marietta is that it's in Cobb.  Marietta gave MARTA the finger years ago and said no to a MARTA line up I-75, and now The Braves left The ATL and moved to... Marietta...where there's no MARTA. 

I'm sure Miami Beach has similar feelings towards City of Miami. Liberty City...Overtown...hello?  Where have you been? DTO has a free Lymmo line that's mainly used by the homeless.  Wouldn't you?  I would. There ain't no draconian Florida laws keeping those two separated; they're doing that themselves, and City of Miami Beach don't want 'em.

And coincidentally, The Bears gave City of Chicago the finger too and are moving to Arlington, IL.  Bittersweet, for sure...but, hey, didn't  Chicago just approve no cash bail?

8 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I'd be kind of happy for DTO to stay on the smaller side.

It still feels like a city, but without a lot of the insanity and ugliness cities like Miami deal with. 

Whoa, bud, you are like totally way off base about Miami. Miami is a nice calm safe quiet place to visit and live in, and a great place to raise a family...

118381 (1).jpg

p183928_b_h10_an.jpg

91S-0DP41EL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

Grand_Theft_Auto_Liberty_City_Stories_box.jpg

457736_Miami-Shooting.JPEG-001a4.jpg

On 7/23/2023 at 10:13 AM, JFW657 said:

I stand corrected. :hi:

my favorite part of that collage was the 2 Live Crew album where Luther Campbell has his "Luke Skywalker" moniker on the car-pre Lucas lawsuit, of course.  I want that album...

On 7/22/2023 at 11:27 AM, prahaboheme said:

Miami is still in Florida and suffers from a lot of the same draconian laws that prevent it from reaching its potential. The fact that there is no train to South Beach is indefensible.

Isn't the metromover going there? 

https://www.thenextmiami.com/metromover-to-miami-beach-expected-to-open-in-2028-or-2029/

This will be amazing as I prefer to stay in Brickell when I am there., but would love a cheaper and easier way to get to the beach. 

Edited by shardoon
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, shardoon said:

Isn't the metromover going there? 

https://www.thenextmiami.com/metromover-to-miami-beach-expected-to-open-in-2028-or-2029/

This will be amazing as I prefer to stay in Brickell when I am there., but would love a cheaper and easier way to get to the beach. 

That seems to be the latest move in what has been a nearly half century long debate to get mass transit to Miami Beach.

On 7/22/2023 at 11:20 PM, jrs2 said:

Miami Beach is a separate city from Miami, much like Marietta is from Atlanta.  The only difference with Marietta is that it's in Cobb.  Marietta gave MARTA the finger years ago and said no to a MARTA line up I-75, and now The Braves left The ATL and moved to... Marietta...where there's no MARTA. 

I'm sure Miami Beach has similar feelings towards City of Miami. Liberty City...Overtown...hello?  Where have you been? DTO has a free Lymmo line that's mainly used by the homeless.  Wouldn't you?  I would. There ain't no draconian Florida laws keeping those two separated; they're doing that themselves, and City of Miami Beach don't want 'em.

And coincidentally, The Bears gave City of Chicago the finger too and are moving to Arlington, IL.  Bittersweet, for sure...but, hey, didn't  Chicago just approve no cash bail?

I’m well aware that Miami Beach is a separate city from Miami and that the residents have largely played a role into why the system has not been expanded to the beach. 

As for the rest, I don’t understand what you are talking about.  Other than, perhaps, you are attempting to make some political statement. 

On 7/22/2023 at 11:20 PM, jrs2 said:

When was the last time you were in Miami? The whole city has completely changed from the 1990's. Tons of residential, nightlife, restaurants, cafes. Very walkable and dare I say European. I actually prefer staying in Brickell cause it is cheaper and have just as many restaurants as beachside, if not more. Yes, I am a foodie lol. I see a huge benefit to connect the two.  Now with brightline, I will most likely leave the car in Orlando. Getting to beachside is pricey with an Uber or taxi. The metro mover would be a game changer. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I’m well aware that Miami Beach is a separate city from Miami and that the residents have largely played a role into why the system has not been expanded to the beach. 

As for the rest, I don’t understand what you are talking about.  Other than, perhaps, you are attempting to make some political statement. 

Nah, all good. I was in a Miami mood when I wrote that... and you should know me by now (alluding to versus coming out and just saying it)...

....but forget all that...

...because...

I'm in a really fantastical mood right now...   

No, I'm not a father (as far as I know- Oops, we're in Florida; I'll let you know within 6 1/2 weeks minus 1 day). 

Can anyone say DIE-IN?  Yes, PETA protest die-in!  How awesome was that?  You guys missed it.

You wanna talk about art?  The art of the protest.  This was an A+.  What a group!  Bravo. I wish them well... They'll be in Portland in three days.

PETA Die-In.jpg

50 minutes ago, shardoon said:

When was the last time you were in Miami? The whole city has completely changed from the 1990's. Tons of residential, nightlife, restaurants, cafes. Very walkable and dare I say European. I actually prefer staying in Brickell cause it is cheaper and have just as many restaurants as beachside, if not more. Yes, I am a foodie lol. I see a huge benefit to connect the two.  Now with brightline, I will most likely leave the car in Orlando. Getting to beachside is pricey with an Uber or taxi. The metro mover would be a game changer. 

I was just being ornery...

• Confused 1

I-395 Bridge redo in Miami below.  So, just when you think we have local leaders worth the contents of the toilet that we flush, you realize they aren't even worth that.  We used to have juice with  FDOT when we had John Mica, but ever since he was "replaced" by someone who is nothing more than a placeholder, we get NOTHING regarding transportation related quality projects.  We got I-4 Ultimate, which is functional.  I'm not saying that Mica would have gotten us a really nice bridge redo somewhere in CFLA, but, his replacement has no expertise or even a shred of an acumen in transportation; just a party-placeholder.  Nevertheless, CFLA has crappy representation in Tallahassee.  Take a look at this project in Miami; $800M. 

To be fair, do you really need to say anything more than, um, we want FDOT to pay for this because...we're Miami?

But, just to put this into perspective, for anyone that goes up I-4 to I-95 in Daytona over the past 5 years, did you know that FDOT was NOT going to reconstruct that interchange with US92/I-95/I-4 unless Volusia and/or The City of Daytona Beach hired a consultant to get that money for that project?  Yes sir.  Tallahasse pretty much used Daytona as it's adult diaper until they themselves had to hire a consultant/lobbyist to go up to Seminole country and get those funds.

So while Volusia did that and Miami did this, Orlando has been dreaming about a park underneath an overpass like a bunch of San Francisco hobos.  And, yes, I am p!ssed.

https://www.hdrinc.com/portfolio/i-395-signature-bridge-design-build

miami 1.png

miami 2.jpg

miami 3.jpeg

miami 4.jpg

miami 6.jpeg

miami 7.jpeg