9 hours ago, FUgrad02 said:

RocaPoint Partners/The Georgetown Company have a good track record? 

RocaPoint is currently developing the 135-acre multi-use "Halcyon" development in Forsyth County, Georgia, which opened last month, as well as the 17-acre Beltline Project in Atlanta's Grant Park neighborhood. Its parent company is The Georgetown Company, a New York-based firm that does major developments all over the country.  You do not have to worry about financing with them. 

Edited by gman430

Some great posts in this thread; great discussion! I gotta tell you, it's hard not to be excited about this development for us urban geeks. This size and scope of a development is notable for any city, but truly will be transformational for Greenville. Greenville is on an unprecedented boom and the growth of DT is incredible. It's footprint has basically doubled over the past 14 years since the park opened,  and by the time this is completed, along with the new park, it will pretty much double again. Incredible amount of development, I hope we can withstand all of it without losing what makes it great.

23 hours ago, apaladin said:

Well, my first thought is just another bunch of 3-5 story buildings, regardless of architecture. Someone said they with the price of the property, they couldn't afford to put 3-5 story buildings, well I guess they can. Not impressed, but I will have to see more. Was hoping for a little height on this great piece of property but not surprised that there isn't any.

I sympathize, but as others have said, we kinda knew much height was unlikely here based on prior studies and the direction DT is going. Personally, I would have liked to have seen a building of about 20 stories, another one about 15, and the rest varying heights b/w 4-6 and 6-10. BUT, we knew that was not in cards. Like you, I'm disappointed the city didn't use this opportunity to impact the "skyline," but this is going to change DT regardless and, as Moten so eloquently put me in my place, "it is what it is!" If done correctly, this will still be transformational.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 4:09 PM, GvilleSC said:

WOW! That building is gorgeous. Secondly, I love the re-routing of University Ridge. 

There's a lot to like about it; very open, something different, nice sharp look. I would tweak a few things, but not bad. Per the article, it sounds like this is still considered conceptual, didn't it say they will be designing it over the next 18 months?

23 hours ago, Spero said:

This is Greenville not New York. If I could wish away one thing here it would be whining about height. Charleston has no height (self-imposed) and somehow they’re doing swell

To be fair, I'm sure you understand no one is saying Greenville should be building the Freedom Tower over there, but there is a lot of room between New York and Charleston. Greenville has also done very well without height, but there's nothing wrong with some people wanting to see a little. I'm sure Greenville could have developed some of these projects into 2-3 buildings over 30 stories around DT, and maybe a couple 15-20 ones for layering, but that's not what is happening and we're doing fine. Some people are ok with the low rise horizontal growth we've seen, some would like to see a little vertical as well. Without different viewpoints there's nothing to discuss.

13 hours ago, gman430 said:

And you all are worried about height. LOL.  You’ll get that with Camperdown and the new federal courthouse anyways. 

Unless one doesn't consider Camperdown and an 8-10 story courthouse to be "height." I don't personally, but I hope to see that signature high rise in my lifetime.:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I sympathize, but as others have said, we kinda knew much height was unlikely here based on prior studies and the direction DT is going. Personally, I would have liked to have seen a building of about 20 stories, another one about 15, and the rest varying heights b/w 4-6 and 6-10. BUT, we knew that was not in cards. Like you, I'm disappointed the city didn't use this opportunity to impact the "skyline," but this is going to change DT regardless and, as Moten so eloquently put me in my place, "it is what it is!" If done correctly, this will still be transformational.

Well, it is right? Lol. I just enjoy the ride. 

Rome doesn't have much height either; or, more comparable in size to Greenville, Florence (Firenze) has no height at all (except the domes and campaniles). All to say that I really like the more European manner of downtown's development. This seems to continue that, more or less.

1 hour ago, ausrutherford said:

Of course, however, that PD was arranged with the community around it.

The community would still not want to diverge away too much. 

If a corporate headquarters wanted to locate there with a new 20+ story building and create hundreds of new jobs, the city would bend over backwards for them. 

One of the rendering shows what looks to be  hotel that looks about 8 or more stories tall. I realize it is just for illustration purposes, but I would expect the buyer would have flexibility to go that high, at least in the middle of the parcel.  

The height limit never made sense in the first place.  Many of the people that participated in the  original master plan have probably moved away or passed on by now. 

18 hours ago, gman430 said:

If a corporate headquarters wanted to locate there with a new 20+ story building and create hundreds of new jobs, the city would bend over backwards for them. 

All depends on the circumstances, of course. Just pointing out that the current limit is 6 stories. 

My guess if someone wanted to go higher, the City would want more open space in return (in a way, treating it as FAR).

That PD was passed a long time ago, we have different planning staff, different planning commission, different neighborhood residents, different city council, and different board of zoning appeals, and the PD as it stands is flawed I don't see it holding all that much weight in the approval process of this project.  Yes it is unique as its ordinance, but there is just too much money involved to think the city want do want they need to help this project along. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jet-set said:

https://greenvillejournal.com/more-details-released-on-redevelopment-of-county-square/

More details. 

Max height for the development capped at 10 stories. 

Also, 3.5 is not a ratio GJ. 

10 stories on that hill will still look good especially if it’s office space which has higher floor plates than apartments or hotels. 

12 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

It's a neat-looking building now, but like many things being built downtown these days, how will it look in 20-30 years?

Couldn't we do a survey of "the world's most timeless urban areas" and clone one of their architectural styles?

Yes, just like Las Vegas. Timeless, classy, real top-notch

• Haha 1

There is nothing wrong with most of Greenville's current buildings to me as far as being outdated. Since the Landmark building is the current tallest, I'd like to see it get a makeover. It's kind of dated. I'm sure this project will impress when it's done.

Edited by motonenterprises

3 hours ago, Spero said:

Yes, just like Las Vegas. Timeless, classy, real top-notch

Like much of central London’s Georgian, Edwardian and Victorian architecture-buildings have lasted hundreds of years and are still beautiful.  Or even the Poinsett Hotel it the Greenville water works building, which also have timeless styles.