Cool Stuff in Other Cities

I think its asinine to split up the state and would hurt both sides. If Orlando isn't part of the "State of North Florida", they're going to do whatever it takes to bring tourism to their area, and freeway and transportation improvements would come to a halt, there is little incentive for them to expand roads for people to get to Orlando. That'd hurt South Florida's economy, and everyone all around would be losers in that case. I think its bad for states to only have a single border with another state, and as is, in the lower 48, only Maine suffers from that problem.

The only state that I think should be considered for a breakup is California, but even then, I'm pretty iffy on that. Such a huge deal.

17 minutes ago, aent said:

I think its asinine to split up the state and would hurt both sides. If Orlando isn't part of the "State of North Florida", they're going to do whatever it takes to bring tourism to their area, and freeway and transportation improvements would come to a halt, there is little incentive for them to expand roads for people to get to Orlando. That'd hurt South Florida's economy, and everyone all around would be losers in that case. I think its bad for states to only have a single border with another state, and as is, in the lower 48, only Maine suffers from that problem.

The only state that I think should be considered for a breakup is California, but even then, I'm pretty iffy on that. Such a huge deal.

I agree that there is simply not going to be a split - it's impossible to game it politically so Washington will never support it (in 1959, it was assumed Hawaii would be a Republican state and Alaskawould be Democratic - it ended up exactly the opposite.)

One thing I would disagree about: Georgia views their interstates (especially I-75) funneling tourist and truck traffic to Florida as a huge cash cow. Especially in South Georgia, it's one of the most important parts of the local economy. They have been happy to invest in the road and infrastructure to encourage driving through the state.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:11 PM, aent said:

just me joking around but this is another alternative :silly: 

InkedInked1200px-Sarasota_County_Florida_Incorporated_and_Unincorporated_areas_Venice_Highlighted.svg_LI.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, W7edwin said:

just me joking around but this is another alternative :silly: 

InkedInked1200px-Sarasota_County_Florida_Incorporated_and_Unincorporated_areas_Venice_Highlighted.svg_LI.jpg

Haha if you actually just kept the top line I'd support that a little more. That actually seems like a bit more logical split in my eyes. Although I'm still against splitting up the state.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orlandouprise said:

Still think ORL can swoop in and steal the Rays if Buddy had bigger balls

The Rays just announced they are buying the Rowdies. That gives them control of the Al Lang Stadium site on the waterfront. As of this moment, they say those two things are not related. Stay tuned...

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rowdies/2018/10/01/tampa-bay-rays-to-purchase-rowdies-soccer-club/?template=amp

From the St. Pete Times

10 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

The brise soliel lives! (In Boston)

Boston University:

07F23E91-5319-4C6E-8BD4-464BB8D1B82C.jpeg

So I guess the "haphazardly stacked crates" look is the latest hip, trendy new architectural fad du jour. Will it replace the Frank Gehry "crumpled wad of paper" look that was last year's fad?

Time will tell.

Wake me up when the silliness is over. :yawn:

Wow, this building looks awful. I don't mind the Miami Waldorf Astoria that much, as it is very tall and has a clean exterior skin. At 1049', if built, that Waldorf Astoria building will be the tallest building south of Philly that isn't in Los Angeles, new tallest in the Southeast, new tallest in Florida. The Boston U thing with all the different facade treatments is hideous IMO. 

Speaking of tallest building in Philly. . . I really like their new showcase Comcast Technology Center designed by Foster+Partners. It was completed earlier this year and is the tallest building in the US outside of Chicago or New York. Beautiful design IMO, mixing classic Art-Deco and Modern, fits in with surroundings, and great ground floor and interior space collaborated with Gensler. 

Comcast_Technology_Center_2018.jpg

Comcast_Technology_Center.jpg

Comcast-Innovation-and-Technology-Center-FosterPartners-1.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

So I guess the "haphazardly stacked crates" look is the latest hip, trendy new architectural fad du jour. Will it replace the Frank Gehry "crumpled wad of paper" look that was last year's fad?

Time will tell.

C'mon, JFW, tell us what you REALLY think!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Time will tell.

Clearly BU didn’t consult Baker Barrios in this decision - wheres the visor?!

• Haha 2