Charlotte economy...

Scribe

In terms of things that have fallen off the radar, did I completely miss it or has the ACC HQ potential relocation gone quiet?

This was what SI said about the relocation in mid April:

Last week, the conference met to discuss the top three cities’ [Charlotte, Orlando and Greensboro] proposals. A vote to pick the new ACC headquarter city is reportedly expected to take place no later than the end of April.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/14/charlotte-orlando-acc-headquarters-finalists-greensboro-location

Here is a story of unknown reliability saying the commissioner expected to make a decision no later than mid June:

https://www.on3.com/news/jim-phillips-acc-expected-to-make-decision-on-relocating-headquarters-in-3-4-weeks-charlotte-north-carolina-orlando-florida/

I know these things have lots of moving parts, but I am guessing we hear something soon.

Edited by kermit

And Senator Garrett has a few thoughts about it (and confirms it).  I imagine after all this being broadcast, an official announcement will come as soon as they pass this.  Assuming they do.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/15-million-dollars-move-acc-atlantic-coast-conference-headquarters-hq-out-leave-greensboro-charlotte-new-nc-north-carolina-proposed-budget-bill/83-9ead32e3-c2e7-4c87-92e6-1f671f93f3d2

Edited by turbocraig
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, turbocraig said:

And Senator Garrett has a few thoughts about it (and confirms it).  I imagine after all this being broadcast, an official announcement will come as soon as they pass this.  Assuming they do.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/15-million-dollars-move-acc-atlantic-coast-conference-headquarters-hq-out-leave-greensboro-charlotte-new-nc-north-carolina-proposed-budget-bill/83-9ead32e3-c2e7-4c87-92e6-1f671f93f3d2

There are several forces at work in the state capital that will necessitate this deal.  The ACC has zeroed in Charlotte and Orlando. Charlotte is the assumed favorite because it's an in-state relocation. 

6 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

The ACC really did a great job dipping into public coffers for a 50 person office.... other than bragging rights (for the people that care?).... not sure this really adds to the economy much. 

And an instate move to boot (it’s unusual that the state would incentivise that). Those four additional basketball tournaments are not nothing though.

Having said that there is a ton of history around the ACC that is relevant from a political perspective. There are lots of politically connected North Carolinians who would notice if the ACC left. From an economic sense it’s certainly possible that the conference system will be completely restructured over the next decade (and conferences are unlikely to meaningfully participate in NIL activities) so the office might be gone in 10 years, but it’s also possible the office will help grow  our sports media cluster.  

TLDR: there are worse things the state could have thrown its money at

Edited by kermit

Yeah - as a Greensboro resident, it’s pretty galling to see the state kick in money for something the ACC seemed keen to do on its own anyway. I don’t think Orlando was ever a realistic option, but it served its purpose in enabling a $15M shakedown.

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I thought that too about the $15 M but then I saw this and it is requiring a lot more ACC events in the state. 

From the Biz Journal:

""In order to receive the money, the conference would, by the conclusion of the 2032-33 academic year, have to:

Hold four men's collegiate basketball postseason championship tournaments in the state in addition to those already scheduled. At least two of the tournaments must be held in the city of Greensboro.
Hold four women's collegiate basketball postseason championship tournaments in addition to those already scheduled.
Hold four men's collegiate baseball postseason championship tournaments in addition to those already scheduled.
Hold 20 other collegiate postseason championship tournaments in North Carolina addition to those already scheduled or otherwise are already slated to be held in the state as a result of a set cycle of championship tournaments""

another thing it is noted that ACC might be looking at uptown Charlotte and Johnny Harris of Lincoln Harris might be ready to announce their location in his mystery tower at Legacy.  Think about it they could walk to their basketball, football and baseball tournaments and games. 

It's a meager consolation prize for Greensboro though - other than two men's basketball tournaments, the rest of those additional events could take place anywhere in NC. I just think it's a bad look for the state to give out incentives for an intrastate relocation. The ACC would have made the same decision with or without the $15M.

Also, this is Exhibit A to call BS on the next Republican who howls about limited government or fiscal restraint as a reason not to fund transit or other pro-urban policies.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jthomas said:

It's a meager consolation prize for Greensboro though - other than two men's basketball tournaments, the rest of those additional events could take place anywhere in NC. I just think it's a bad look for the state to give out incentives for an intrastate relocation. The ACC would have made the same decision with or without the $15M.

Also, this is Exhibit A to call BS on the next Republican who howls about limited government or fiscal restraint as a reason not to fund transit or other pro-urban policies.

Yes but this is state money and I dont like it but when I read about all the events they would require to be in NC it makes it better.  they support major golf tournaments and other big special events so there is that.  I don't think it was ever going to Orlando.     Why could not greensboro get the ACC baseball championship or the ACC golf tourney or at least the swimming championship?  Greensboro has a lot of venues that could support these championships and at least it requires them to be in NC.   Believe me here in Charlotte I would take the 1750 jobs with Toyota Battery or the 1500 plus jobs with Boom Supersonic any day over this 50 person office.  But this is a one off for this organization and wont be repeated. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Yes but this is state money and I dont like it but when I read about all the events they would require to be in NC it makes it better.  they support major golf tournaments and other big special events so there is that.  I don't think it was ever going to Orlando.     Why could not greensboro get the ACC baseball championship or the ACC golf tourney or at least the swimming championship?  Greensboro has a lot of venues that could support these championships and at least it requires them to be in NC.   Believe me here in Charlotte I would take the 1750 jobs with Toyota Battery or the 1500 plus jobs with Boom Supersonic any day over this 50 person office.  But this is a one off for this organization and wont be repeated. 

If the state's goal is to increase NC's share of hosting ACC championships, then they should directly subsidize those events through a tourism or special events fund. Tying this to an incentive for an intrastate corporate relocation is dubious, especially in the absence of a serious competitive bid. North Carolina (Greensboro included) is already a very competitive location for these events due to conference geography, venue quality, and local support. Many of these events would have likely gone to NC anyway without the provision in the law, because it is the best choice regardless of incentives.

Bottom line - the ACC got a $15M giveaway to make the decisions it would have made anyway. Good on them, but a bad look for the state government.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jthomas said:

If the state's goal is to increase NC's share of hosting ACC championships, then they should directly subsidize those events through a tourism or special events fund. Tying this to an incentive for an intrastate corporate relocation is dubious, especially in the absence of a serious competitive bid. North Carolina (Greensboro included) is already a very competitive location for these events due to conference geography, venue quality, and local support. Many of these events would have likely gone to NC anyway without the provision in the law, because it is the best choice regardless of incentives.

Bottom line - the ACC got a $15M giveaway to make the decisions it would have made anyway. Good on them, but a bad look for the state government.

Based on the news about USC/UCLA to the B1G, the long-term viability of the ACC seems less certain.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Now in the warehouse and industrial market Charlotte metro is en fuego.  Imagine if just half this net absorption for warehouse/maunfacturing  space was office space.  There would be towers going up all over the city.

Fundamentals Forecast YTD net absorption 8,096,459 s.f. Under construction 11,981,811 s.f. ▼ Pre-leased 14.6% ▶ YTD deliveries 14,719,101 s.f. ▲ Total vacancy 4.6% ▲ Total availability 8.6% ▲ Average asking rent $7.48 p.s.f. ▲ Concessions Stable ▶   CHARLOTTE 

Fundamentals Forecast YTD net absorption 5,178,089 s.f. ▼ Under construction 5,596,901 s.f. ▼ Pre-leased 61.5% ▲ YTD deliveries 7,838,779 s.f. ▲ Total vacancy 4.7% ▶ Average asking rent $7.74 p.s.f. ▶ Concessions Flat   NASHVILLE 

• Like 1

Here is the Cushman and Wakefield office market report.  You can read the details about the Charlotte office market where 24% of the Charlotte office vacancy is in 10 buildings in uptown!

Charlotte MarketBeats | United States | Cushman & Wakefield (cushmanwakefield.com)

they are predicting no new office starts in the next quarter or two which of course delays in any future new office space.  

• Like 3

• 2 months later...