Affordable Housing in Charlotte

KJHburg

some ideas to increase affordable housing and there is no easy or cheap solution.  Every city I read a Biz Journal in is having this problem including affordable markets like Houston.  Nashville is behind Charlotte in this regard and they are now a more expensive housing market than us. 

https://ui.charlotte.edu/story/searching-solutions-charlotte’s-affordable-housing-crisis

• Like 3

this is not affordable housing per se but more  affordable housing than the typical new apartment complex in Charlotte.  I knew about the University area hotel to apartment conversion but not the other one on Westpark Dr off Tyvola.  Both were older Residence Inn by Marriott. 

https://www.connectcre.com/stories/hotel-to-multifamily-conversion-brings-new-business-stream-to-rkw/

Residence Inns have gone to more midrise model now than these original 1st generation ones that were separate building.  Even the Homewood Suites I stayed at Peachtree Corners outside of ATL is being converted to apartments I read after I stayed there. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yet another hotel to apartment conversion in Charlotte.  Off the top of my head these have been done or in the works hotel on Research Drive and Residence Inn and a Homewood Suites both on N Tryon all in University area.    (3 conversions in that area)  Hotel conversion of old Residence Inn off Westpark Drive in south Charlotte.  Now this one is up for a rezoning Homewood Suites on Yorkmount Rd off Billy Graham     That would be 5 I know of around town. 

Polaris 3G (mecklenburgcountync.gov)

from the Ledger

2022-077. Blue Ocean. 3.64 acres at 2770 Yorkmont Road from I-1 to MUDD-O. “Adaptive-reuse hotel to residential conversion.” 103 units. Rezoning agent: Alexander Ricks.

Here is the Spoke on Tyvola an old residence inn now an apartment complex

https://www.thespoketyvola.com/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Wait, you can convert hotel to apartments? Wow, crazy! Has the city of Charlotte heard about this??

Yes just not a brick high rise uptown that Inlivian owns while in the suburbs 5 hotels have been converted to apartments. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh...

image.png.c5b587cfce05830af1e4008210d0e71f.png

After watching the drone video you cannot convince me that adding 212 more cars to that morass would make any discernible difference. Traffic is bad down there, its never gonna get better, we might as well build some places for people to live.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/22/2022 at 11:26 AM, kermit said:

Sigh...

image.png.c5b587cfce05830af1e4008210d0e71f.png

After watching the drone video you cannot convince me that adding 212 more cars to that morass would make any discernible difference. Traffic is bad down there, its never gonna get better, we might as well build some places for people to live.

Sounds like typical ass backwards NIMBYs. They don't realize how stupid they'll look in the flipside.

Isn't that the same development Jason Thomas had some critiques about and a couple posters were irritated by?

Too bad there's so many NIMBY's in Charlotte who voice their concerns and notch quite the wins decade after decade (at least Charlotte got a unique pink building out of one of their wins). I never heard one NIMBY tell another "Well. You know, it has to be this dense because the Lenders say so! The Developers ran the numbers and this is how many units they need for a good return!" Never... The Charlotte NIMBY's don't give a brick about the Developers because they worry about traffic. About schools being overcrowded. Their quality of life... 

Notably the Article is title "Residents voice opposition...". Residents. You don't need to be powerful to force through some changes. Will it work here? Dunno. But NIMBY's win way more than the Urbanist win. In fact, it's hard to find a strong group of urban advocates in Charlotte. Which is not the same as being "pro-developer" and following underwriting to maximize profits for their investors who may not even live in the country.

We need as many Jason Thomas's tweeting and voicing their opinions as the NIMBY's do... 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

I drove past that area Sunday afternoon. I drove Providence and also on Hwy 51 there was no sign of traffic issues. Arboretum was flush with cars. Granted, this is a placid period but judging traffic by the single worst period of the day and week is maybe not the most effective evidence.  

I worked at high schools in this region and if I used only the period when there was the most school traffic then EVERY high school adjacent development would be like this.  

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Isn't that the same development Jason Thomas had some critiques about and a couple posters were irritated by?

Too bad there's so many NIMBY's in Charlotte who voice their concerns and notch quite the wins decade after decade (at least Charlotte got a unique pink building out of one of their wins). I never heard one NIMBY tell another "Well. You know, it has to be this dense because the Lenders say so! The Developers ran the numbers and this is how many units they need for a good return!" Never... The Charlotte NIMBY's don't give a brick about the Developers because they worry about traffic. About schools being overcrowded. Their quality of life... 

Notably the Article is title "Residents voice opposition...". Residents. You don't need to be powerful to force through some changes. Will it work here? Dunno. But NIMBY's win way more than the Urbanist win. In fact, it's hard to find a strong group of urban advocates in Charlotte. Which is not the same as being "pro-developer" and following underwriting to maximize profits for their investors who may not even live in the country.

We need as many Jason Thomas's tweeting and voicing their opinions as the NIMBY's do... 

Nah this one is near Pineville-Matthews.  I live near the upcoming Scaleybark one and am fine with the scale of the building but agree we just need retail or something on that corner!

76E3EQLEKNAMJKB6NJH6OCBYXQ.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Here is Habitat's new neighborhood going up in west Charlotte.  This is just great and we need to find other land for small little neighborhoods like this maybe on some unused land owned by the county, city or CMS.

https://www.wbtv.com/2022/10/20/construction-begins-habitat-humanitys-new-project-west-charlotte/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Post as a somewhat breathless piece on the recent success of ADUs in California in increasing housing supply.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/05/21/adu-granny-flat-california-housing-crisis/ [probably paywalled]

I am glad the Post was excited, the numbers they shared (23,000 ADU permits last year in California) didn't wow me, but increases since the 2017 legalization are certainly a good sign. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 8:42 PM, kermit said:

The Post as a somewhat breathless piece on the recent success of ADUs in California in increasing housing supply.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/05/21/adu-granny-flat-california-housing-crisis/ [probably paywalled]

I am glad the Post was excited, the numbers they shared (23,000 ADU permits last year in California) didn't wow me, but increases since the 2017 legalization are certainly a good sign. 

Luckily, ADUs are now allowed by right within Charlotte. That will definitely provide an additional tool to Charlotte to provide more affordable housing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update on the Habitat for Humanity Carter project in west Charlotte with 39 new homes.  

https://www.wcnc.com/article/money/markets/real-estate/affordable-housing-crisis/history-of-president-jimmy-carter-habitat-for-humanity-carter-work-project-charlotte-north-carolina/275-e016c848-f7b7-41d1-9a27-9e13482e9639

Local affiliates are H4H Charlotte 

https://www.habitatcltregion.org/

Habitat Our Towns which is the northern Meck towns

Habitat Cabarrus   https://www.habitatcabarrus.org/

Habitat Union County  https://www.unionhabitat.org/

support this fine organization solving the affordable housing crisis one home at a time and allowing for wealth and equity to be built up. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great story about Habitat for Humanity and their upcoming homebuilding blitz here in Charlotte.

also something I have always wondered about when some one sells a Habitat home what happens?  This has happened in Optimist Park.

NC trend: Garth Brooks to celebrate Habitat for Humanity's Carter effort - Business North Carolina (businessnc.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1