Paramount Tower, 65-68 stories, approx. 750', 200 units, $240 million, Church Street Park

markhollin

3 hours ago, Skyscrapergeek said:

At 60 floors it shouldn’t be a problem to reach 700’.  The Independent in Austin, now under construction, will be 58 floors and 690’.  The Austonian is 56 floors and 683’. 

Yeah...but this is Nashville.  We'll find a way to build a 60 story, 300' perfect rectangle.  5' ceilings are the new "thing." 

• Like 1

I've always wanted a building developed that had a driving fleet as a part of the HOA or rental rate occupants paid.   Press a button in your 60th floor condo to summon a driver who is waiting to pick you up at street level?  Rich people would dig that, no?

• Like 4

Considering how many of our recent buildings have 30%+ of their floors dedicated to parking, the downside of having no parking is that there will be 30%+ more finished space to fill before financiers will consider it viable.

I love the idea of moving away from our dedication to gratuitous parking everywhere, but we need to be realistic in that it won't automatically result in taller buildings. If anything, it is more likely to yield the opposite.

• Like 4

I was wondering how he would address the parking issue.  Seems like a plausible idea to do valet parking given the constraints of the property.  But, are Nashvillians ready to have to call for their car every time they are ready to go out beyond the downtown area?  He may have 18K spaces in downtown but are there enough close to that property that will support the requirement for each unit and not take away too many spaces for the general public.

As an alternative he could do underground valet parking in the building that is accessible by car elevators, no ramps required, just an entry point that is about two car lengths deep.  I recently visited NYC and reserved parking for the weekend in a garage that was set up that way.  I left my phone in the car and so when I asked if I could get it, the parking attendant walked me to one of two car elevators, we went down two levels (there were three), we walked to my car which was on the lower rung of a two level parking lift.  I would say there were about 10 of those lifts on the level my car was parked on in addition to a handful of regular spaces along one wall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I was wondering how he would address the parking issue.  Seems like a plausible idea to do valet parking given the constraints of the property.  But, are Nashvillians ready to have to call for their car every time they are ready to go out beyond the downtown area?  He may have 18K spaces in downtown but are there enough close to that property that will support the requirement for each unit and not take away too many spaces for the general public.

As an alternative he could do underground valet parking in the building that is accessible by car elevators, no ramps required, just an entry point that is about two car lengths deep.  I recently visited NYC and reserved parking for the weekend in a garage that was set up that way.  I left my phone in the car and so when I asked if I could get it, the parking attendant walked me to one of two car elevators, we went down two levels (there were three), we walked to my car which was on the lower rung of a two level parking lift.  I would say there were about 10 of those lifts on the level my car was parked on in addition to a handful of regular spaces along one wall.

Given what these units will likely cost I'd say the average owner won't be buying a primary residence and this won't be an issue. I do think there are a growing number of people who live and work downtown and can forgo a car, or at least not have it as readily available but I don't think it is probably a large number.

• Like 1

Ride share services and businesses such as Zipcar make it much easier to deal with urban life without the cost and inconvenience of car ownership. Lack of a parking garage shouldn’t be a substantial hindrance to marketing the units in this building.

Edited by donNdonelson2
Correction
  • Like 3