Paramount Tower, 65-68 stories, approx. 750', 200 units, $240 million, Church Street Park

markhollin

43 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

As we have learned over the past couple generations, we should not be looking at initial cost as a measure for building efficiency. If we did, sustainable design and construction would never be a thing.

That is true, initial cost doesn't measure up to the entirety of building efficiency, but it does play some part in it. 

Height of our buildings is a touchy  subject here. Unfortunately, Metro seems to discourage building height here. And that is a question that goes back to Metros previous head of Planning. His name escapes me right now, but this is the guy that wanted everything to stairstep from the river and put a 30 story cap on a lot of the areas in SoBro and in the Gulch.

Some of the restrictions have eased a little but very little. The act of giving bonus height is a little stupid, because the are based on Setback, parking, and architectural design. You let the developers build in a larger area of the core based on what the market demands, not on what they can do on a small parcel of land and what Metro decides they will let them do.

Much of the lack of height is Planning's fault because of the strict height restrictions in place. Until that is changed we will not get many if any tall buildings as the only place with unlimited height is the CDB, which is a very small area, and eve then the FAA steps in due to lack of planning  on Metros location of the airport.

• Thanks 2

I read on e. nashville thread somewhere that  only single unit houses with a yard are allowed as close to downtown as 5 points. To me that seems to be even worse than height regs for same reason Tony Giarratana said why height is good, and that is density. Restricting areas to only single unit housing is probably among the worst things going on.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2018 at 11:46 PM, BnaBreaker said:

Hopefully it's something more along the lines of the bottom tower.  Maybe it's just me, but a residential tower just looks so out of place as a tallest building, unless it looks nothing like a residential tower.  It's the reason something feels off to me about Austin's skyline.

Miami and Austin buildings all look the same. A bunch of windows encased in unattractive frames.

It's good that Nashville avoided that look with The Sobro and 505.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, mattbhadley said:

Tennesseean 'Breaking News' Headline -- Nashville Mayor David Bailey proposes altered Church Street park land swap.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/07/26/nashville-mayor-david-briley-proposes-altered-church-street-park-land-swap/838430002/

Looks like the main change is Metro would now receive another piece of Giarratana owned land in the deal to build a new downtown park along James Robertson Parkway. Metro will use the $2 million that Giarratana will pay for the Church street land to build the park on the James Robertson Parkway land. 

Sounds like a win-win to me, and would alleviate the concerns of citizens thinking the city is giving away too much. 

Edited by henburg

22 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Where is the chunk of land at on James Robertson?

505 2nd Ave. North,  Homeless Service Center, July 26, 2018, map.png

With the size of this lot (notated with the red marker), I'm guessing the Homeless Service Center that includes 100 housing units is going to be at least 10 stories tall.  The brown patch to the left is the new Criminal Justice Center.  The Fire Dept. is to the right.

505 2nd Ave. North, site map.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, nativetenn said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/08/07/controversial-land-swap-with-tony-giarratana.amp.html

From the article:

"Under the proposed deal, Metro would give Giarratana the city-owned Church Street Park, at 600 Church St., in exchange for a parking lot Giarratana owns at 301 James Robertson Parkway. As part of the deal, Giarratana would commit $2 million to turn that site into a park and use city funds to build a services center and apartment building for the homeless on Metro-owned land at the intersection of Second Avenue and Gay Street."

I preface the following comment with this disclaimer:  I think the prospect of having a new, well developed, tower in the city is great!

I tend to think about how much the city could've gotten out of the market for this parcel. Hindsight will say that it is possible this land could've been a public bid that brought in more than the 2 millions cash + other services that Tony is using as compensation. Then again this does seem to be a trend for the city, the land for 5th and Broadway was sold for a mere 5 million for 6 acres of MUCH more prime land. I'm curious as to how the city assess the assets that they are selling.

14 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

I preface the following comment with this disclaimer:  I think the prospect of having a new, well developed, tower in the city is great!

I tend to think about how much the city could've gotten out of the market for this parcel. Hindsight will say that it is possible this land could've been a public bid that brought in more than the 2 millions cash + other services that Tony is using as compensation. Then again this does seem to be a trend for the city, the land for 5th and Broadway was sold for a mere 5 million for 6 acres of MUCH more prime land. I'm curious as to how the city assess the assets that they are selling.

From the article: 

Since the deal's initial unveiling in April, city officials have touted appraisals done of both the Church Street Park and Giarratana's parking lot in defense of the plan. Those appraisals value the Church Street park land at $3.65 million, and the 301 James Robertson Parkway site at $3.37 million. City officials have argued that the appraisals, done in November by Nashville's Neiman-Ross Associates Inc., show the equally-sized properties are similar in value.

So, using those numbers (valuations provided by Metro), the city transfers Church St. parcel valued at $3.65M in exchange for (i) JRP parcel valued at $3.37M, plus (ii) $2M from Giarratana to build new park on JPR land.     Of course, the accuracy of Metro's valuations is what CM Mendes and others on Council are questioning.   

Mendes, however, has criticized that argument, since Giarratana has already expressed his desire to build the city's tallest tower on the Church Street site if the deal is approved. Mendes believes using the income method — which is what his new legislation would require — would result in a higher appraisal of the land's value. Currently, the appraisals for the proposed park swap use a "comparable sales" approach, meaning the sites' values are pegged to recently sold properties with similar characteristics.

"My position is that, if the seller is the government and the government and the buyer know that the government is going to radically increase the density on the property in a way that the comparable sales do not reflect, you really need to make an effort at the income approach in order to see what the land is worth to the buyer," Mendes wrote in an email to the NBJ, after reviewing copies of the appraisals.

• Thanks 1