Charlotte economy...

Scribe

27 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

If that were to happen it would benefit the State as a whole.  Hopefully everyone would realize that and be happy for Raleigh.

This.  

For starters, that nonsense about transportation funding would be quickly taken care of.   I also think Raleigh growing to similar size an influence is great for the state.  Even as a conservative who doesn't belong to a party, I don't like the fact the state is 'run' by Kings Mountain and Rockingham.  

• Like 3

The news out here in Seattle was talking about top destinations for HQ2 to go yesterday, in regards to health of housing market.  It factored in everything from COL to schools to parks/greenways, etc.  Consider how BRUTAL the housing market is here and the fact that real estate costs and homelessness dominate the local news cycle (and the blame generally is thrown on Amazon), it's easy to understand why it's a point of focus.

Raleigh was the winner.  FWIW.

• Like 1

I wonder how much the cost of living is factoring into Raleigh.   Maybe in internal company discussions.

A cost of living calculator says if you're making $100k in Seattle you need to make $106k in Washington-Arlington-Alexandria.   You only need $64.5k for Raleigh.    That's a almost 50% raise for someone who takes a transfer.   If they are in the right housing situation they could in theory cash out of Seattle > pay in cash for something similar in Raleigh just on the profits.   That's life-changing.  

Edited by cjd5050
  • Like 1

I think the new Apple campus is a great fit for the Raleigh Durham area and I hope they get it .  As for Amazon not as good a fit they want an urban campus and Raleigh has lots of restrictions on where you can build highrises.  I still think Amazon is Atlanta or Northern VA's to lose.  those are my top picks.  

• Like 2

Speaking of Amazon looks like they are looking at building a 2 Million sq ft warehouse near the airport which would be the largest in NC and another 1 Million sq ft warehouse in Kernersville which is between Greensboro and Winston Salem. 

http://businessnc.com/amazon-mulls-another-massive-warehouse-near-charlotte-airport/

that is in addition to the 500K sq ft warehouse on Old Dowd, 100K sq ft on Wilkinson, 200K sq ft in Concord and the 1 Million sq ft under construction in Kannapolis.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Speaking of Amazon looks like they are looking at building a 2 Million sq ft warehouse near the airport which would be the largest in NC and another 1 Million sq ft warehouse in Kernersville which is between Greensboro and Winston Salem. 

http://businessnc.com/amazon-mulls-another-massive-warehouse-near-charlotte-airport/

that is in addition to the 500K sq ft warehouse on Old Dowd, 100K sq ft on Wilkinson, 200K sq ft in Concord and the 1 Million sq ft under construction in Kannapolis.  

I wonder if this portends an expansion of the Prime Air ops.  It sounds as if this would be built on airport property.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ah59396 said:

I actually think Raleigh has got a really damn good shot at it.  Initially I had them way down the list but it's surged into my top five with Metro DC, Toronto, Boston and Atlanta.

I’m the opposite. I though Raleigh was up there now I think it’s quite far down the list. 

Especiallt since they marked RTP off their list in favor of downtown Raleigh because they prefer a more urban location. 

1 hour ago, cjd5050 said:

I wonder how much the cost of living is factoring into Raleigh.   Maybe in internal company discussions.

A cost of living calculator says if you're making $100k in Seattle you need to make $106k in Washington-Arlington-Alexandria.   You only need $64.5k for Raleigh.    That's a almost 50% raise for someone who takes a transfer.   If they are in the right housing situation they could in theory cash out of Seattle > pay in cash for something similar in Raleigh just on the profits.   That's life-changing.  

Tons of people doing that in Seattle right now.  Houses they bought for $300k in the late 2000's and selling them now for $850k.

Jumping ship to Arizona, Oregon and Spokane/Idaho.  I think there are many who would go.

38 minutes ago, Dale said:

Somebody said that Bezos owned a house in DC and owns the Post. That translated into "All signs point to DC." Others then began to report that as news. Ergo: Amazon to DC.

Plus it meets every wicket on the list.  With arguably the most extensive metro system outside NYC and a fairly extensive commuter rail network they have transit covered.  With Georgetown, GWU, UMD, GMU, and Johns Hopkins in nearby Baltimore as well as a host of secondary universities and colleges they have the requisite university system.  They have three major international airports nearby (FWIW, BWI is one of the largest Prime Air operations outside Cincy, if not the largest).  Montgomery County, NOVA and D.C. all made the top 20 list-it was the only metro area to have three different areas chosen in the top 20.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cltbwimob said:

Plus it meets every wicket on the list.  With arguably the most extensive metro system outside NYC and a fairly extensive commuter rail network they have transit covered.  With Georgetown, GWU, UMD, GMU, and Johns Hopkins in nearby Baltimore as well as a host of secondary universities and colleges they have the requisite university system.  They have three major international airports nearby (FWIW, BWI is one of the largest Prime Air operations outside Cincy, if not the largest).  Montgomery County, NOVA and D.C. all made the top 20 list-it was the only metro area to have three different areas chosen in the top 20.

Except that rail transit is obviously not a priority for Amazon. Wasn't for the hipper-than-hip Alliance Bernstein either. 95% of Amazonians will own cars and Raleigh is tons easier to get around than DC.  Finally, educationally, Raleigh can run with DC. Oh, and at last check, most readers in the US.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

Except that rail transit is obviously not a priority for Amazon. Wasn't for the hipper-than-hip Alliance Bernstein either. 95% of Amazonians will own cars and Raleigh is tons easier to get around than DC.  Finally, educationally, Raleigh can run with DC. Oh, and at last check, most readers in the US.

In Amazon's RFP it specifically mentioned transit as a priority, although I will agree that their short list suggests that it wasn't their top priority.  It also mentioned air service.  Raleigh has fairly extensive air service but nowhere near that of greater D.C.  The quality of Raleigh's universities is roughly on par with DC's but I doubt the number of graduates pumped out of the Triangle is anywhere close to the number pumped out of the national capital region.  Also, DC is the nations capital and sandwiched between two state capitals, so metro D.C. is the political epicenter of the nation and the free world.  And with all the things Amazon finds itself in the news cycle for, I am certain proximity to political centers is a consideration.

Not really sure what Alliance Bernstein has to do with anything.

1 hour ago, ah59396 said:

Tons of people doing that in Seattle right now.  Houses they bought for $300k in the late 2000's and selling them now for $850k.

Jumping ship to Arizona, Oregon and Spokane/Idaho.  I think there are many who would go.

This is the only reason I wanted Amazon to come here. 

I think Amazon is supposed to be releasing a finalist group of cities very soon.

I don't think Raleigh has the population to support Amazon. 60k jobs in a city with only 400k population (yeah I know the CSA is much larger) doesn't make sense. But aside from that, Raleigh makes a lot of sense. Hip, young city with huge potential to be molded by Amazon which is something I think they would like. 

In the Pre-Cambrian period of the early 1990's Larry Johnson was here for the Hornets. The next year the Hornets drafted Alonzo Mourning. It was reported that Mourning asked Johnson what there was to do in Charlotte. (Charlotte was an unknown quantity to young men at that time. Now too) The response reported from Johnson was "Ain't nothin' to do here but live!" I read that as a strongly positive comment.

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

Charlotte Population is growing (as well as the local economy) and everyone knows it.  How important is a growing population in relation to the economy as a whole?  Is it the chicken or the egg question of which is more important first?  Also - based on the data/list I attached (for you mathematicians) which cities will charlotte likely overtake in population totals by the 2020 Census?

IMG_0425.PNG