Brevard @ 4th St - Moxy Hotel - 20 Story - 226ft tower

Scribe

11 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

lost 20 rooms and got 5 floors shorter, how disapointing. 

One would think developers would want as much capacity as possible given CLT's long-terms growth prospects, no?  

I get the impression that growth in the U.S., and even within individual states, is getting more and more concentrated. Seems like you could hedge on bigger buildings with confidence in select regions. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Urbs42 said:

One would think developers would want as much capacity as possible given CLT's long-terms growth prospects, no?  

I get the impression that growth in the U.S., and even within individual states, is getting more and more concentrated. Seems like you could hedge on bigger buildings with confidence in select regions. 

I'm just as surprised as you. Got a Q out to the developer.

39 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

lost 20 rooms and got 5 floors shorter, how disapointing. 

Very disappointing; however, at least a surface lot is disappearing, and maybe it can be some sort of catalyst for more development in the area.  At least I hope so.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NikolaTesla said:

So from that to this, i liked the funky pink, although the new building looks less EFISY? 

Df0Np8NX4AAtiMs.jpeg

image.thumb.png.47f32df47745e00bbfcfff18c5966ef2.png

image.thumb.png.7ffbcccfebf4da44c659186fdaa6cb78.png

It wasn't EIFS before, it was stone veneer. and the pink might come back.

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

So I was wrong, its the same amount of rooms, i'm just remembering it wrong.  It actually GAINED rooms, but somehow got shorter. 

They might have decided to increase the percentage of tiny dorm style rooms in the room mix and eliminated some standard sized guest rooms. 

Edited by CLT2014

2 minutes ago, NikolaTesla said:

RDF21 for PINK 2019.  If anyone can influence, it's RDF. 

Pink it's my new obsession
Yeah, pink it's not even a question
Pink on the lips of your lover, cause
Pink is the love you discovah

2 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

They might have decided to increase the percentage of tiny dorm style rooms as a percentage of the room mix and eliminated some standard sized guest rooms. 

Nah I think they just went from a 26 foot setback to a 16 foot setback and got girthier.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Pink it's my new obsession
Yeah, pink it's not even a question
Pink on the lips of your lover, cause
Pink is the love you discovah

Random side note, we have a popular tv station back home in Serbia/Bosnia called PINK and PINK PLUS lol 

Edited by NikolaTesla
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

lies. there can never be enough pink. Its not just for wearing on wednesdays.

Moxy LOVES pink. There will some pink some where on this thing. I'd bet anything on it. 

Stayed at the Moxy in Chicago once. It had good drink specials and 24/7 tacos, so I was a fan.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dale said:

We may be in the minority, but I agree with you.

Lol. I’m used to it and then attacked. But It’s rare that I hate a rending that much as I did the first one. I get the concept of it but...just no.  Usually when I like one, in reality it doesn’t come out at good, so I’m sure I would have hated all those random colors with that design. This new rendering looks a lot more attractive. I love lots of color but they have to go together nicely and the original was hideous to me.

Don't have much experience with Moxy (frankly when I travel I don't spend much time at the Hotel itself other than to rest) but from my research I find it hard to believe there won't be a pink element with this hotel.  Maybe a little more nuanced, but I think some of the accents will be pink. I just hope they don't make the lighting the only pink element, it needs to be popping during the day as well.

On another note, does anyone know why they chose this specific plot? I realize it's close to Spectrum, the Epicenter, as well as a lot of the office towers, but it fronts the real ugly side of the transit center. I hate to be one of those "transit creates a negative image" guys. But in this particular case, it kind of does. Not to mention that CATS often parks buses along the road, this is sure to cause conflict. 

58 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

In terms of the exterior facade?  Or might we still be closer to 20 stories instead of 15?

Nah, its 15 floors. I'm assuming by making it 10 feet wider they were able to squeeze in 2 or more units per floor. so they were able to shorten it. 

11 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Don't have much experience with Moxy (frankly when I travel I don't spend much time at the Hotel itself other than to rest) but from my research I find it hard to believe there won't be a pink element with this hotel.  Maybe a little more nuanced, but I think some of the accents will be pink. I just hope they don't make the lighting the only pink element, it needs to be popping during the day as well.

On another note, does anyone know why they chose this specific plot? I realize it's close to Spectrum, the Epicenter, as well as a lot of the office towers, but it fronts the real ugly side of the transit center. I hate to be one of those "transit creates a negative image" guys. But in this particular case, it kind of does. Not to mention that CATS often parks buses along the road, this is sure to cause conflict. 

Still not clear whether Gateway will replace/supplant CTC or if it’s here to stay.

42 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

The price point of Moxy Hotel rooms makes it acceptable to have a "B" location. They will be a closer walk to the center of the city than the other hotels competing in their market segment (Hampton Inn, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, Hilton Garden Inn) so they probably found the trade off worth it. Especially since they expect their guests to spend most of their time out of their room exploring (hence the small square footage).

Brands like JW Marriott, Hyatt Regency, Westin, etc... would probably not be interested in a "B" location like this, hence  hotels in the full service segment are concentrated on Church St, Tryon St, or College St. The Sheraton and Le Meridien are complete outliers, and the reviews for those hotels reflect guest's disappointment of the location for the price point. Not really sure why anybody would pick those hotels...

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1