LaQuinta Inn, 11 stories, 315 Interstate Dr, next to I-24

markhollin

Ray Dayal is eyeing a La Quinta Inn  & Suites at 303 Interstate Drive, to sit on 1/2 acre plot just to the south of  his Quality Inn near Nissan Stadium. No word yet on how many rooms, or if a restaurant might be part of the plans.

He hopes to go before the Metro Board of Zoning Appeals on June 7 for special exemptions on height. 

Dayal hopes to begin construction in the fall.  A 15- to 18-month construction timeline is expected.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21002423/stadiumarea-site-eyed-for-11story-hotel

LaQuinta Inn, Stadium, April 26, 2018, render 1.png

LaQuinta Inn, Stadium, April 26, 2018, render 2.png

LaQuinta Inn, Stadium, April 26, 2018, render 3.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 5.09.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 5.09.54 PM.png

• Like 2

This hideous design notwithstanding, but why in hell does it take a "height exemption" for an 11-story building next to an Interstate, a quarter-mile from downtown?  Geesh, I've never seen a more height-phobic city.  This thing would go up anywhere w'in a half-mile of Chattanooga's downtown with no "exemption" needed. Silly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

This hideous design notwithstanding, but why in hell does it take a "height exemption" for an 11-story building next to an Interstate, a quarter-mile from downtown?  Geesh, I've never seen a more height-phobic city.  This thing would go up anywhere w'in a half-mile of Chattanooga's downtown with no "exemption" needed. Silly.

It's so absurd.  There shouldn't be a height restriction anywhere within the inner loop south of the capitol building, perhaps with the exception of the small area surrounding Rutledge Hill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• smeagolsfree changed the title to LaQunita Inn, 11 stories, 315 Interstate Dr, next to I-24
6 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Could be worse. Nashville could have Shadow Laws.....

• 1 month later...

The Metro Board of Zoning Appeals on Thursday granted a skyplane variance special exception for this proposed hotel. The applicants must return to the MDHA's East Bank Redevelopment District Design committee at an upcoming meeting for additional approvals regarding signage, parking garage screening, landscaping and other details before a building permit can be issued.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21008550/bza-oks-variance-for-la-quinta-inn-project

• Like 2

It actually wouldn't be bad if all along the interstate (on the stadium side) we started to see some updated hotels and restaurants that cater more to travelers and people who can't quite afford to stay in the core.  Some hotels like Hyatt Place,  Holiday Inn Express, Courtyard by Marriott, Hampton Inn, etc...with a price point under $200 and more of your "stop and stay" than limited full service like in the core.  Add in some restaurants like Chilis, Applebees, etc.   Would fill a need and also improve the area a bit more (if it were updated).

It would only be right along the interstate between Shelby and Spring Street and no closer to downtown than S. 1st Street.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I deserve it. Problem for me... I get the insta messages on my phone and fumble enough with it w/o opening up additional windows. It's a great map. But I really had no doubt that this was going in the Gerst spot. 

Don't worry---I bet we'll hear an announcement about a different hotel on the Gerst site soon enough.  ; )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...