Paramount Tower, 65-68 stories, approx. 750', 200 units, $240 million, Church Street Park

markhollin

1 hour ago, 12Mouth said:

We also regularly promote tourism/tourist needs above residents.

What!!!!!!??????

What kind of statement is that? 

Look here guy, we can't have that kind of looking out for regular working citizens like that. It's so outrageous to look out for the working people.

This city is for the people who wake up everyday with a craving for craaaaaaaaft beeeeeeeeer.

You know what they say on this forum? If you and the peons don't like change, if you and the peons don't like growth.............LEEEEEAAAAAAVE!!!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ingram said:

You know what they say on this forum? If you and the peons don't like change, if you and the peons don't like growth.............LEEEEEAAAAAAVE!!!!!

Which forum? This one? I have never read a single post on the Nashville board that said anything like that.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, chris holman said:

Love the idea he can still build his tower with this plan and have urban interactive green space as well

I like this concept too.  I don't really know the details of this situation like a lot of you guys do, would the tower he wants to build border this park?  I'm assuming it would replace the smaller existing park where all of the controversy has stalled this project. 

11 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

In the first rendering it would have been nice to see how the base of his building would fit into the design instead of leaving the wall space empty that backs the current park.

But kudos for going beyond his original plan to show his commitment to appeal to those who want to see the "pocket" park stay.

Agreed, if there was some serious street activation at the base of the tower that any and everyone could use, that would help a lot too I think.

• Like 4

The Tennessean's coverage of Giarratana's proposal for Anne Dallas Dudley Park concept, as well as how the opposition is looking at it. Plus  another rendering.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/08/15/downtown-nashville-investor-presents-competing-plan-historic-corridor-tony-giarratana/2019285001/

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 8.33.02 AM.png

• Like 4

Funny that the Tennessean mentioned NYC's Bryant Park because when I saw Tony's renderings for ADDB, I was thinking how it would be cool to change Legislative Plaza into more of a park setting like Bryant Park.  It's become a great gathering place for locals and some tourists.  The cool thing is how they change it up throughout the year.  It can go from being primarily a big green space to an ice skating and several local vendor shops in the winter.   ADDB is a bit too small to accomplish all of what they do in Bryant Park throughout the year.  But if Legislative Plaza is incorporated into a redesign, it would make for a great space for workers and residents in downtown.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, subkyle said:

Tony has great vision. He has really gotten out in front of the issues facing him. This idea of basically moving the park around the corner and into unused space addresses his opponents issues. Can someone please tell me why someone would be opposed to his plan now?

Some will still see as taking a park and trading it to a developer. These renderings could also be viewed as "expanding" the existing park rather than erasing it. I'd like to see a building this tall get built, but pick another site and move on.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, subkyle said:

Can someone please tell me why someone would be opposed to his plan now?

They will oppose this because it will be interpreted as a strategy to circumvent their opposition to the tower by removing one of their battle cries "we need more green space downtown".  Think about it.  Tony has no real reason or business suggesting street modifications and new parks for downtown.  I mean, any citizen can propose things like this, but Tony's submission is clearly aimed at paving the way for his tower to occupy the church street park.  The opponents are smart enough to realize this, and their main goal is not to improve the city, but to oppose someone who they perceive as an evil, rich, developer.  That's why I agree with Nash_12south who said Tony needs to write this off and select a new spot for his tower.  This is a lost cause now, in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

Some will still see as taking a park and trading it to a developer. These renderings could also be viewed as "expanding" the existing park rather than erasing it. I'd like to see a building this tall get built, but pick another site and move on.

Is there other viable options for him to build  this that has zero height restrictions? I’m really not sure.  People can come up with some back assward arguments, but taking emotion out of the equation I’m looking for a sensible opposition to this deal. He would be creating a larger park right next door, and utilizing a space that is truly not being utilized at all. In fact, it took this news for me to even realize the opportunity for this land. Kudos to Tony on that. 

Mira easy to say just move on when you haven’t significant money and time on a deal. A lot of deals that materialize in my business don’t haunt at the first No.

• Like 2

I don’t have any opposition to this deal. I think it’s a fair trade too. But, the negativity that this deal generated hurt our current fairly pro development mayor and may inadvertently help another not so friendly to developers mayor get elected. Cooper may be secretly pro development but he’ll have a hard time supporting this in a first administration. I wonder how much Tony is giving both candidates. This site seems to worship Tony. I admire him too. I just try to give a little of the other side.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I'll add that the site of this new park would be site Tony would need for staging the construction of his new tower, meaning there would be no park for 2-3 years. I think Tony likes creating drama for his projects. 

That's a great point. Use Anne Dallas Dudley Boulevard as a staging area during construction and then turn it into a park when done. And that would probably be cheaper than an off site staging area

@UTgrad09, well said

15 hours ago, titanhog said:

But when it comes to Metro...it wasn't like they chose the "highest bidder" in regards to 5th & Broad or for the Trolley Barn area land.  For all we know, they already had someone picked out who would get the land and just went through with the process to seem "kosher."   At least with Tony, they're not going to waste our time with another "contest" to see who gets the land.

Based on the designs released for the Trolley Barn area proposals, the only thing that makes sense is the "winning" bid was picked long before.  What a charade.

• Like 4

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:09 PM, UTgrad09 said:

Metro forced his hand in developing 505 because they wanted a garage (and they were planning to use eminent domain)

This is the first I heard of that.  Eminent domain on what grounds?  I really doubt that eminent domain could be used to take a private parking lot from a private business and use the land to build a public parking lot.  On the face of the issue it sounds ridiculous.  But if they truly were planning that, then we have much larger problems with corruption in this town that I first imagined!