Metro Supportive Housing/Homeless Center, 600 2nd Ave North, 5 stories, 88 units

markhollin

Great use of that little plot of land! Pretty great location for whoever ends up living there, directly next to the bus terminal (especially if the transit referendum passes). Good to see some more density on the north side of downtown, and great to see another surface lot get better usage. 

• Like 2

Only sad thing is losing Church St park, perfect location for a nice urban park, but it's been unusable for years now, so...  Hopefully this can get some needed services to people and create 2 very cool, densifying buildings.  This  homeless housing building is in a spot I hadn't even noticed, I literally never conceived of a building there.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Critics decry cost and process for the $25 million plan involved in the 301 James project:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/04/30/nashville-affordable-housing-downtown-homeless-mayor-david-briley-tennessee/554003002/

Critics being other developers that want money. I understand their frustration at not being able to use other vacant lots in town, and I think we should definitely look at using those lots to try to expand the supply of housing. 

If I understand the article correctly, their basic complaint is that ~100 units isn't enough and that we should be doing more with that amount of money. I can sympathize with the concern, but this situation reminds me a lot of the current MLS stadium deal where it seems that people mostly have issue with the city "giving" things to developers. To me, I'd like to see many more deals like these. Developers are going to build here regardless, so why not encourage them while also making sure that they return the favor to the city in some way? 100 new units obviously won't solve our homelessness issue, but it's a big step in the right direction. 

• Like 3

I don't love the idea of housing right by that intersection because it gets so blocked up during evening rush hour on both sides.  Maybe this would be a good time to try to rework that traffic pattern so that people don't get run over.  Could car traffic be rerouted/prohibited leaving the stretch around the Music City Center only for bus traffic, at least at rush hour?  Otherwise, very cool plan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, henburg said:

100 new units obviously won't solve our homelessness issue, but it's a big step in the right direction. 

I thought it was 100 units for workforce housing but then also a homeless assistance center? Are they providing housing to the homeless or to those who need affordable housing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I thought it was 100 units for workforce housing but then also a homeless assistance center? Are they providing housing to the homeless or to those who need affordable housing?

After rereading it, it looks like you're right. That's my bad. 

I think that is a fuzzy line that no one seems to know the answer to. I have heard affordable and I have heard transitional. In my opinion it will be a mistake to do both in the same building. If I were looking for an apartment and I qualified for one there I do not want a homeless services center in the lobby of my building. The police will just have to move from the park to the building. All you are doing is moving the problem and nothing of this nature should be downtown period. 

If the rescue mission is not going to move from their current location, then why do they have that big ass parking lot at their property. Seems like a great place to build transitional housing with a homeless services center.

• 1 month later...

I really doubt this will be done as Metro Council seemingly is wanting  a lot more for the Pocket Park. Like 10 x's the amount …. Good luck Metro. The property will be full of Homeless folks and dog crap forever. 

They need to look at this serious offer, to get rid of the problem they have there. 

Sorry Bret, but you are wrong here.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Metro's future Permanent Supportive Housing and Downtown Homeless Service Center appears to be moving forward at 505 2nd Ave. North, just across Gay St. from the new Criminal Justice Center.  The small lot will feature a multi-story structure (still no official height or renderings) that will include at least 100 permanent housing units, and a homeless service center that will feature on-site counseling, basic hygiene and health services, and case management and housing navigation.

Bell & Assoc. will serve as the contractor; Moody-Nolan as project architect, Catalyst for civil engineering; EMC, structural engineering; ICT, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing engineering; SRMC, security consultants; and EDGE, landscape design.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21088702/peabody-plaza-lands-major-tenant

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Metro Homelss Center, 505 2nd Ave NOrth, Sept 24, 2019, site map.png

• Like 4