Affordable Housing in Charlotte

KJHburg

since this is housing related I will put this here.  Charlotte is affordable vis a vi the rest of the country.   However this does not mean everyone can afford decent housing in the area.  I question some of the Texas as their property taxes are out of sight compared to Charlotte.   But this is just on price.  Look at NYC 

How-Much-Home-Can-You-Buy-with-200000.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Now the business community is getting involved in affordable housing. As I said government can not solve this on its own.  We need business support like this and charitable organizations like Habitat to help with this problem.    This is great news the Foundations of the Carolinas wants to match the $50 million public investment  with private dollars.  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/05/25/what-charlottes-business-community-can-do-to-help.html

• Like 1

Pappas will now donate land back to the Charlotte so they can build affordable housing at the Scaleybark station after a 12 year wait.  But instead for the lowest income now it will be those earning 80% of the income.   This whole thing is convoluted so read about it here 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article212193139.html#emlnl=Breaking_Newsletter

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Pappas will now donate land back to the Charlotte so they can build affordable housing at the Scaleybark station after a 12 year wait.  But instead for the lowest income now it will be those earning 80% of the income.   This whole thing is convoluted so read about it here 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article212193139.html#emlnl=Breaking_Newsletter

So do I have this right that the city is still short on its initial investment of $9.2 million?  Or they essentially 'paid' $4 million for 2.31 acres.   

On the other side of the deal, Pappas paid $5.2 million for 16 acres but has sold 4 to Pulte for $6.6 million and deeded the 2.31.   So they essentially were given 10+ acres and $1.2 million for sitting on the sidelines for 12 years.  Do I have that right?

Thats not the complete story. My understanding is that the city bought the land for $9.2m and sold it to pappas for $5.2m but he has to build a parking deck for light rail use when its all built out which I assume he is still on the hook for (plus the original plan also said he had to build the 80 affordable housing units). So now they are getting the parking deck and 2.3 acres instead. So they are getting something for for the $4.0m. Obviously one side of this transaction fared better but they had to give some sort of incentive to just find someone that gave them the hope of affordable housing.

1 hour ago, jwntim said:

Thats not the complete story. My understanding is that the city bought the land for $9.2m and sold it to pappas for $5.2m but he has to build a parking deck for light rail use when its all built out which I assume he is still on the hook for (plus the original plan also said he had to build the 80 affordable housing units). So now they are getting the parking deck and 2.3 acres instead. So they are getting something for for the $4.0m. Obviously one side of this transaction fared better but they had to give some sort of incentive to just find someone that gave them the hope of affordable housing.

The parking deck changes everything.  Is that on a 24 year timeline?  :tw_grimace:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
since this is housing related I will put this here.  Charlotte is affordable vis a vi the rest of the country.   However this does not mean everyone can afford decent housing in the area.  I question some of the Texas as their property taxes are out of sight compared to Charlotte.   But this is just on price.  Look at NYC 
How-Much-Home-Can-You-Buy-with-200000.png.06cd423f7bb1eadf0d393e6770ce4168.png

Just saw this. Hah. Good luck finding a single thing for 200k in Brooklyn. Maybe a cardboard box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

Charlotte could learn a thing or two about affordable housing from this project in Houston.  Basically building efficiencies to hold down costs and having ovens in more communal type kitchens to keep costs down.  For 170 studios or efficiencies renting for $550 including utilities is hitting a sweet spot.  Why must all new apartments have full kitchens?  This sounds like a great project. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/11/02/houston-nonprofit-to-break-ground-on-28m.html?ana=e_me_set1&s=newsletter&ed=2018-11-05&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1541428485&j=84832871

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Here is what the little city of Savannah is doing about homelessness and affordable housing.  The city approved a 72 unit tiny house development for homeless vets.  Bigger cities like Charlotte should take note.  Next time I am in hostess city I will swing by and take some photos for I am there a lot.  the founder of Savannah based Nine Line apparel is a major benefactor of this project.  

https://www.savannahnow.com/news/20190126/tiny-houses-just-down-payment-in-savannahs-battle-against-homelessness

https://www.wsav.com/news/local-news/construction-starts-on-site-of-tiny-house-project/1729051375

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Great news more donations for affordable housing in Charlotte. $13 M from 5/3 Bank and Atrium health.  And land donation by the Brooks family home of the popular Brooks Sandwich shop in NoDa 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/04/latest-big-donors-bring-charlotte-housing-campaign.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Here is more details on the Brooks family donation of land in east Charlotte to Habitat for Humanity.  I do agree this is worth as much as the millions given by the big corporations and with land cost the most important cost in housing.  

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/168750/the-brooks-sandwich-house-brothers-just-donated-family-land-to-help-charlottes-affordable-housing-crisis/

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here is more details on the Brooks family donation of land in east Charlotte to Habitat for Humanity.  I do agree this is worth as much as the millions given by the big corporations and with land cost the most important cost in housing.  

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/168750/the-brooks-sandwich-house-brothers-just-donated-family-land-to-help-charlottes-affordable-housing-crisis/

Very cool, anyone know what part of Sharon Forest it is in? No address listed.

Compared to other 2nd ring suburbs, that neighborhood area has better connectivity than most. (in terms of Neighborhood streets; WT Harris/Idlewild/Indy are still rough).

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

Just now, SgtCampsalot said:

Compared to other 2ns ring suburb areas, that neighborhood area has better connectivity than most. (in terms of Neighborhood streets; WT Harris/Idlewild/Indy are still rough).

Sharon Forest is right off Independence near the Surplus Warehouse store (old CompUSA store) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 8:39 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

Compared to other 2nd ring suburbs, that neighborhood area has better connectivity than most. (in terms of Neighborhood streets; WT Harris/Idlewild/Indy are still rough).

According to a thread on Nextdoor, the donated land was part of the woods that face Harris between East Lane and the old Sharon Forest Baptist Church. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have been to Florida and Southern California and visited older neighborhoods in those locations you may have seen bungalow courts. There are many example photos online. These allow numerous smaller homes arranged around a common entry court. The homes are apartment sized, 2 br 1 bath at the largest usually. These provide affordable living because the land costs as well as construction cost are reduced per unit. As far as I know the only similar example in Charlotte is Rensselaer Place-Cleveland Court in Dilworth from the 1920's. This could work in many neighborhoods, not just dense areas. A hybrid apartment or single home-condo. A potential affordable option.

The word "c*u*m",  a preposition meaning "combined with", converts to the word "sprite" on this site and cannot be changed. FYI

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Haha 3