Jump to content

I am Reality

Cool Stuff in Other Cities

Recommended Posts

A second critical real estate purchase today means the SPP/Vinik Water St. project at Channelside in Tampa can get underway in 2019.

First up, a 26-story Marriott Edition hotel.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/realestate/In-second-major-deal-Water-Street-Tampa-to-pay-2-75-million-for-critically-needed-parcels-of-land_173076125?template=amp

From the St. Pete Times

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

A second critical real estate purchase today means the SPP/Vinik Water St. project at Channelside in Tampa can get underway in 2019.

First up, a 26-story Marriott Edition hotel.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/realestate/In-second-major-deal-Water-Street-Tampa-to-pay-2-75-million-for-critically-needed-parcels-of-land_173076125?template=amp

From the St. Pete Times

I recently stayed at New York Edition, and a hotel of this caliber will really be a game-changer for Tampa.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Because developers in Orlando can't afford to hire top notch architects?

I think it's even simpler than that. When Sun Bank Center was conceived, the bank was headquartered here. Today, SunTrust's home base is Atlanta and they have no objection to a shorter, relatively bland building for their Orlando outpost.

Orlando City Hall, the Orange County Courthouse, DPAC, duPont Centre, all had local champions encouraging memorable buildings and they got them for the most part.

In Miami, no one wants to be associated with a meh building because so many of those folks live there, but also because the city is a focal point for the state and region. Developers and architects want to be seen in Miami in a way they don't in downtown Orlando.

That's not the case with downtown Orlando. The "wow" factor is between Disney and Universal and those who try to keep up with them.

Tavistock is also choosing to make a different sort of statement at Nona.

Downtown Orlando is unique in that it's all about being the core for residents who live nearby. That perfectly matches the neighborhoods we preserved when most other cities bulldozed theirs in the name of "urban renewal."

Who knows? Maybe someday that will change but it would require a totally different set of values. Change will only come about if downtown is losing population, not because we're growing every year.

I know that's not the popular view here but it's the Downtown envisioned some 40 years ago and it was successful. It's hard to call it broken so it's hard to press the case for "fixing it."

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:13 AM, spenser1058 said:

Just for orlandouprise: today's the day the Atlanta City Council makes the big decision about Norfolk Southern's potential new HQ:

https://pilotonline.com/business/ports-rail/article_59ced2d0-dee3-11e8-bddb-77f976e6cb22.amp.html

From the Virginian-Pilot

was there ever a doubt that a city like Atlanta would do anything BUT greenlight the Gulch?  Nice to see ATL has huevos

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting dive into the demographics of whom SPP/Jeff Vinik believe will fill the initial apartment towers of Tampa's Water St. project. Hint: if you're not making at least $59,000 a year, this is not the place for you.

Given that Tampa is a lot more like Orlando than Miami, I'll be intrigued to see how this goes. 

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/realestate/Have-a-household-income-of-59-000-a-year-There-might-be-an-apartment-in-Water-Street-Tampa-s-first-residential-building-for-you_173392554?template=amp

From the St. Pete Times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harry Cohen, one of the candidates for Tampa mayor next year, is going all in on transit:

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/baybuzz/2018/11/15/tampas-grand-central-station-and-high-line-harry-cohen-is-thinking-big-on-transportation/?template=amp

From the St. Pete Times

He's doing so, in part, because Hillsborough County managed to pass their transportation tax on Nov. 6 (oddly, we seem to have missed it in the midst of the other, ummmm, calm proceedings.)

This is huge because Hillsborough has always been tax- and especially transit-phobic. The fact it passed with 57% support is nothing short of amazing.

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/280117-hillsborough-transportation-tax

From Florida Politics

I had hoped for an aggressive discussion of transit issues in the Orange County mayoral race, but once Bill Sublette dropped out, nary a peep has since been heard on the topic.

 

 

 

 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Harry Cohen, one of the candidates for Tampa mayor next year, is going all in on transit:

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/baybuzz/2018/11/15/tampas-grand-central-station-and-high-line-harry-cohen-is-thinking-big-on-transportation/?template=amp

From the St. Pete Times

He's doing so, in part, because Hillsborough County managed to pass their transportation tax on Nov. 6 (oddly, we seem to have missed it in the midst of the other, ummmm, calm proceedings.)

This is huge because Hillsborough has always been tax- and especially transit-phobic. The fact it passed with 57% support is nothing short of amazing.

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/280117-hillsborough-transportation-tax

From Florida Politics

I had hoped for an aggressive discussion of transit issues in the Orange County mayoral race, but once Bill Sublette dropped out, Mary a peep has since been heard on the topic.

 

 

 

 

Orlando metro’s lack of a discernible mass transit plan for future rail expansion (however pie-in-the-sky it might be) continues to surprise me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Orlando metro’s lack of a discernible mass transit plan for future rail expansion (however pie-in-the-sky it might be) continues to surprise me.

One of Mayor-elect Demings' transition teams are working on public transit but he hasn't said much on the subject. We'll see if there's any substance after Dec. 4, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, they do have plans. It is just wrapped up in the overall LRTP for the region.  The plan includes SunRail Expansion, Lynx/BRT Expansion, HSR/Brightline, Airport to I-drive Connector, OBX, possibilities for MagLev and Light-Rail, etc. Noticeably absent is Airport to DT connector.  Granted, it is not maybe as sophisticated as other areas, but there is a plan.

 95121361_Pagesfrom2040-LRTP-Plan-Overview.thumb.png.7f2ac90705b437f2517f9601c73cf542.png
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dcluley98 said:

I mean, they do have plans. It is just wrapped up in the overall LRTP for the region.  The plan includes SunRail Expansion, Lynx/BRT Expansion, HSR/Brightline, Airport to I-drive Connector, OBX, possibilities for MagLev and Light-Rail, etc. Noticeably absent is Airport to DT connector.  Granted, it is not maybe as sophisticated as other areas, but there is a plan.

 95121361_Pagesfrom2040-LRTP-Plan-Overview.thumb.png.7f2ac90705b437f2517f9601c73cf542.png
 

Indeed they do have plans, but those are mostly just the MPO looking busy and the plans end up sitting on a shelf.

The proof in the pudding will be when the county finally gets serious about a dedicated source of revenue for transit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I mean, they do have plans. It is just wrapped up in the overall LRTP for the region.  The plan includes SunRail Expansion, Lynx/BRT Expansion, HSR/Brightline, Airport to I-drive Connector, OBX, possibilities for MagLev and Light-Rail, etc. Noticeably absent is Airport to DT connector.  Granted, it is not maybe as sophisticated as other areas, but there is a plan.

 95121361_Pagesfrom2040-LRTP-Plan-Overview.thumb.png.7f2ac90705b437f2517f9601c73cf542.png
 

It just seems that there is no inertia behind these proposals aside from Brightline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they really want to do OBX. . . Other than that, agreed, it isn't very concrete and they could do a lot better if it was more organized and funded. It kinda looks like "Hey look, we're doing something!" to me other than SunRail and buses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dcluley98 said:

I think they really want to do OBX. . . Other than that, agreed, it isn't very concrete and they could do a lot better if it was more organized and funded. It kinda looks like "Hey look, we're doing something!" to me other than SunRail and buses. 

I'm reminded of NASA going to the moon and then basically going around in circles for the next 50 years. If you're not regularly moving forward, you're going backward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I somewhat disagree with that statement, Spenser. I think that their hands are tied due to politics and funding. They do what they can to do feasibility studies and get the planning in place, but it is never going to happen unless there is more of a push for it from the citizens and money allocated to it. Take the Trail Beltway mentioned on the Pedestrian Bridge thread, for example. That exists because they got DOT grants, but there are still people who think it is a boondoggle and a bad idea, despite extensive planning for a specific purpose. 

We need to do more to convince the local citizens and voters that Public Transit is a good idea much more than we need to "create a plan." The plan exists, the will and the funding does not. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I somewhat disagree with that statement, Spenser. I think that their hands are tied due to politics and funding. They do what they can to do feasibility studies and get the planning in place, but it is never going to happen unless there is more of a push for it from the citizens and money allocated to it. Take the Trail Beltway mentioned on the Pedestrian Bridge thread, for example. That exists because they got DOT grants, but there are still people who think it is a boondoggle and a bad idea, despite extensive planning for a specific purpose. 

We need to do more to convince the local citizens and voters that Public Transit is a good idea much more than we need to "create a plan." The plan exists, the will and the funding does not. 

I have to agree with this.  I actually spoke to some of the MPO folks at a public event a couple of years ago and while they didn't say it outright, they did confirm this in my mind.  Plans and feasibility studies are there, but they don't have money or someone pushing the agenda.

I can't understand (as I've said repeatedly) why people think the ONLY viable transportation solution is to widen roads, but they are very vocal and strong.  We need people to go beyond and see the benefits for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I somewhat disagree with that statement, Spenser. I think that their hands are tied due to politics and funding. They do what they can to do feasibility studies and get the planning in place, but it is never going to happen unless there is more of a push for it from the citizens and money allocated to it. Take the Trail Beltway mentioned on the Pedestrian Bridge thread, for example. That exists because they got DOT grants, but there are still people who think it is a boondoggle and a bad idea, despite extensive planning for a specific purpose. 

We need to do more to convince the local citizens and voters that Public Transit is a good idea much more than we need to "create a plan." The plan exists, the will and the funding does not. 

I don't think the problem lies with the MPO, either. You can't do anything without funding and that needs to start with the county.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.