Paramount Tower, 65-68 stories, approx. 750', 200 units, $240 million, Church Street Park

markhollin

The lot (park) is ~11,800 sq ft. For sake of comparison, the parking lot next to the Shelby St bridge (the one SAP does NOT have) is ~9,000 sq ft. 505 is around 18k, if my memory is correct

11.8k would be very close to the "tall skinny" designation. I would speculate there would be a max of 6 levels of underground parking and the rest would be above ground, maybe 25 levels

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

The lot (park) is ~11,800 sq ft. For sake of comparison, the parking lot next to the Shelby St bridge (the one SAP does NOT have) is ~9,000 sq ft. 505 is around 18k, if my memory is correct

11.8k would be very close to the "tall skinny" designation. I would speculate there would be a max of 6 levels of underground parking and the rest would be above ground, maybe 25 levels

25 levels of above ground parking!!?! 

Edited by Pdt2f
  • Confused 2

They will have to address parking. No one will buy/rent without it. The footprint, once you remove the space required for an elevator bank and 2 fire stairs, doesn't leave much room for drive lanes and parking spaces.

They may have to incorporate the adjacent land into a parking structure (as in 505) then the tower just be the park footprint.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

No parking!

Image result for please gif

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

They will have to address parking. No one will buy/rent without it. The footprint, once you remove the space required for an elevator bank and 2 fire stairs, doesn't leave much room for drive lanes and parking spaces.

They may have to incorporate the adjacent land into a parking structure (as in 505) then the tower just be the park footprint.

Not necessarily. Its all about marketing the building. Other cities have successfully completed major projects without parking. The availability of Buses, Bike Share, Ride Share, City Walkability, hell that fact that this is in the heart of the core are all reasons and arguments for no parking. Especially if the building is marketed to some of the executives of these big companies we are luring here. AB just agreed to move their HQ here and be in a tower in the core, perfect people to market towards

Furthermore, if I remember correctly from when I was touring apartment buildings the Cumberland's garage (across the street) is laughably small and quite honestly scary to drive around in. anyone know how big that footprint was/is?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

There is plenty of parking nearby.  I don't think anyone is going to turn down their dream home because they might have to walk a block to get to their car.  It'd be even less of an issue if there were some sort of system that involved a large vehicle coming and picking you up at a designated spot and taking you to your destination... hmm... if only that sort of thing existed.  ;)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

There is plenty of parking nearby.  I don't think anyone is going to turn down their dream home because they might have to walk a block to get to their car.  It'd be even less of an issue if there were some sort of system that involved a large vehicle coming and picking you up at a designated spot and taking you to your destination... hmm... if only that sort of thing existed.  ;)

I dunno, man. I think people that are accustomed to living somewhere that's meets/exceeds a certain level of urbanity wouldn't mind, but not everyone. When I told people how much walking I did when I lived downtown, they looked at me like I was crazy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e-dub said:

I dunno, man. I think people that are accustomed to living somewhere that's meets/exceeds a certain level of urbanity wouldn't mind, but not everyone. When I told people how much walking I did when I lived downtown, they looked at me like I was crazy.

Oh, I'm quite sure you're right that the vast majority of people out there are used to parking directly next to wherever it is they're going.  But that doesn't mean they can't learn to learn a different way of doing things... and if they're intent on living smack dab in the center of a major metropolitan area, then I think the sooner they get used to that idea, the better for them.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CandyAisles said:

I could see a scenario where part of the HOA dues would account for private ride sharing to always be on hand.  Downtown Code requires no parking, fwiw...not sure about MDHA though as it would supersede the downtown code.

I've definitely read about that before, I think the most recent one was in San Francisco. 

I spent around 100 bucks in March with Lyft, that could easily be absorbed into an HOA fee. A inner core resident would get more rides for that amount of money.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm being naive, but  I don't think the 505 would be selling/renting as well as it is if there was no parking on site. 

The footprint is smaller than the  Cumberland, and I still think you can't squeeze many cars on that site. This looks to be a high end 55 floor building. Telling everyone to take Lyft or park a few blocks away might not be a popular selling point. We aren't Chicago, NYC, yet.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think DTC supersedes MDHA.

I shouldn't have said that either supersede the other.  If one says it is required, you have to do it.  The other entity will simply say "We don't require it...someone else might, though."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

The footprint is smaller than the  Cumberland, and I still think you can't squeeze many cars on that site. This looks to be a high end 55 floor building. Telling everyone to take Lyft or park a few blocks away might not be a popular selling point. We aren't Chicago, NYC, yet.

The Cumberland has PLENTY of parking for everyone who lives there (they have assigned spots, no visitors allowed in)

15 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

Maybe I'm being naive, but  I don't think the 505 would be selling/renting as well as it is if there was no parking on site. 

Keep in mind the 505 has a section of short-term-rentals (Glorified air BNB's) that needs "no parking" as well as dozens of corporate condos that have already been purchased (with no included parking)So basically the provided for apartment renters, which has left plenty of space left over as of now!

4 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

The Cumberland has PLENTY of parking for everyone who lives there (they have assigned spots, no visitors allowed in)

Keep in mind the 505 has a section of short-term-rentals (Glorified air BNB's) that needs "no parking" as well as dozens of corporate condos that have already been purchased (with no included parking)So basically the provided for apartment renters, which has left plenty of space left over as of now!

The point I was trying to make is that the park site is perhaps half the size of the Cumberland site. You could squeeze parking onto the park footprint but with elevator banks, stairs and such it would be tight, if even doable.

The short term rentals do decrease the needed parking for the 505, but it is still parking is still there, just being used by the general public. The people that I know, living downtown, are not going to give up their cars - just yet.

When this building opens the mindset may be different. I use Lyft/Uber, but I know a lot of single women who won't. They also aren't going to ride a bus to the supermarket or "hike" to the proposed  Broadway Whole Foods on a 90 degree summer day. I know I'm perhaps too cynical, but we  are a city that still likes its cars.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1