For more than a year, the biggest question surrounding County Square has been which one of six developers would be chosen and what would be included in the redevelopment described by Greenville County officials as “game-changing” and “evolutionary.”

That question is now answered.

Read full story on GreenvilleJournal.com: https://greenvillejournal.com/2018/04/26/developer-chosen-for-1-billion-county-square-redevelopment/

04-e1524750766604-1068x699 (1).jpg

I think the way the have rerouting down Thruston and dead ending at August is basically the same mess we have today.  We just trade the cluster at Harris and Augusta we have today for a cluster at Thruston and August.   It needs to be reworked somehow to meet up with Dunbar or Vardry with a traffic light to make it an efficient intersection.      

Edited by chuckyvt

7 minutes ago, chuckyvt said:

I think the way the have rerouting down Thruston and dead ending at August is basically the same mess we have today.  We just trade the cluster at Harris and Augusta we have today for a cluster at Thruston and August.   It needs to be reworked somehow to meet up with Dunbar or Vardry with a traffic light to make it an efficient intersection.      

That doesn't bother me. They can address the intersection with Augusta with other measures.

The important thing to me is that they're routing the busiest/widest street further away, bringing more land area into a connected, pedestrian friendly zone. 

28 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

That doesn't bother me. They can address the intersection with Augusta with other measures.

The important thing to me is that they're routing the busiest/widest street further away, bringing more land area into a connected, pedestrian friendly zone. 

Traffic flow, pedestrian access, aesthetics, it's all important, you don't get to pick just one.   Due to poor road layout and planning, the traffic flow in this area is already more than the side streets can handle, and this development will double the daily volume of traffic.   

1 hour ago, chuckyvt said:

should be easy since the vacant housing authority site is on the one side of Thruston.  They could the line it up with Dunbar St.

4 hours ago, All About Greenville said:

04-e1524750766604-1068x699 (1).jpg

What exactly are those people walking around on the roof going to be able to see?? Even with the apparent pitch, it's seems like an odd perspective.

Having said that, I like the look of the building. It reminds me of a couple of buildings here in uptown CLT occupied by Johnson & Wales, with a canopy covering the open space in between--only this is much nicer.

Well, my first thought is just another bunch of 3-5 story buildings, regardless of architecture. Someone said they with the price of the property, they couldn't afford to put 3-5 story buildings, well I guess they can. Not impressed, but I will have to see more. Was hoping for a little height on this great piece of property but not surprised that there isn't any.

Edited by apaladin

7 hours ago, apaladin said:

Well, my first thought is just another bunch of 3-5 story buildings, regardless of architecture. Someone said they with the price of the property, they couldn't afford to put 3-5 story buildings, well I guess they can. Not impressed, but I will have to see more. Was hoping for a little height on this great piece of property but not surprised that there isn't any.

It’s been known for a long time that the chances of seeing any buildings over six stories tall on this site were slim to none. Still should have some good height and visibility being on that hill. 

9 hours ago, apaladin said:

I wouldn't have minded more height, but I know someone on the council and they told me it would be more density than height. That being said, I think this is very nice and adds on to the urban feel of Greenville in a big way. DC doesn't have much height, but you definitely know it's a big city when you go there. I don't mind the mid-rise density. That signature tower you're looking for will come eventually. Just enjoy the ride.

Groundbreaking in 12-18 months. 10 year build out. $720 million in construction costs. $22.5 million annual tax revenue. 5,500 permanent workers on site. Three million square feet. $1.1 billion economic impact. 

And you all are worried about height. LOL.  You’ll get that with Camperdown and the new federal courthouse anyways. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

Density, with no surface parking lots, will be perfect for that location. Looks like a great start. We'll have the best county building in the state (region?). 

RocaPoint Partners/The Georgetown Company have a good track record? 

From Greenville News article: "The public health department, family court, Department of Motor Vehicles and state departments of juvenile justice and social services will be moved."
Seems like county / developer want lower income users to go somewhere else? I wonder where they'll put these services? 

19 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

The rendering is not showing  the full-time window washers continually cleaning all that glass....

At least we'll be able to actually watch "our tax dollars at work" - literally. 

12 hours ago, Exile said:

What exactly are those people walking around on the roof going to be able to see?? Even with the apparent pitch, it's seems like an odd perspective.

Having said that, I like the look of the building. It reminds me of a couple of buildings here in uptown CLT occupied by Johnson & Wales, with a canopy covering the open space in between--only this is much nicer.

Going off the renderings, the building appears to be slightly taller than SouthRidge across the street. I used to live there and you can easily see all of the downtown skyline from the top floor. 

There doesn't appear to be any contour to the land--the whole thing is rendered as if it's built on level ground. I remember some steep spots in that parking lot around the tire store on the corner--and wasn't there a Hess station there at one time?

I think it would be pretty cool if they graded that land at the intersection of Church and U. Ridge so that the bases of buildings there were higher than the intersection--unlike the way they've graded down for that new business school at Clemson :(

2 hours ago, vistatiger said:

Who is going to be on the top floor or have access to the roof ? Probably not many. I just hope it doesn't block the views of DT from that intersection. Not a big fan of that huge overhang/canopy.

From the rendering a restaurant type business could be located up there...hope a Starbucks does not become part of the  equation.

Edited by cabelagent

You have to remember that besides the county square building, everything else on site is conceptual and will change based on market conditions and who wants to locate here. This could lead to taller or shorter buildings, site plan layout changes, less or more square footage, etc

Edited by gman430