Affordable Housing in Charlotte

KJHburg

Charlotte might learn from Atlanta and how our big city neighbor to the south has REDUCED their homeless count on the streets and parks in Atlanta.

Lessons for Charlotte here for sure,

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2020/01/17/groups-work-together-to-decrease-homelessness.html

I like their motto to make homelessness in ATL rare, brief and non recurring. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not trying to discredit this guy's story but Charlotte construction industry cannot find enough people for their jobs currently that they bring in people from out of the area through staffing agencies just to finish the jobs they are already on, while passing on other opportunities because they are too busy.. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JHart said:

Not trying to discredit this guy's story but Charlotte construction industry cannot find enough people for their jobs currently that they bring in people from out of the area through staffing agencies just to finish the jobs they are already on, while passing on other opportunities because they are too busy.. 

According to BLS, construction jobs in Charlotte have stabilized or fallen 

latest_numbers_SMU37167401500000001_2009

Edited by urbanlover568

13 hours ago, urbanlover568 said:

According to BLS, construction jobs in Charlotte have stabilized or fallen 

latest_numbers_SMU37167401500000001_2009

So they were 1-2k lower than the peak of Charlotte history throughout all of 2019 and this doesn't show 2020 data.. Listen, I'm not saying we don't have a problem with homeless people here in Charlotte, but lack of construction jobs is the worst excuse I've heard yet. If you have a heartbeat and can pass a drug test you could start a construction job next week here in Charlotte

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JHart said:

So they were 1-2k lower than the peak of Charlotte history throughout all of 2019 and this doesn't show 2020 data.. Listen, I'm not saying we don't have a problem with homeless people here in Charlotte, but lack of construction jobs is the worst excuse I've heard yet. If you have a heartbeat and can pass a drug test you could start a construction job next week here in Charlotte

I don't know man. The guy came from Pittsburgh to look for a job. He doesn't have internet obviously to look and apply. Hopefully someone directs him to a NC Works facility. I think some may be making assumptions and prejudices here "oh, he's on the street, why doesn't he get a job". I think the majority of homeless don't enjoy being homeless.

12 hours ago, kermit said:

Ain't this some BS: (from the Ledger)

Later in the piece the neighborhood association guy says: “we would support the project if the developer just built a parking deck.” Dude appears to be oblivious to the economics of structured parking and affordable housing.

“Charlotte: Every car deserves a home!”

I mean won’t the gold line be close... and buses? Why do they need a parking deck? No sense

the way this could be solved and yes many of the working poor do have cars as buses and trains in this city (and in most places) don't go everywhere the jobs are.  I think if 2/3 of this building was for seniors aged 55 and above you would reduce the need for parking as many seniors do not drive.   I just question why this plan was proposed in the first place for so many units on such a small lot not immediately adjacent to transit.   

• Like 1

I don't know why citizens and the city continue to force parking. Why aren't we given choices. I think people would be surprised to find those who would be willing to live somewhere if it was slightly cheaper but lacked parking. Currently I am living in an apartment and don't use the parking but I am forced to pay for everyone's parking via my rent. The city should be celebrating less parking and anything that lowers the cost of living. 

Edited by Nathan2
  • Thanks 2

We are regulating ourselves out of affordable housing. Parking is certainly  the easiest (and probably most signifiant) regulatory requirement we could easily change to reduce the cost of housing.

Do we, as a society, want to subsidize housing or parking? There is no reason we must do both.  I know which I would prioritize....

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

While I don’t entirely agree with where he ends up there is a thoughtful story by Greg Lacour in Charlotte Mag on affordable housing.  

https://www.charlottemagazine.com/we-dont-want-to-lose-our-waiters-inside-the-creation-of-charlottes-city-plan/

I mention an analogy coined by a friend and colleague: that planning Charlotte’s growth in 2020 is like trying to throw a saddle on a horse in mid-gallop. “The current approach is worse than that, because it’s not even throwing a saddle on it,” Kelly replies. “We’re clearing the pass so the horse can run faster.”

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the matrix of affordable housing that can be built in the city with the different options of the First Ward blocks.  Look how many more can built around town if they don't build them right uptown.  

What is the difference between '7th & Tryon' and 'Inlivian'? At face value, option 3 seems best to me.

• Like 1

I wonder if something like this could affordability in Charlotte where people have private bathrooms and bedrooms aka single occupancy and shared living and kitchen areas.   

https://www.bisnow.com/south-florida/news/economy/pmg-society-las-olas-104635

This is just a neat design from the Swiss.

https://archinect.com/news/article/150201443/swiss-architects-construct-a-cylindrical-modular-structure-for-use-as-student-housing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I wonder if something like this could affordability in Charlotte where people have private bathrooms and bedrooms aka single occupancy and shared living and kitchen areas.   

https://www.bisnow.com/south-florida/news/economy/pmg-society-las-olas-104635

This is just a neat design from the Swiss.

https://archinect.com/news/article/150201443/swiss-architects-construct-a-cylindrical-modular-structure-for-use-as-student-housing

McCreesh and Moore Place apts are like this, though they are more targeted to helping those affected by homelessness and drug abuse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

McCreesh and Moore Place apts are like this, though they are more targeted to helping those affected by homelessness and drug abuse.

and we need a lot more of them to help people get on their feet with lower wage jobs.   we can't have encampments around town we need housing.  

• Like 1

Just now, XRZ.ME said:

Any statistics on how many units of affordable housing now exist in Charlotte.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

that would be a good question for CHA Inlivian as there are more and more affordable housing projects all over the county and then there is the NOAH naturally occurring affordable housing which is mainly older apartment complexes that offer affordable rents.  There will be never enough but I think Charlotte is a making a good effort for this problem which by the way is an issue in every major city in the country. 

• Like 1