Paramount Tower, 65-68 stories, approx. 750', 200 units, $240 million, Church Street Park

markhollin

58 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Erik Cole, Metro’s chief resilience officer, said Giarratana would devote $5 million to improve Anne Dallas Douglas Boulevard with green space to compensate for the loss of the pocket park.

Can someone point this out to me? Can't seem to find it on Google

Sad reality of that little jewel of a park is that is completely overtaken by homeless folks in daytime. They have every right to use the park, of course, BUT, the ones who are under the influence, or are otherwise obnoxious or threatening, have made use of the park by many of the general population rather undesirable. 

2 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Can someone point this out to me? Can't seem to find it on Google

Otherwise known as Capitol Boulevard 

Capitol Blvd
Nashville, TN
https://goo.gl/maps/drvW2VukosN2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Erik Cole, Metro’s chief resilience officer, said Giarratana would devote $5 million to improve Anne Dallas Douglas Boulevard with green space to compensate for the loss of the pocket park.

12 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Sad reality of that little jewel of a park is that is completely overtaken by homeless folks in daytime. They have every right to use the park, of course, BUT, the ones who are under the influence, or are otherwise obnoxious or threatening, have made use of the park by many of the general population rather undesirable. 

Otherwise known as Capitol Boulevard 

Capitol Blvd
Nashville, TN
https://goo.gl/maps/drvW2VukosN2

Wild Suggestion here.... Take the 5 million and shut down Capital Blvd (with exceptions for local deliveries and hotel garage access) and create a pedestrian corridor to replace the park. That money could really go a loooooong way in creating a comfortable corridor park here. This would also be a great way to show off the state house from the urban setting instead of peering up from the bottom of the hill in Bi-Centennial.

Edited by Bos2Nash
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Wild Suggestion here.... Take the 5 million and shut down Capital Blvd (with exceptions for local deliveries and hotel garage access) and create a pedestrian corridor to replace the park. That money could really go a loooooong way in creating a comfortable corridor park here. This would also be a great way to show off the state house from the urban setting instead of peering up from the bottom of the hill in Bi-Centennial.

I remember when the Library was built and I read an architectural review (New York Times?) of the then new Library which was favorable, but lamenting the urban landscape between the Library and the State Capitol, in particular the parking garage. Hopefully, some cosmetic improvements can be made some day to rectify that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

Happy it’s in the CBD, going to be a great centerpiece to the skyline. Hope he puts some serious effort into a good crown to make it distinctive. Bummed about the loss of that park though, I’ve always thought it was a wonderful little oasis. 

It's a nice park but has just been misused for year because of its proximity to the library.

I knew as soon as I saw the news flash that I was in for another several months-years of UP Tony-worshiping, fanboy lather.  ; ) 

I saw Tony and Tom Turner from the Downtown Partnership nosing around the area some time ago, so I've been expecting this. I'll miss the park (condescending Metro quotes aside, not everyone who works or lives downtown is afraid of homeless people, who, BTW, will just move around the corner to the "improved" green space). I'll also miss the view from my office (assuming he doesn't buy and demolish my building as part of the package). And I can't say I'm looking forward to yet more blasting, but Church St. is CBD and this is probably a better use for the lot. I'll reserve my judgement until I know more about the plan. 

• Like 2

I also made the footprint larger since you posted the map Mark. It would go all the way back to the TN Municipal building if he gets what I think he will get.

5 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

I knew as soon as I saw the news flash that I was in for another several months-years of UP Tony-worshiping, fanboy lather.  ; ) 

I saw Tony and Tom Turner from the Downtown Partnership nosing around the area some time ago, so I've been expecting this. I'll miss the park (condescending Metro quotes aside, not everyone who works or lives downtown is afraid of homeless people, who, BTW, will just move around the corner to the "improved" green space). I'll also miss the view from my office (assuming he doesn't buy and demolish my building as part of the package). And I can't say I'm looking forward to yet more blasting, but Church St. is CBD and this is probably a better use for the lot. I'll reserve my judgement until I know more about the plan. 

You are the reason this is out as you were the first to see the writing on the wall or the people on the walk in this case. Thanks Cliff.

• Like 2

^^

No question, a tower is definitely a better use for this ‘park’... more drug den and flop house. One is not required to fear the homeless to state the obvious. I, or should I say my dog frequents the park almost daily, and while there are some very friendly regulars, down-and-out on their luck, there is a very seedy element even they wish would move along, 

I doubt very much the green space improvements being mentioned will devolve into a similarly shocking state. The dog walk/park is one clue, and the luxury tower needing to lure buyers is another. 

I agree Todd. I also think that the Homeless Service center and any kind of transitional housing would not have any impact on the  folks that would hang out at the park due to the library as that is where the homeless hangout when they cant go to the Mission.

I think any type of park or public space at that location will end up being the same.

49 minutes ago, wreynol4 said:

Does anyone else think that announcing a tower when 505 is going so so sales wise is a smart move? To me, this is a tower that if built wouldn't be around until 2025 or so, and imo draws slight attention away from 505.   

I wondered that as well. Are potential buyers going to hold out for a 50th floor condo instead of 38th floor condo?  Possibly, if they are on the fence about buying now. However, I don't know if he had a choice.  A land swap would require Metro Council passage, and I don't think he could hide it at that point.  I suspect that there are supporters lining up for this and that legislation will be introduced over the next few months.  Part of the allure of this is that Nashville will have a distinctive skyscraper as well as providing workforce housing. It takes both parts of that to motivate stakeholders. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nashville Cliff said:

I'll miss the park (condescending Metro quotes aside, not everyone who works or lives downtown is afraid of homeless people, who, BTW, will just move around the corner to the "improved" green space). 

I have a feeling many will also frequent Public Square Park as this will be right across the street from the new homeless services facility.

• Like 2