Affordable Housing in Charlotte

KJHburg

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Think about what this means for affordable housing everywhere:

I'm always amazed that there are people living in 4,000 square foot houses that have so much junk and stuff that they can't even fit their cars in a three car garage and have to driveway park. Lots of people are hoarders haha. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte needs to think outside the box in affordable housing and container houses are another idea (in addition to tiny homes)

Container Village in Wilmington is an example.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/shipping-container-homes/

https://www.cargodistrict.com/

The Cargo District apartments in Wilmington rent for $1,050 a month (not exactly cheap, but a good deal for a "new" apartment). Preserving older apartment buildings looks to be a more sustainable solution to providing affordable options in Wilmington (older buildings having units under $800 a month). 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

I was thinking more of building container apartments a little more  basic than those in Wilmington as they said they could be done for $50K a unit which is cheap but of course does not include the land.  we need land trusts which hold on to land and lease it out and there is one already in Charlotte.  However in some cities there are many.   as I stated before the city and county have some vacant unused property that can be used for affordable housing of some sort.  

• Like 3

Great national exposure for preserving Charlotte's NOAH  naturally occurring affordable housing.   This is a great program along with new construction goes a long way to keeping Charlotte affordable to many of residents. 

Charlotte may have cracked the code on affordable housing. Here's how (fastcompany.com)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Based on this analysis it looks like ADUs in California have improved affordability

https://www.aducalifornia.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Implementing-the-Backyard-Revolution.pdf

we found that a large portion of units are available to those making less than 80% of the area median income (AMI), though the over-all affordability varies significantly by county.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://ui.uncc.edu/story/wall-street-backed-landlords-now-own-more-11000-single-family-homes-charlotte

Study at UNCC about investor-owned properties in Charlotte. Almost 5% of single family homes, and this doesn't include smaller investors who also own a big piece of the Charlotte housing supply. These are also focused primarily on rentals on the lower income side. 

• Sad 1

This is a great start the city has identified multiple properties across town for affordable housing.  The tract by Arrowood station is a fantastic site.  I still wish more consideration at the Eastland Mall site.  I think a lot more could have mixed in there along with for sale etc. 

Unused, donated city of Charlotte real estate may be developed with affordable housing - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""The identified sites, which total about 24 acres, include:7.5 acres on Wendover Road
2.6 acres on Providence Road West (behind the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department's new South Division Station)
1.3 acres on Newland Avenue
1.8 acres on University City Boulevard, along the Lynx Blue Line's northern extension
6.3 acres on Archdale Drive
4.5 acres on South Boulevard, along the Blue Line
15.6 acres on England Street, along the Blue Line
Two of the parcels were donated to the city by the Brooks family that owns Brooks' Sandwich House in NoDa.""

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting Winston Salem is going to build affordable housing on 253 city owned lots out of 600+ plus parcels.  How many lots does Char Meck own through tax foreclosures etc?  I would guess we have many city owned individual lots.

Winston-Salem could require affordable housing on land it sells — or gives to — developers. Plan is allowed under new law. | Local News | journalnow.com

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

How many lots does Char Meck own through tax foreclosures etc?  I would guess we have many city owned individual lots.

Maybe none, at least not from tax delinquency. Your question made me curious. I have previously had a nearby house with a series of highly questionable rental tenants and wondered about the owner. Looking through the records there had not been a tax bill paid in over 10 years. It looked like it was owned by a guy with multiple properties around town starting in the 70s and 80s.  When he passed away they were deeded to his heirs, but the paperwork was fouled up on at least two of them - there was a typo in the address of the grantee. So the tax bills were undeliverable. The new owner probably didn't realize (or decided to ignore it). 

At any rate, I looked at a few properties scheduled for auction in July - one with 24 years of unpaid bills. They remain deeded to the delinquent owners (undoubtedly with an added tax lien), and evidently will remain so until it's sold at auction in a few weeks. I guess that makes sense. The county tax assessor doesn't want to be a landlord or have the other responsibilities of property ownership (liability, upkeep, etc).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This project has been planned for years. I know not why it comes now but glad of it. I was in the Plato Price building in the early 70's. It was decommissioned as a school in 1966 and became storage for used supplies and materials. My living partner in 1974-75 wanted to go to an auction/sale there for a desk for her son and I wandered the typewriters, cabinets, sordidly used books, industrial kitchen equipment and whatnot to the max. The building had clearly been well used by that time and limited maintenance in its last years and during storage period time of its life. Sat on that ridge overlooking Morris Field Drive across from a large building that faced Wilkinson that was a Ford auto parts warehouse. Black schools were for all grades then, 1-11 or 12. It was country when it was used and was a long way from the city.

White schools in the county were also all grades until the early 1950's. A separate high school was for city of Charlotte students only. City and County schools were separate until ~1959 or so by my memory. Someone please correct me I am too lazy to search. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Plato Price school location. School was on this hill overlooking Morris Field Drive. Morris Field was the military portion of the airfield of the late 1930's to 1940's.

IMG_0472.thumb.JPG.168c0ce17234a4010547f0051971248a.JPG

Recent survey stakes set for underground. Speak with a registered land surveyor about his activities. It is not only metes and bounds, borders, topography, it is slope, direction of runoff water, location of storm drains, height of curb, depth and width of utilities undergound for excavators, grading angles, so much more. Everything that touches the ground, including water must be accounted for. And he often works with equipment roaring at his back, impatient for him to finish so they can put the rented equipment to use as fast as possible. Mistakes, he has made a few.

IMG_0470.thumb.JPG.bf38b21cd727e9794111d1e02066bbd3.JPG

This is the original approach.

.IMG_0469.thumb.JPG.fbd7d3f4bafa8491ea22515ccb6b2a0a.JPG

Water, I assume. Blue is water, red is electricity, yellow is gas, as I recall.

IMG_0471.thumb.JPG.0a84b607c3716be8a748fc29eb62a126.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...